Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Rachmaninov-Moment Musical in Db Op.16 #5 - Adagio sostenuto
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:31 pm 

Recorded last night. This was harder than I thought it would be, keeping the LH accompaniment even as all three notes (F Ab Db ) are in different registers of the piano. And to pedal it seamlessly without "bumps" in the texture. I thought this came out rather well, only two things bother me.

Hoped to post the infamous c# minor Op.3 #2 with this but the second page is not quite there yet.... :x . Oh well. More recordings coming soon...

Rachmaninov-Moment Musical in Db Op.16 #5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

Nothing bothered me. The left hand was very smooth - everything sounded fine.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Very nice Chase ! The Op.16 is not my favourite Rachmaninov but I'll admit you did this beautifully. Must be taxing indeed for the LH, this wide swinging motion. Very poised and thoughtful. You are a natural Rachmaninovian.

I think I know what bothered you, even if it did not bother me :wink: Isn't there a wrong note at 1:08, and another one at 1:57 and possibly 2:05 ? Don't even think of recording it for those, though - I may even be wrong as I've sold the score of this cycle (so would you have a cover image for me ? )

I have just put it on the site but I was not sure if this is indeed marked 'Andante'. If not let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:59 pm 

techneut wrote:
Very nice Chase ! The Op.16 is not my favourite Rachmaninov but I'll admit you did this beautifully. Must be taxing indeed for the LH, this wide swinging motion. Very poised and thoughtful. You are a natural Rachmaninovian.

Taxing for MY LH. Rachmaninov probably didn't have to move his hand to play this. What was hard is that on my piano the F is wire, the Ab is wrapped in light copper and the Db in heavy copper and is cross-strung. All three of these notes produce a different sonority and balancing them so they are even was difficult. It's probably the reason this lovely piece isn't played more often, it's hard to not make it sound clunky.

Quote:
I think I know what bothered you, even if it did not bother me :wink: Isn't there a wrong note at 1:08, and another one at 1:57 and possibly 2:05 ? Don't even think of recording it for those, though - I may even be wrong as I've sold the score of this cycle (so would you have a cover image for me ? )

I have just put it on the site but I was not sure if this is indeed marked 'Andante'. If not let me know.

Actually those weren't what was bothering me. At 2:05 I play Eb instead of E double flat, which I was not aware I was doing. :oops: Gettin' old....The other two spots are correct.

Double flats..... :evil: I prefer to read sharps, actually.

No cover image, this came from psi.toronto.edu. The indication is Adagio sostenuto.

Natural Rachmanovian. Thanks! 8) My teachers steered me away from Rachmaninov, it was not to their taste. Haven't played much of him, in fact this is my first solo Rachmaninov piece. I have played the Fourth Concerto, studied the 2nd and 3rd, played several of the songs and both 2 Piano Suites as well as the piano part in the Symphonic Dances.

Now, I am the teacher. And I will play what I want. :twisted: 8)

Off to "Ein Idylle".... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:32 pm 

Chase, that sounded beautiful to me. Calm and with much feeling tasteful voiced.

arensky wrote:
Haven't played much of him, in fact this is my first solo Rachmaninov piece. I have played the Fourth Concerto, studied the 2nd and 3rd, played several of the songs and both 2 Piano Suites as well as the piano part in the Symphonic Dances.

:shock: So, that is not much played for you. Only the 2nd, 3rd, 4th concerto and some else. Not much, so you say. Ok, I understand :cry:

I am looking forward to your Rach 3/2 take!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:55 pm 

Idyll! Idyll!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:46 am 
Site Admin

arensky wrote:
Haven't played much of him, in fact this is my first solo Rachmaninov piece. I have played the Fourth Concerto, studied the 2nd and 3rd, played several of the songs and both 2 Piano Suites as well as the piano part in the Symphonic Dances.

Cannot help but quoting this too :D. Indeed a very good recording and Rach's hands could grip extremely wide (wasn't it C-A next octave?) and that is one of the reasons why many of his compositions are so difficult to play for most pianists. You handle it very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:02 am 

Rach's hands could grip extremely wide (wasn't it C-A next octave?) and that is one of the reasons why many of his compositions are so difficult to play for most pianists.

From another Web site : :)

Rachmaninoff's colleague Cyril Smith once saw him take the following chord with his left hand: C-E flat-G-C-G. Well - there are some pianists (but fewer than they claim) who can take an octave and a half, but now comes the point of sheer horror: With his right hand Rachmaninoff could take the following chord: C (second finger)-E-G-C and E (thumb under all the other). This has nothing to do with piano technique - It is physical abnormality!

A PRAYER : Thanks - God - that Rachmaninoff did not write any music for one hand alone! With his reach he would probably be the only person on the planet who would be able to play it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:28 am 

MindenBlues wrote:
Chase, that sounded beautiful to me. Calm and with much feeling tasteful voiced.

arensky wrote:

:shock: So, that is not much played for you. Only the 2nd, 3rd, 4th concerto and some else. Not much, so you say. Ok, I understand :cry:

I know pianists who play many of the Preludes, sets of the Etudes-Tableaux, Sonata #2 and at least the 2nd Concerto or Paganini Rhapsody. :shock: I've never played a single solo piece of Rachmaninov until this. That's odd for a middle aged professional pianist, I think. I didn't intend to sound snotty... :? :oops: hope it didn't come across like " conservatory modesty" :roll: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:49 am 
Site Admin

arensky wrote:
MindenBlues wrote:

arensky wrote:

I know pianists who play many of the Preludes, sets of the Etudes-Tableaux, Sonata #2 and at least the 2nd Concerto or Paganini Rhapsody. :shock: I've never played a single solo piece of Rachmaninov until this. That's odd for a middle aged professional pianist, I think. I didn't intend to sound snotty... :? :oops: hope it didn't come across like " conservatory modesty" :roll: .

Not at all! It just made me smile :P.