Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Dvorak - Humoresque op.101 no.7
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:41 pm 

Greetings! 8)

After lurking around here for several months, I finally got something together to post, Dvorak's Humoresque in G-flat major. I think it's by far his most well-known piano composition.

The instrument is a Yamaha CLP-240. I fear the sound is a bit too dry, what do you think? Please comment!

Dvorak - Humoresque op.101 no.7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:24 pm 

If this is his most famous work then I do not know Dvorak very well. The only thing that I picked out from your recording to comment on is the staccato (or lack of) after the first key change. Besides that it is well done. -JG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

It's been a long time since I've heard this, or played it. It makes me smile. I think you played well. I think I would add a bit more pedal though.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Always nice when a lurker takes the plunge :D

A good debut recording, technically it is very well done. All the right notes are there, in their rightful places. The only thing I object to is these crucial bars 23 and 47. The two high notes in the RH should be the same, b-double-flat, but you play the second as a b-flat. Perhaps that is in your score, but I have the Supraphon Critical Edition which I assume to be correct.

Some observations about interpretation: Agree with pianolady that it needs more pedal. It sounds very dry and a bit pointillistic, at least the outer parts. The effect is a bit lackadaisical rather than "grazioso". You should at least observe the pedal markings, and pedal the first half of each bar. As from bar 9, you get a bit brusque and impatient. The middle section in minor key (more tricky than it sounds) is well done. Overall, you could do more in observing the many dynamic markings, and applying a bit more rubato (or, alternatively, make a bit more of the ritardandi).

But, all minor points really. It is still good, and surprisingly we did not have this piece yet ! What are your further recording plans, any more Dvorak ? I ask because I have been thinking about recording some, but did not get around to it yet. His piano works are far better than he's given credit for.

The sound in itself is rather dry indeed, you may want to think about adding some reverb.

This one could go up the site if you want (though personally I'd want to make a bit more of it, add reverb, and sort out these wrong notes as they sort of define the entire piece).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:03 pm 

Thank you for your answers!

Quote:
The only thing I object to is these crucial bars 23 and 47. The two high notes in the RH should be the same, b-double-flat, but you play the second as a b-flat.

Very well observed! This was a reading error and I would have never noticed this because I have no teacher currently. I will re-record the piece when I get back to the digital piano. I don't know whether it really needs more pedal, but it could a bit more relaxed indeed. And after listening to my recording again, I noticed that the main theme should be most probably played staccato or portato, with all the pauses between.

Regarding the recording itself, the CLP seems to add reverb only for the internal speakers and the headphones, not for the connectors. So the soundcard must do the job, didn't know this.

As for more Dvorak, the only sheet music for solo piano I have currently access to is this Silhouette on SMA. Maybe I will buy the other humoresques in the near future, but this will have to wait a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Chaotica wrote:
Very well observed! This was a reading error and I would have never noticed this because I have no teacher currently. I will re-record the piece when I get back to the digital piano. I don't know whether it really needs more pedal, but it could a bit more relaxed indeed.

Assuming you observe the pedal markings (I could not really hear), perhaps with added reverb it doesn't need more pedal. Try that first.

Chaotica wrote:
And after listening to my recording again, I noticed that the main theme should be most probably played staccato or portato, with all the pauses between.

Hmmm, dunno about that ! There are no staccato/portato marks, and the slurs over the bars seem to me that legato was intended. These 32th rests are funny indeed, I would have expected a dot after the first note. I you 'play' the rests you'll get a comic 'chopsticks' effect and I doubt whether this was the intention. But I'm not sure really.

Chaotica wrote:
As for more Dvorak, the only sheet music for solo piano I have currently access to is this Silhouette on SMA. Maybe I will buy the other humoresques in the near future, but this will have to wait a bit.

Right. Do that Silhouette then ! I don't know this set very well, but it looks nice on sheet. I have my eyes set on the Waltzes, Mazurkas and perhaps one day the Dumka and the Theme and Variations (if I can ever get myself to seriously work on these 2 damned difficult pieces).

So, we'll wait for the re-recording of the Humoresque ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:14 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Very well observed! This was a reading error and I would have never noticed this because I have no teacher currently. I will re-record the piece when I get back to the digital piano. I don't know whether it really needs more pedal, but it could a bit more relaxed indeed.

Assuming you observe the pedal markings (I could not really hear), perhaps with added reverb it doesn't need more pedal. Try that first.

IIRC, there are no pedal markings in both my scores so I assume the master didn't write any into it.

Quote:
Quote:
And after listening to my recording again, I noticed that the main theme should be most probably played staccato or portato, with all the pauses between.

Hmmm, dunno about that ! There are no staccato/portato marks, and the slurs over the bars seem to me that legato was intended. These 32th rests are funny indeed, I would have expected a dot after the first note. I you 'play' the rests you'll get a comic 'chopsticks' effect and I doubt whether this was the intention. But I'm not sure really.

