Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 720
Location: Edinburgh, UK
I can see my friends list by going to "my channel" then my friends list at the bottom; I guess it depends how you have your homepage set up, but I certainly don't have any friend activity feed (which was there before, and I liked having it - occasionally I found interesting stuff on it). I tried the new look: the friends list disappeared altogether and I had to retrieve it by going back to the old settings. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of editing options for setting up the channel in the new form.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:59 am
Posts: 258
Quote:
Naturally this has the consequence that videos of people performing well-known compositions will be incorrectly flagged as utilising copyrighted recordings


This is going to wreak havoc on ALL the classical music videos.
Some pop-music aficionados didn't do their homework before rolling this out!

Hope they change it soon, you guys.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:13 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8477
andrew wrote:
I can see my friends list by going to "my channel" then my friends list at the bottom; I guess it depends how you have your homepage set up, but I certainly don't have any friend activity feed (which was there before, and I liked having it - occasionally I found interesting stuff on it). I tried the new look: the friends list disappeared altogether and I had to retrieve it by going back to the old settings. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of editing options for setting up the channel in the new form.


I can't see my friends list anywhere on the new format. I tried switching back to the previous format and I can see my list of friends on my channel, but they are still not showing on my homepage (seems the format change on the homepage is permanent and cannot be changed back). I don't see my friends activities anymore, which I liked too. I sent in a report about it; I sure hope it does some good. I'm worn out trying to deal with all these changes that look nice and all that, but are causing problems. Sort of feel like quitting Youtube....

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 720
Location: Edinburgh, UK
hreichgott wrote:
Quote:
Naturally this has the consequence that videos of people performing well-known compositions will be incorrectly flagged as utilising copyrighted recordings


This is going to wreak havoc on ALL the classical music videos.
Some pop-music aficionados didn't do their homework before rolling this out!

Hope they change it soon, you guys.


I think the check that I mentioned is generally only carried out at point of upload, though there's probably other videos flagged randomly from time to time. Their algorithm is certainly pretty imperfect - I have seen a salon waltz by the pianist Sophie Menter flagged as being Mahler!

pianolady wrote:
I can't see my friends list anywhere on the new format. I tried switching back to the previous format and I can see my list of friends on my channel, but they are still not showing on my homepage (seems the format change on the homepage is permanent and cannot be changed back). I don't see my friends activities anymore, which I liked too. I sent in a report about it; I sure hope it does some good. I'm worn out trying to deal with all these changes that look nice and all that, but are causing problems. Sort of feel like quitting Youtube....


Yes, I can't see any way to view friend activities either. You can get the old(ish) look via http://www.youtube.com/home but apparently showing what videos are "trending" (as if I care..) is more important than friend activities. I notice that you can no longer find individual website(s) on which people have accessed/embedded your videos (via the Insight, now renamed Analytics) feature. Also, it appears that the options to customize your homepage have been grossly reduced. I think it's annoyed a lot of people: the BBC news website even had a story about it in their most read news items section yesterday!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:28 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8477
andrew wrote:
Yes, I can't see any way to view friend activities either. You can get the old(ish) look via http://www.youtube.com/home but apparently showing what videos are "trending" (as if I care..) is more important than friend activities.

Andrew, forgive me if I'm being a pain in the ass, but how did you get that link? When I open up Youtube, I get a different homepage. Even when I 'switch back to previous version', my home page is still the new/changed version. All my subscriptions' activities are shown vertically, not horizontally like in your link (and the way it used to be for me). The old way (like your link) is better because one of my subscriptions has dozens of uploaded videos and they are grouped together in a row. Now on my new homepage they are listed individually and in a column which of course makes the page very long. So annoying!! And yes, either way my friends' activities has vanished.


andrew wrote:
I think it's annoyed a lot of people: the BBC news website even had a story about it in their most read news items section yesterday!
Maybe if enough people complain, Youtube will put it all back the way it was.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 720
Location: Edinburgh, UK
I had a quick look at the official Youtube video clip explaining the new version. Well, to be accurate, I had a quick look at some of the comments on the video and saw the alternative homepage link posted there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:11 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8477
The statistics (analytics) are better now. At least for me they are.
Guess I am just not going to have 'friends' anymore.... :(

