Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: My first recording
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:37 am 

Finally decided to post a recording of myself :). Here is Chopin Nocturne no. 1:

http://www.savefile.com/files/1308008

It's not exactly what I want yet, quite some wrong notes, and some parts not really nice. Feel free to give any comments !

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:39 am 

Oh, btw, sorry I didn't use the attachment thing. Here's the same file with the attachment thing.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

A quite good debut. Nice tone and touch, and only some minor slips. The long downward RH run on the last page is a bit jerky, and there's an ugly wrong note in the ff LH part in four bars before the end. But nothing really horrible.

Only thing I would say (and I pick on this with almost everyone) that you tend to rush in places - try to keep that rubato in check ! The sound is a bit flat, perhaps you can add some reverb or filter ? The piano is good though.

Well done !

Oh, and you need to take care about audible page turns. I know all about that ;-) And is there an edit at the start of the sotto voce section ? Must have something to bitch about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:00 am 

Thanks for the comments! I might re-record this another time.

I agree with the rubato, especially in the first part it's not very under control.

As far as I know I did not cut anything (I just have problems suddenly turning to the left pedal and sotto voce part so it sounds like a cut there :)).

Maybe I did turn pages (don't remember :D). Next time I'll play it by memory :).

Yes I messed up during the last run in the right hand.

How do you add reverb/filter? I know nothing about recording.. Actually this was recorded with the microphones of my dad's laptop :lol:.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

Well there is a sound which I was sure is the hasty turning of a page. Could be something else though. Heard it only once though, no big deal.
If you need to play from score, best to make photocopies and tape them together, when it's not more than 4 or at most 5 pages.

You need to look at what you play in LH during the last 5 bars. sounds like a reding mistake there.

Laptop mic, hm... that *would* explain the lousy sound. PC mics are just no good, let alone laptop mics.

What software used to record it and save it as mp3 ? Usually such software (like Audacity or CoolEdit) has all kind of tricks to improve/manipulate the sound. But when you use a wimpy laptop microphone I am not sure it is worth the trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

I thought I heard a metronome toward the end somewhere, but then it stopped. I enjoyed your playing, though. Nice job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry about the double post. My computer said there was an error the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:24 pm 

I like your tasteful phrasing, you let the melody bows come out nicely. Only some slips, but overall really good playing. Played on an upright or Grand? Poor sound quality of course, but your playing is really good.

Congratulations for your first recording, keep it up- you are young and can go wide if you do not loose patience!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:13 pm 

Thanks for the replies. My piano is a Yamaha C-3 (so grand). I will try to keep up, and be patient.

BTW, I didn't use a metronome during recording :lol: , so maybe it's just some additional sound. :)

Friedrich Nietzsche