Oops, I meant the professional recording when I said "my recording". :oops: This guy there plays the notes shortly. So I think the slurs here mean phrasing, but not legato.

Quote:
Quote:

Right. Do that Silhouette then !

OK, I'll have a look on it.

Quote:
So, we'll wait for the re-recording of the Humoresque ?

Yes. Should be ready next week, along with Chopin's C minor Funeral March. And I have memorized Balakirev's Polka, recently, but this has some damn fast octave parts... :shock:

Regards,
Jan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:05 am 
Site Admin

Chaotica wrote:
Regarding the recording itself, the CLP seems to add reverb only for the internal speakers and the headphones, not for the connectors. So the soundcard must do the job, didn't know this.

It is a bit suprising that it was not until now it was recorded and I glad you did it. Well played and it comes out a bit dry as you have observed that the reverb is only added to the speakersystem.

I have updated the Announcement of this forum (Audition Room) and in there, you find links to Audacity and GVerb which I use and like. You might consider using this program to make the recording a bit more lively. Looking forward to hear more recordings from you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:06 am 

Not much to say, re-recording with GVerb...

Dvorak - Humoresque op.101 no.7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Chaotica, This was pleasing to listen to, although I'm not sure because I don't have the score, but are those two notes in the RH right? (I think Techneut mentioned them earlier)

Also, are you using an Edirol? This sounded very clear. I see you have added reverb to this second recording but I did not hear it much. Maybe you used a low reverb? I'm having reverb problems, myself, and although I asked a question about it in another thread, no one wants to answer it, so if you could tell me your process of transferring files, I would appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:20 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Dear Chaotica, This was pleasing to listen to, although I'm not sure because I don't have the score, but are those two notes in the RH right? (I think Techneut mentioned them earlier)

I think they should be right now. But one has to admit that it's impossible to say which note is right, b-flat or b-double-flat, without knowing the score.

Quote:
Also, are you using an Edirol? This sounded very clear. I see you have added reverb to this second recording but I did not hear it much. Maybe you used a low reverb?

No, it's all completely digital, that's why it sounds so clear and a bit dry. I put only low reverb in because it sounded a bit artificial with more of it. And I think it's lack of experience.

Quote:
I'm having reverb problems, myself, and although I asked a question about it in another thread, no one wants to answer it, so if you could tell me your process of transferring files, I would appreciate it.

Robert's announcement in this subforum should actually answer your question. But it would be nice if he posted his exact GVerb settings he used himself, especially with his digital recordings. :idea:

What do you mean with "transferring files"?

Btw, good to hear you enjoyed it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
What do you mean with "transferring files"?

I don't know anymore. But I don't think it has to do with what Robert says. I'm probably doing something wrong. Thanks anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Chaotica wrote:
I think they should be right now. But one has to admit that it's impossible to say which note is right, b-flat or b-double-flat, without knowing the score.

Yes they are ok now. And it sounds a lot more pleasant now, not as bone-dry as the first one. I would still like a bit more fluency though, especially in the middle section where you sound a bit stressed.

You're wrong about recognizing these wrong notes though. I think everybody who has ever heard this piece would have noticed this, as these two blue notes are so characteristic of the piece, and so taring for the time this was written. Anyway, good job now. We'll put it up. Welcome to PS !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:16 pm 

techneut wrote:
Chaotica wrote:

Yes they are ok now. And it sounds a lot more pleasant now, not as bone-dry as the first one. I would still like a bit more fluency though, especially in the middle section where you sound a bit stressed.

OK, I will perhaps do it again one day, if I'm a better pianist in terms of perfecting and recording then. But for now I'm moving to other, new pieces.

Quote:
You're wrong about recognizing these wrong notes though. I think everybody who has ever heard this piece would have noticed this, as these two blue notes are so characteristic of the piece, and so taring for the time this was written. Anyway, good job now. We'll put it up. Welcome to PS !

Correction: ..., without knowing the piece. (At least for 99.9% of the population.)

It's certainly a joy for me to take part in this great project. Thank you all for your amazing work! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, this one's up. I still need to create a Dvorak bio.

Can you please mail me your bio Jan-Felix, and a photo if you have, so I can complete
your page. We'll expect a couple more recordings from you in the non-too-distant future (we already have too many 1-recordings pianists :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:06 pm 

No problem, I have just recorded the Chopin (will post it tomorrow) and I will begin with the silhouette now. I hope I can get the bio and the photo together in a few days.

Good night,
Jan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:42 am 

It sounds steady played to me, with very good key touch.

Interpretationwise I could imagine a bit more drive and spirit so that it sounds more cheerful (beside the minor key middle part). But that's something one may have different opinions on that.

Really good job!