Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Clementi - Sonatina Op. 36, No. 4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:38 am 

Hi Monica,

I listened to your redo of this Clementi Sonatina. I have not heard it before, and think you play it well. I agree that the 2nd movement was a little on the slow side, but the passage work and tempo of all three were very much under control, and those fast pieces... you must really have to focus and practice these to play them so fast and clear! It is an inspiration to me :)

Enjoyed listening to these,

Riley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi David, and thank you! :)
I was playing these sonatinas when I was 11 or 12 too! My second teacher introduced me to them and I really loved the whole set; I couldn’t wait to get on to the next one. That’s one reason I think it’s important to change teachers every now and then. Each teacher has his or her own agenda and may not like certain repertoire and therefore does not feel like teaching it to their students. Did you really throw out your Clementi book? I’m actually still using mine today, which has my old piano teacher’s notes in it. Hope Haydn was kind to you… :P

Hi Riley, and thank you too! :)
I think you meant that my second movement is too fast. I’ll have a quiet house to myself tomorrow, so I plan on doing nothing all day but recording (re-recording) this sonatina, as well as all the others too. Regarding my playing: I’ve been playing these sonatinas for a long time, so it’s not too difficult to just sit down and play them, plus they are not too difficult. Except when recording…. :wink: :x :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:35 pm 

Hi Monica,

Yeah, I actually pitched out the Clementi. From a musical styles point of view, I believe I was an entrenched neo-romantic even at that age. :lol: I slightly favored Clementi though over Bach which to me was pure drudgery.

David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:16 pm 

At present our daughter is paying second piano to the rondò, if this will do.

I like your rendition of the outer movements, but I do feel that the middle one could have been... well... more expressive, though not necesarily slower.

These I never played, as I never played Beethoven's sonatinas. It might be due not to a teacher who did not like them, but to the fact I began playing as an old man (that is, considering all pianist seem to start playing while still donning nappies!) and I was all of 18.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:24 pm 

Quote:
over Bach which to me was pure drudgery.

:shock: David! ... Say it's not so :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
Hi Monica,

Yeah, I actually pitched out the Clementi. From a musical styles point of view, I believe I was an entrenched neo-romantic even at that age. :lol: I slightly favored Clementi though over Bach which to me was pure drudgery.
David

I hear you, David! Although, back when I was young I actually liked the little Bach preludes, the ones without figues.

richard66 wrote:
I like your rendition of the outer movements, but I do feel that the middle one could have been... well... more expressive, though not necesarily slower.

Hi Richard and thank you for listening. :) Ok I will strive for more expression when I make my recording.

richard wrote:
It might be due not to a teacher who did not like them, but to the fact I began playing as an old man (that is, considering all pianist seem to start playing while still donning nappies!) and I was all of 18.

Not me, I've never donned a nappy (I don't think...what is that, anyway... :lol: ).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:46 am 

Hi Joe,

Yes, it's true. I enjoy hearing others play Bach, but I dislike playing it myself. Due to the annual National Piano Playing Auditions (which I did for 10 years as a kid), there were stylistic period requirements for the National and International levels, and obviously Baroque was part of that. I recall doing pieces from the Two-Part Inventions and later from the WTC Book I in order to comply. Fortunately I was able to skip the Sinfonias and Suites, and was below the level of having to play a Partita. Nonetheless, every year I had a balanced and well-prepared repertoire to offer, as my first teacher ensured that I was a "well-rounded pianist", at least in my early days. I always got very high ratings from the adjudicators. In regards to Clementi, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert, I believe I paid my dues. So I'm content to leave Baroque and Viennese Classical music to those who really love those genres and show it in their performances. I enjoy the Romantic era music, except that so much of it is overplayed. I like playing Chopin and Liszt, but not so much Mendelssohn, Schumann and Brahms although I've played a good number of their works too. Now, at 67, I'm far more acutely aware of that old saying, "So much repertoire and so little time." So rather than generalize, I specialize now in Late Romantic music which truly motivates me to do my recording projects. It's the period that really excites me, although occasionally I'll do an impressionistic piece, as that music appeals to me too. I don't think it's at all unusual for many older pianists to work in a desired niche.

David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:33 am 
Site Admin

I've always liked Clementi too. What's not to like about his music, one could ask. I also favored him over Bach - in fact as a youth I favored everything over Bach whereas now I favor Bach over everything.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:42 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
robert wrote:
Wonderful! Got me into a cheerful mode in the boring hotel I stay at during this night (didn't spot the mistakes mentioned) . Completing the entire op.36 cycle!

Definitely deserves a tweet :).

Thank you for listening, Robert! :D

I hope there is a nice mini-bar in your hotel room....haha.

It is but I never touches the minibars! A rule I made many years ago.

Though, we stayed out pretty late after a visit to a fancy restaurant. Then, as I was the host, I had to stay to fix the bill in the bar for the youngsters so it got a bit late. But very interesting to get to know Japanese culture much better. Sorry, totally off topic ;).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
pianolady wrote:

I hope there is a nice mini-bar in your hotel room....haha.

It is but I never touches the minibars! A rule I made many years ago.

Though, we stayed out pretty late after a visit to a fancy restaurant. Then, as I was the host, I had to stay to fix the bill in the bar for the youngsters so it got a bit late. But very interesting to get to know Japanese culture much better. Sorry, totally off topic ;).

That's okay - I haven't gone too far OT in awhile, so it was about time for someone else to so it. :P