Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Always with a smi... Scriabin!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:35 pm 

I have tried this one today, Scriabin's Prelude op 16/4, while resting from Scarlatti.

Only three takes this time and the heart stayed in place. I hope the fingers did too.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

Post subject: Re: Always with a smi... Scriabin!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Well, most of your fingers stayed in place. I happen to know this piece too and I think one of your chords is slightly off. It's in bar 5, the chord on the third beat. I think a flat is missing. I'm not at a piano now so I can't quite figure it out, but I can later if you like. Also, and I know this is a little subjective, but I think your pedaling is a bit too heavy during the parts where there is only the RH melody line. IMHO, it should be more clear. Just my two cents worth, though...

One more thing....I wonder if anyone else hears quite a bit of hiss in the background or is it just me?

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:19 pm 

Monica, This is almost wod for word what you wrote last time, including the part not being able to check the score right now! The thing about bar 5 is, does your edition have one mine does not? I took into consideration what you wrote last time, reexamined it all and could find no error, so I am assuming either the scores I consulted are different from yours. I can tell you that in both the ones I have there are different dynamics, so...

Do check that note. please, I would like to know if there really is a difference or not.

I normally would do the right hand alone without pedal, but this time I did not and I am not too sure I do not agree with you there!.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

You mean, I've commented on this same piece on an earlier recording before? I'm at work and it's not like a have a piano at my desk...I will be happy to check it out tonight, though.

Quote:
I normally would do the right hand alone without pedal, but this time I did not and I am not too sure I do not agree with you there!.

:? Sorry, you lost me here.... :? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:45 pm 

I am saying that, on second thoughts, I agree with less or no pedal when the right hand plays on its own.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:54 am 

pianolady wrote:
I happen to know this piece too and I think one of your chords is slightly off. It's in bar 5, the chord on the third beat. I think a flat is missing.
One more thing....I wonder if anyone else hears quite a bit of hiss in the background or is it just me?

I think the chord is off too. I've listened to the bar a dozen times and it sounds like the problem is the bass note. I think there's a marginal split note with both F and Fb being struck but the Fb isn't fully sustained, as if the finger came down three-quarters on the F - there seems to be a pedal change before the end of the triplet. If you listen carefully the texture is cleaner at the end of the bar, so I think the spurious Fb has been dropped by then, perhaps due to any pedal change/half-change. I'm a little more troubled by the right hand in the next bar as the F isn't voiced consistently through it. Mind you, it's an interesting effect to cresc the F!

I think there is a little hiss, but more pertinently there is some electronic gadget beepery after 4.5 seconds and something else four seconds later. Ambient noise is such a tiresome hazard.

Nice piece though, and I think you have the spirit right.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:55 am 
Site Admin

Sounded to me like a car horn at 4.5 seconds and then I don't know what at 4 seconds later....

So I brought the file into my Amazing Slow-downer program to see if I could hear that chord better, and you are right, Andrew. It's the bottom LH note - should be an F-natural. One more little thing, Richard. the rhythm at bar 8 - I think the very last RH note should come down by itself after all the other notes. At least that's how I play it, but I could be wrong about that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:15 pm 

Nice!

Quote:
I wonder if anyone else hears quite a bit of hiss in the background or is it just me?

The background noise is rather high but I don't hear hiss. It can be removed easily : here attached.

Quote:
there is some electronic gadget beepery after 4.5 seconds and something else four seconds later.

May be people (children ?) discussing in another room (the kitchen ?) ? May be TV or radio at 55" ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:37 am 

Thank you Didier, for your editing!

The two sets of windows were shut and the street is a pedestrian one, the washing machine had been switched off especially, we have no television, the radio is never used, the computer was not on (and if it had been, it is a very silent one), my wife was at work and we only have one child, who was asleep in the other room. There were no passing ambulances or policemen. The only sound I noticed was that which came from the piano, so it must have been the pedal or the hammers. Considering the commercial recordings I have heard of very famous musicians indeed where one can hear the keys on the oboe click, the bow hit the violin string and the damper returning to position on the harpsichord I would have thought that having no ambient noise to be impossible, at least in the world of us lesser amateurs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:47 am 

Hi Richard,

I had a listen to your recording of Scriabin. I think your use of tempo is good, I enjoy the way you phrase this piece as well. If I could recommend one thing it would be to alter the dynamics a little more. About the alleged car horn, I do not hear it, but I confess I am listening to your piece in the version Didier resubmitted.

Nice to hear you playing again :) ,

~Riley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
So I brought the file into my Amazing Slow-downer program to see if I could hear that chord better

That is CRUEL. :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:
So I brought the file into my Amazing Slow-downer program to see if I could hear that chord better

That is CRUEL. :P

pffff.... :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:48 pm 

Quote:
The two sets of windows were shut and the street is a pedestrian one, the washing machine had been switched off especially, we have no television, the radio is never used, the computer was not on (and if it had been, it is a very silent one), my wife was at work and we only have one child, who was asleep in the other room. There were no passing ambulances or policemen.

Richard,

I did not mean by any way that there would be some disturbing noises in your recording. Just some very low level and short signals that I think that I am hearing behind the music. Since Joan of Arc, we French people use to hear voices. :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:02 am 

Didier wrote:
Quote:
The two sets of windows were shut and the street is a pedestrian one, the washing machine had been switched off especially, we have no television, the radio is never used, the computer was not on (and if it had been, it is a very silent one), my wife was at work and we only have one child, who was asleep in the other room. There were no passing ambulances or policemen.

Richard,

I did not mean by any way that there would be some disturbing noises in your recording. Just some very low level and short signals that I think that I am hearing behind the music. Since Joan of Arc, we French people use to hear voices. :P

What do they say if you play it backwards? :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
What do they say if you play it backwards? :twisted:

John is dead.... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:37 pm 

I t'ink I go home.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:54 am 

Hey Richard,

I just got around to listening to this. I think that you did a very fine job. Your phrasing and dynamic movement is effective. You maintain a good sense of legato with these long slow notes, which is not an easy task on an instrument that begins to decay as soon as the note is played. And you hold your tempo very well, again not mean feat on a slow piece like this -- there is always such a tendency to shorten notes by just the slightest fraction.

Good job.

Scott