Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chopin's 24 Études (new approach on the realization)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:34 pm 
I'm out of breath here, good bye!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:57 pm 

Chris and Monica,
Is it possible to expunge an entire thread? If so, no point preserving these skeletal remains. If not, I will be back to pick up these bones and discard them. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

guybacos wrote:
I'm out of breath here, good bye!

Oh no... you leaving already ?

guybacos wrote:
If you prefer I can put I'm a bad pianist. What would you like me to write that will make everybody happy? Tell me, and I will do that.

I can think of one thing.

Do. Not. Pretend.

This would not "make everybody happy", as we still do not like manipulated music, but could at least restore some of your credibility.
Personally I'd leave it to others to decide if if I were a good pianist (after producing some plausible evidence).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:02 pm 
If it makes you happy. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
Chris and Monica,
Is it possible to expunge an entire thread? If so, no point preserving these skeletal remains. If not, I will be back to pick up these bones and discard them. :?

Expunge, I had to look that up :lol:
Yes we could have ditched the whole thing. But it's sort of fun, isn't it ? You should see the behemoth thread that blossomed at Piano World in a day's time ! I felt things were kinda boring here so decided to unlock the thread again. Don't follow it if you don't want to !

OTOH, if you have some bones to pick (do I understand correctly ?) by all means do so :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

guybacos wrote:
If it makes you happy. :D

Sure. I'm easily pleased :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:10 pm 
techneut wrote:
musical-md wrote:
Chris and Monica,

Expunge, I had to look that up :lol:
Yes we could have ditched the whole thing. But it's sort of fun, isn't it ? You should see the behemoth thread that blossomed at Piano World in a day's time ! I felt things were kinda boring here so decided to unlock the thread again. Don't follow it if you don't want to !

OTOH, if you have some bones to pick (do I understand correctly ?) by all means do so :)

I've noticed Chris puts on his good side when he posts on PianoStreet, must be intimidated.

Anyway, as I mentioned on PianoStreet, for me it is the best piano forum around.

And pianoLady, what a shame I wasted your dear precious time. So sorry!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

guybacos wrote:
I've noticed Chris puts on his good side when he posts on PianoStreet, must be intimidated.

Well, I'm an unknown newbie there and had no intention to start rubbing shoulders with the local bigshots. I only posted two short messages to try put in perspective some things that were said about what's been going on here at PS. On my best behavior, obviously.

guybacos wrote:
Anyway, as I mentioned on PianoStreet, for me it is the best piano forum around.

I can understand that. The place where you get the least flak is the place to be. Off ye go then !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:42 pm 
guybacos wrote:

I can understand that. The place where you get the least flak is the place to be. Off ye go then ![/quote]

At least I have a reason to be getting some attention. :mrgreen:

Enjoy your forum in Yawnville.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

guybacos wrote:
Enjoy your forum in Yawnville.

Thanks, we'll try. It will be boring without you though....
If you start a new thread on Piano World I'll come and watch. It's mighty entertaining.
That reminds me to check out all these kudos from concert pianists on your FB page :!:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:20 pm 
You make me feel like a star drawing all this attention to me, checking me everywhere I go, the forums I hang out, my FB wall. Of course, some will say, "get a life!", but that wouldn't be nice, would it?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 am 
Site Admin

Eddy, your expunging idea is good. I'll do more cleanup when I get home from work.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:15 am 
Well I fooled you guys with the 24 Études, so missioned accomplished. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:17 am 

I guess one of the problems for the listener is that once you start from the perspective that these are edited midis, albeit ones initiated by a pianist's performance, it doesn't take much imagination to realise that the performance doesn't have to be good, accurate, a tempo or anything. It can all be done by edit thereafter. Now I'm not intending to imply that the OP can't play the piano, nor that there has been wholescale dishonesty going on, but frankly a competent sightreader could play through many of the etudes at quarter to half-tempo and let the editing do the rest. 25/6 really isn't that hard at slow tempi - it only becomes difficult when you approach the required speed. 25/10 at slow tempo is trivial. That nagging doubt surely hangs over most listeners' perception of the project.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:53 am 
andrew wrote:
I guess one of the problems for the listener is that once you start from the perspective that these are edited midis, albeit ones initiated by a pianist's performance, it doesn't take much imagination to realise that the performance doesn't have to be good, accurate, a tempo or anything. It can all be done by edit thereafter. Now I'm not intending to imply that the OP can't play the piano, nor that there has been wholescale dishonesty going on, but frankly a competent sightreader could play through many of the etudes at quarter to half-tempo and let the editing do the rest. 25/6 really isn't that hard at slow tempi - it only becomes difficult when you approach the required speed. 25/10 at slow tempo is trivial. That nagging doubt surely hangs over most listeners' perception of the project.

Hi Andrew,

Let's avoid the subject of how close my original versions were from the enhanced versions. Let's just talk about the process. My question to you is, do you believe there is a certain art in editing "artistically" some works such as the 24 Études or others of that caliber, and what value do you give it regardless of how close or far the original is from the final result?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next