Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:45 am 

pianolady wrote:
They've merged the 'friends' with the 'subscriptions'. You now have to 'subscribe' to your friends - at least the ones you want to see on your homepage activities. You are one of my 'friends' that I subscribed to, Andrew. Do you see that on your homepage - like did you get some kind of message that I subscribed to you? Here is the link that makes it easy to 'subscribe' to your 'friends'.

http://www.youtube.com/subscription_manager/friends

This is how you are able to see your friends/subscriptions activities on your homepage. Your activity on 'your' channel shows up in the 'feed' tab on your personal channel.

Ah, I see, thanks. I did get a notification that you had subscribed.

YouTube wrote:
Friends are now becoming part of subscriptions. Subscribe to your friends to see their activity on your homepage.

I liked the way it was before: sometimes friend activities turned up an interesting video that I wouldn't have thought to look at. I now feel I'll have to go through my friends list (which is pretty large) and work out who I should subscribe to. If I subscribe en masse I think that means I'll end up getting lots of irrelevant email notifications which didn't turn up before, simply as a consequence of maintaining the ability to view all friend activity on the news feed: I've not been especially selective about accepting or declining friend requests other than declining obvious spam. I'd rather keep friends and subscriptions separate: I think they are unrelated entities.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:32 am 
Site Admin

I agree with you - I liked it better the other way. I know what you mean that sometimes you discovered an interesting video by being directed to it by a friend. It's back to being like that again, except for the way it is displayed. If a friend favorites or likes more than one video, those videos are listed vertically, instead of horizontally like before.

I have been somewhat judicious in accepting friend request. I only accepted ones that I could see were into classical piano. All the rest just stayed in my inbox and I never replied. I have not 'subscribed' to all my 'friends' with this new system, so I don't have too much showing up on my homepage yet. I want to test things out for a while first...

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

I hadn't given this much thought so far, being a casual YT user (listening basically) but just stumbled upon this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcOa11R- ... ture=g-all

and there are many more in the same vein. The outrage is huge. A YT boycot is proposed for next friday.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Haha, I've got a disputed video too now, it says

Your video, Bach - BWV 653 - An Wasserflüssen Babylon , may include content that is owned or administered by these entities:
Entity: Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society Content Type: Musical Composition

Now that is a good joke, nothing being more public domain than Bach.
From what I read here end there, this "Society" is rather a fraud. Not sure if it is even worth disputing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Well, the videos of mine that I've disputed are still in the clear; they don't show that there is a copyright infringement on them, and also when I am logged off and then view those videos, they do not say 'artist: Mozart', 'artist: Granados', etc anymore. It's very easy to dispute the claims now too. You just click a couple things, and you're done!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Yes I'd already done the dispute and I no longer see any notice now, so assume it's ok.
All this is utterly ridiculous of course. Seems to be some wonky automated process which no relation to reality. You'd think it was designed only to discourage uploaders. No brownie points for Youtube these days...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:31 am 

techneut wrote:
Yes I'd already done the dispute and I no longer see any notice now, so assume it's ok.
All this is utterly ridiculous of course. Seems to be some wonky automated process which no relation to reality.

I suspect it's a token gesture to appease various corporate institutions by arguing that they have something in place to detect copyright abuse. Which is patently ridiculous, of course, there being entire TV programmes, films, etc, etc uploaded and they don't seem to get flagged. I think, shortly after Google took YouTube over, YT got sued by Viacom for copyright abuse; I have no idea what the upshot of that was.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Yes it's lipservice at best. What puzzles me is that the organizations and their claims are shady. It's not clear to
me what exactly they are claiming.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:06 am 

It says in YouTube help: "Music Publishing Rights Collecting Society" is not a company, but a generic term for collecting societies, the organisations in various countries which collect royalties. I suppose it is in YT's interests to generate (often specious) claims on videos, as that means they can place ads next to them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:23 am 
Site Admin

That's shat I mean... shady. So what they say is "some organization thinks they have some claim on your video".
What a load of bollocks :x

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:01 am 
Site Admin

Does anyone know how to reply to a comment left on your channel? I used to be able to, but not anymore, and I can't find any information on the help site that addresses this issue. What the heck....? :x

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:53 am 

Hi Monica,

In the new format if you're on your Channel page and see a comment left there, take your mouse and move the cursor into the comment verbiage. That will cause a Reply button to appear at the top right corner of the comment box. Clique that and write your response. By the way, you can do the very same thing from the Manage Videos selection as well. I hope this helps.

So, do I like the "improved" look at YouTube? Nope!

David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:41 am 
Site Admin

Hi David,
Thank you for trying to help me. But I swear, aliens are attacking not only my computer at times, but now they are sabatoging my Youtube channel; seems I am often trying to figure out/conquer glitches. This inability to reply to comments on my channel is my latest problem, and your instructions unfortunately do not work for me. When I hover over the verbiage on a comment, all I get is the option to "report spam" or "remove" the comment. I think it has something to do with the same problem I have in my message Inbox. Argh! I may just quit this Youtube stuff... :x