PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:35 pm 

Bach: Prelude and Fugue in d minor, Book II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chWkG6kUfE8

Beethoven: Sonata No. 21 "Waldstein"

Mvt. 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0em0WsCSGs

Mvt. 2 & 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6HfxN_OBj8

I recorded these on November 12, 2011. These recordings are one take, unedited.

Post subject: Re: [Vid] Bach Prelude fugue d minor bk II, Beethoven Waldstein
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:31 am 

Michael,
I listened to the Beethoven in it's entirety; a work I am intimately familiar with. In general I say this is excellent and refined playing. To be picky, in the first movement I thought you rushed a bit around 5:10. In the 3rd movement you struggled a bit to keep the tempo (though it was very well blended) of the LH going in bars 184-191 and 199-207. I admit I did the same; it is damn tough to do. I salute you for not doing the "glissandi" in the Coda as such! You make an attempt to work it that is good but I don't think goes quite far enough. See attached for what it would look like if you took your basic idea to it's logical conclusion. (Darn, it's too wide to attach! Anyway if you wish to see what I'm talking about, you can PM me and I'll send via e-mail.) Lastly, I want to say that listening to you play is a real pleasure! However, watching you I wish you didn't approach the piano with such carefulness. Your technique is one where you take great pains to prepare every move. I would wish for more abandon and daring! Like the child that runs full steam ahead to the swimming pool, only to pause at the edge and touch the water with a toe, you too tease with gestures that go to but do not play, instead, having now positioned you play on the up, away from the piano as it were. Alas, these are some of the differences that characterize players and schools of thought, and I guess I mention it really only to spur conversation. Thank you again for a really fine performance!

Regards,
Eddy