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 am
Posts: 1250
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
pianolady wrote:
... Guess I am just not going to have 'friends' anymore.... :(

What are we? Chopped liver? :wink:

_________________
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:46 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8477
musical-md wrote:
pianolady wrote:
... Guess I am just not going to have 'friends' anymore.... :(

What are we? Chopped liver? :wink:


Ohhhhhhh, I mean that my Youtube friends are gone. Not on my 'old' Youtube, but on my 'new' Youtube. Except I have no friends activities at all on my homepage on either version. But actually, a lot of my Youtube friends are not really friends at all - I don't even know them. :oops: So you're right, Eddy, you 'regulars' here on PS are my 'better' friends. :)

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:11 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8477
Hey Andrew, guess what? It appears I've conquered the copyright issue! :D Just for the heck of it, I went to see if my Mozart video still had that "matched third party content" stuff on it, and lo and behold those words are gone. So I disputed about five more of my videos with the same issue, and immediately those words were no longer there. I'm shocked and amazed, yet a little apprehensive too. Seems too easy, doesn't it? Like something bad is going to happen now....

*keeping my fingers crossed*

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:05 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8477
Oooh, I'm on a roll... :D...just now figured out how to get my 'friends' to show up on my homepage! :D :D

If only Youtube could get the homepage videos to be listed vertically, instead of horizontally. That's my only gripe now.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:59 am
Posts: 258
Quote:
It appears I've conquered the copyright issue! :D Just for the heck of it, I went to see if my Mozart video still had that "matched third party content" stuff on it, and lo and behold those words are gone. So I disputed about five more of my videos with the same issue, and immediately those words were no longer there.

Hooray, hope those words stay gone... always nice when a dispute process works properly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:48 pm
Posts: 1995
Location: U.S.A.
Hi Monica,

At YouTube all my video recordings display vertically. Is that odd or what?

David

_________________
"Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities." David April


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 720
Location: Edinburgh, UK
pianolady wrote:
Oooh, I'm on a roll... :D...just now figured out how to get my 'friends' to show up on my homepage! :D :D


Wow, how did you manage that? And did you get the activity feed back?

I'd consider contesting the copyright thing, as it seemed to go fairly smoothly for you, but I have a few historical recordings on my channel which probably do consitute a breach of copyright, so I think I'll leave it as it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Youtube woes....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:39 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8477
hreichgott wrote:
Quote:
It appears I've conquered the copyright issue! :D Just for the heck of it, I went to see if my Mozart video still had that "matched third party content" stuff on it, and lo and behold those words are gone. So I disputed about five more of my videos with the same issue, and immediately those words were no longer there.

Hooray, hope those words stay gone... always nice when a dispute process works properly.


Yes, but I can't help feeling like it was too easy to do. But so far, as of today, the words are still gone and my videos are still intact. :D
Rachfan wrote:
Hi Monica,

At YouTube all my video recordings display vertically. Is that odd or what?

David


Hi David, I know - it's very impractical. You now have to scroll and scroll and scroll in order to see all your 'people's' activities. I actually deleted one of my subscriptions; it was a news site and they put up several videos every day and so that is all I saw on my home page. It's better now that I've 'unsubscribed' to them. I can always just go to their channel if I want to see if there is anything of interest.

andrew wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Oooh, I'm on a roll... :D...just now figured out how to get my 'friends' to show up on my homepage! :D :D


Wow, how did you manage that? And did you get the activity feed back?

I'd consider contesting the copyright thing, as it seemed to go fairly smoothly for you, but I have a few historical recordings on my channel which probably do consitute a breach of copyright, so I think I'll leave it as it is.


They've merged the 'friends' with the 'subscriptions'. You now have to 'subscribe' to your friends - at least the ones you want to see on your homepage activities. You are one of my 'friends' that I subscribed to, Andrew. Do you see that on your homepage - like did you get some kind of message that I subscribed to you? Here is the link that makes it easy to 'subscribe' to your 'friends'.

http://www.youtube.com/subscription_manager/friends

This is how you are able to see your friends/subscriptions activities on your homepage. Your activity on 'your' channel shows up in the 'feed' tab on your personal channel.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group