Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: The Haunted House
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:09 am 

I wrote a short piano piece last summer, and practiced it this week. I recorded it at the end of my last recording session and now have put it into a video. I am not at my the computer lab so I cannot edit in final cut, which means I cannot edit videos in HD. Nonetheless, hopefully the music of this piece (and Montella's painting) will conjure an image in your mind of a haunted house in the country hills...

The Video:

http://youtu.be/sdLWsvmrGM8

The Audio:

Attachment:
Haunted_House_Tucker.mp3 [1.35 MiB]
Downloaded 212 times

The soundtrack of the video is the same as the audio.

Hope you can enjoy :lol:

~Riley

Post subject: Re: The Haunted House
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:04 am 
Site Admin

I'm nor sure of this one to be honest. It seems a bit thin. The main theme, stated twice, has some potential. Then comes what seems like a quote from Despair, played twice, and then a perfunctory ending. Strange structure ! I think you'll need to do a bit more development here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:50 pm 

Considered for an elementary piano student, I think this is all right.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:38 am 

@ Chris and Eddy thanks for the feedback~

@ Chris

you wrote:

Quote:
I'm no[t] sure of this one to be honest. It seems a bit thin. The main theme, stated twice, has some potential. Then comes what seems like a quote from Despair, played twice, and then a perfunctory ending. Strange structure ! I think you'll need to do a bit more development here.

You have noticed the quote from despair! You know my music too well :) --though I will say this quote (in its approximate form) is in g minor this time, not d minor as it sounds in despair. I agree this piece could use more development. I really was shooting for a basic impression, and in the video you see the front of the haunted house, really only a small taste of sorts. More development might mean you would hear some music that would symbolize the house's interior ; creaking floors, howling goblins, squeaking bats and the like :P

@ Eddy

you wrote:

Quote:
Considered for an elementary piano student, I think this is all right.

Thanks for listening and the compliment, I have thought about rounding up a bunch of sketches I have written and then self publishing them through amazon. It seems however, (at least from a biz standpoint) that the market is saturated with beginner piano books that presents short easy pieces with little illustrations that capture is some way the mood of a piece. Other books are simply bestsellers for the reason that they have been in the biz for a while (i.e. Alfred's tried-and-true Basic Piano course) I cannot draw such great pictures so I am happier for it to be an avocation then something to sell, an easy way to make gobs of cash.. Not that you were saying this, just something I was thinking.. :roll:

~Riley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:09 am 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
You have noticed the quote from despair! You know my music too well :) --though I will say this quote (in its approximate form) is in g minor this time, not d minor as it sounds in despair.

Hehe, I would know Despair, having practiced it for months :D

pianoman342 wrote:
I agree this piece could use more development. I really was shooting for a basic impression, and in the video you see the front of the haunted house, really only a small taste of sorts. More development might mean you would hear some music that would symbolize the house's interior ; creaking floors, howling goblins, squeaking bats and the like :P

You would not need to make this into Hollywood program music. Probably best to convey a mood/atmosphere than actual 'facts', hint at things rather than spell them out graphically.
It's just that the structure "a - b - abrupt ending" is IMO not convincing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:03 am 

Quote:
Hehe, I would know Despair, having practiced it for months

Thanks, for the compliment, :) though I assume you are joking? :cry:

You must really be in despair if you cannot find any better pieces to practice than my "despair." :lol:

Quote:
You would not need to make this into Hollywood program music. Probably best to convey a mood/atmosphere than actual 'facts', hint at things rather than spell them out graphically.
It's just that the structure "a - b - abrupt ending" is IMO not convincing.

I was just listening to MacDowell's "Haunted House," from his Op. 61, Fireside Tales. it is decidedly more convincing :D :

http://youtu.be/bqSdiISqxdI

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

pianoman342 wrote:
Quote:
Hehe, I would know Despair, having practiced it for months

Thanks, for the compliment, :) though I assume you are joking? :cry:

Hehe yes of course. I don't think the whole process took more than half an hour altogether.

pianoman342 wrote:
You must really be in despair if you cannot find any better pieces to practice than my "despair." :lol:

Sure I can :D But it's great to record a nice piece without having to work for weeks or months.

And now something completely different. I stumbled on this funny video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ene0Qc75qRU
You must have some local fame to have a dog named after you :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:53 am 

Hi Chris

Quote:
Hehe yes of course. I don't think the whole process took more than half an hour altogether.

Oh, I see!

Quote:
Sure I can But it's great to record a nice piece without having to work for weeks or months

Of course the hard work pays off if those pieces were written well. For example if I had to listen to a piece and it was between say "after pergolesi" and "despair" I'd choose Hamelin, or should I say Pergolesi. It sounds more complex than my piece and I think you recording though not hamelin's sounds good. I wonder how long it took Hamelin to learn it, his own piece? I don't imagine he sightread it flawlessly :lol:

Quote:
And now something completely different. I stumbled on this funny video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ene0Qc75qRU
You must have some local fame to have a dog named after you

I watched the video. I've had girls call me cute, but compared to that puppy (or any of the other two), I'm nothin' :P

~Riley