Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Rachmaninov-Moment Musical in Db Op.16 #5 - Adagio sostenuto
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:26 am
Posts: 252
Location: Arizona
Recorded last night. This was harder than I thought it would be, keeping the LH accompaniment even as all three notes (F Ab Db ) are in different registers of the piano. And to pedal it seamlessly without "bumps" in the texture. I thought this came out rather well, only two things bother me.

Hoped to post the infamous c# minor Op.3 #2 with this but the second page is not quite there yet.... :x . Oh well. More recordings coming soon...

Rachmaninov-Moment Musical in Db Op.16 #5

_________________
Since one cannot do all that one would wish to, one should do what one likes. Scriabin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:18 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8529
Nothing bothered me. The left hand was very smooth - everything sounded fine.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:42 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9598
Location: Netherlands
Very nice Chase ! The Op.16 is not my favourite Rachmaninov but I'll admit you did this beautifully. Must be taxing indeed for the LH, this wide swinging motion. Very poised and thoughtful. You are a natural Rachmaninovian.

I think I know what bothered you, even if it did not bother me :wink: Isn't there a wrong note at 1:08, and another one at 1:57 and possibly 2:05 ? Don't even think of recording it for those, though - I may even be wrong as I've sold the score of this cycle (so would you have a cover image for me ? )

I have just put it on the site but I was not sure if this is indeed marked 'Andante'. If not let me know.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:26 am
Posts: 252
Location: Arizona
techneut wrote:
Very nice Chase ! The Op.16 is not my favourite Rachmaninov but I'll admit you did this beautifully. Must be taxing indeed for the LH, this wide swinging motion. Very poised and thoughtful. You are a natural Rachmaninovian.


Taxing for MY LH. Rachmaninov probably didn't have to move his hand to play this. What was hard is that on my piano the F is wire, the Ab is wrapped in light copper and the Db in heavy copper and is cross-strung. All three of these notes produce a different sonority and balancing them so they are even was difficult. It's probably the reason this lovely piece isn't played more often, it's hard to not make it sound clunky.

Quote:
I think I know what bothered you, even if it did not bother me :wink: Isn't there a wrong note at 1:08, and another one at 1:57 and possibly 2:05 ? Don't even think of recording it for those, though - I may even be wrong as I've sold the score of this cycle (so would you have a cover image for me ? )

I have just put it on the site but I was not sure if this is indeed marked 'Andante'. If not let me know.


Actually those weren't what was bothering me. At 2:05 I play Eb instead of E double flat, which I was not aware I was doing. :oops: Gettin' old....The other two spots are correct.

Double flats..... :evil: I prefer to read sharps, actually.

No cover image, this came from psi.toronto.edu. The indication is Adagio sostenuto.

Natural Rachmanovian. Thanks! 8) My teachers steered me away from Rachmaninov, it was not to their taste. Haven't played much of him, in fact this is my first solo Rachmaninov piece. I have played the Fourth Concerto, studied the 2nd and 3rd, played several of the songs and both 2 Piano Suites as well as the piano part in the Symphonic Dances.

Now, I am the teacher. And I will play what I want. :twisted: 8)

Off to "Ein Idylle".... :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:29 am
Posts: 692
Location: Germany
Chase, that sounded beautiful to me. Calm and with much feeling tasteful voiced.

arensky wrote:
Haven't played much of him, in fact this is my first solo Rachmaninov piece. I have played the Fourth Concerto, studied the 2nd and 3rd, played several of the songs and both 2 Piano Suites as well as the piano part in the Symphonic Dances.


:shock: So, that is not much played for you. Only the 2nd, 3rd, 4th concerto and some else. Not much, so you say. Ok, I understand :cry:

I am looking forward to your Rach 3/2 take!

_________________
Olaf Schmidt


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:29 am
Posts: 191
Location: Bloomington, IN
Idyll! Idyll!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:46 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:27 pm
Posts: 1842
Location: Sweden
arensky wrote:
Haven't played much of him, in fact this is my first solo Rachmaninov piece. I have played the Fourth Concerto, studied the 2nd and 3rd, played several of the songs and both 2 Piano Suites as well as the piano part in the Symphonic Dances.

Cannot help but quoting this too :D. Indeed a very good recording and Rach's hands could grip extremely wide (wasn't it C-A next octave?) and that is one of the reasons why many of his compositions are so difficult to play for most pianists. You handle it very well.

_________________
Pianist profile of Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:12 pm
Posts: 67
Rach's hands could grip extremely wide (wasn't it C-A next octave?) and that is one of the reasons why many of his compositions are so difficult to play for most pianists.

From another Web site : :)

Rachmaninoff's colleague Cyril Smith once saw him take the following chord with his left hand: C-E flat-G-C-G. Well - there are some pianists (but fewer than they claim) who can take an octave and a half, but now comes the point of sheer horror: With his right hand Rachmaninoff could take the following chord: C (second finger)-E-G-C and E (thumb under all the other). This has nothing to do with piano technique - It is physical abnormality!

A PRAYER : Thanks - God - that Rachmaninoff did not write any music for one hand alone! With his reach he would probably be the only person on the planet who would be able to play it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:26 am
Posts: 252
Location: Arizona
MindenBlues wrote:
Chase, that sounded beautiful to me. Calm and with much feeling tasteful voiced.

arensky wrote:
Haven't played much of him, in fact this is my first solo Rachmaninov piece. I have played the Fourth Concerto, studied the 2nd and 3rd, played several of the songs and both 2 Piano Suites as well as the piano part in the Symphonic Dances.


:shock: So, that is not much played for you. Only the 2nd, 3rd, 4th concerto and some else. Not much, so you say. Ok, I understand :cry:

I am looking forward to your Rach 3/2 take!



I know pianists who play many of the Preludes, sets of the Etudes-Tableaux, Sonata #2 and at least the 2nd Concerto or Paganini Rhapsody. :shock: I've never played a single solo piece of Rachmaninov until this. That's odd for a middle aged professional pianist, I think. I didn't intend to sound snotty... :? :oops: hope it didn't come across like " conservatory modesty" :roll: .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:49 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:27 pm
Posts: 1842
Location: Sweden
arensky wrote:
MindenBlues wrote:
Chase, that sounded beautiful to me. Calm and with much feeling tasteful voiced.

arensky wrote:
Haven't played much of him, in fact this is my first solo Rachmaninov piece. I have played the Fourth Concerto, studied the 2nd and 3rd, played several of the songs and both 2 Piano Suites as well as the piano part in the Symphonic Dances.


:shock: So, that is not much played for you. Only the 2nd, 3rd, 4th concerto and some else. Not much, so you say. Ok, I understand :cry:

I am looking forward to your Rach 3/2 take!



I know pianists who play many of the Preludes, sets of the Etudes-Tableaux, Sonata #2 and at least the 2nd Concerto or Paganini Rhapsody. :shock: I've never played a single solo piece of Rachmaninov until this. That's odd for a middle aged professional pianist, I think. I didn't intend to sound snotty... :? :oops: hope it didn't come across like " conservatory modesty" :roll: .

Not at all! It just made me smile :P.

_________________
Pianist profile of Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group