Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Francois Couperin - XIIth Ordre of the Harpsichord Pieces
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:20 pm 

I have listened to some of these and all in all they are like rich food: very tasty but must be taken in small doses and that is how I appreciate them. It makes me regret a bit having passed on my Farfisa organ, which had a perfect harpsichord register, to my niece. Or maybe it was a good thing, as she now is on the road to becoming an opera singer.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

Last edited by richard66 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:57 pm 

richard66 wrote:
I have listened to some of these and all in all they are like rich food: very tasty but must be taken in small doses and that is how I appreciate them. It makes me regret a bit having passed on my Farfisa organ, which had a perfect harpsochord register, to my niece. Or maybe it was a good thing, as she now is on the road to becoming an opera singer.

Thank you Richard. Small doses, yes; fortunately, the pieces are short, like 'petits fours'. Maybe some champagne would help !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:48 pm 

Hello François, these are played beautifully with full technical control and musicality. A nice return indeed! It looks like that it's up to you to resurrect Baroque harpsichord music. :D I agree the Yamaha P120 puts a good sample of the harpsichord's tonal and timbral characteristics. The "guitar" sound and velocity sensitive keys do add more expressive character, but the music does exceed the guitar's low limit at E2 (82.4Hz).
I wonder if there is a way to similarly "change" the sound acoustically with a real harpsichord by placing the mics away from the tangent and point them toward the other end of the strings to reduce stridency? Or with felt strips/dampers interlaced between the strings like on some pianos?...
This is masterful playing here, François, rendered with stylistic accuracy!

George

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:00 pm 

88man wrote:
Hello François, these are played beautifully with full technical control and musicality. A nice return indeed! It looks like that it's up to you to resurrect Baroque harpsichord music. :D I agree the Yamaha P120 puts a good sample of the harpsichord's tonal and timbral characteristics. The "guitar" sound and velocity sensitive keys do add more expressive character, but the music does exceed the guitar's low limit at E2 (82.4Hz).
I wonder if there is a way to similarly "change" the sound acoustically with a real harpsichord by placing the mics away from the tangent and point them toward the other end of the strings to reduce stridency? Or with felt strips/dampers interlaced between the strings like on some pianos?...
This is masterful playing here, François, rendered with stylistic accuracy!

George

Hi George,
Thank you for your kind appreciation. Well, it is true that I love the music of first half of XVIIIth century, and I had the chance to have a good piano professor, who was also an organist, and who gave me quite early this virus !
You're right noting that my pseudo guitar sound has a wider register than a real guitar, but is it a problem ? Regarding your question about the possibility of changing the harpsichord sound, I have little competence in this field, since I have never had a real one, and I have had unfortunately few opportunities in my life to play such an instrument. Recently, we visited here in Lyon a beautiful museum, where there is a magnificent harpsichord. This two-keyboard instrument was built at the end of the XVIIth, and is supposed to have been played by J.Ph. Rameau. I asked, just in case, to the keeper if I might make a small trial, playing some Rameau's pieces, but you can imagine the answer :( ...