Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Debussy - La puerta del Vino
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:56 am 
Site Admin

Recorded tonight; here is my attempt at this piece. What cool harmonies and rhythm - I really love the sound of this one! Unfortunately, I did not have much time to spend listening to other pianists play this, so I'm not sure if my interpretation is okay or not. And then I was worried about if I used too much pedal, not enough pedal, too much legato, too much detached notes, etc...

Comments welcomed. :)

Debussy - Preludes Book 2, No. 3 "La Puerta del Vino"

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Re: Debussy - La puerto del Vino
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:37 am 

Hi Monica,

I had a listen to your recording, nice playing and I liked how the voices against the main one blended together. This piece is new to me, I feel like i'm more familiar with Chopin's preludes than Debussys. I liked the opening motif in this prelude but must say, is a farcry from the dreamy melodies Debussy is known for such as the eponymous Claire de Lune :) Some of the harmonies in the beginning remind me of the no.3 Gershwin prelude you played recently. I wonder if Gershwin was influenced by Debussy?

For criticism I would say your interpretation is more legato compared to some versions I looked up on youtube, other pianists seem to play it a little snappier, which I don't like, but that's me :roll: :lol:

Look forward to more Debussy Preludes if it is in your plans :P ,

~Riley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:08 am 

Hm, Monica, you will excuse me, but in Spain doors and city gates are ladies and ladies in Spain are more often than not identified by final "a"s, while the gents pride themselves on final "o"s.

El puerto - masculine, means "the port"
La puerta - feminine, means "the gate" (in this case), "the door"

So it really ought to be "La Puerta del Vino" - "The Wine Gate"

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:08 pm 

Hi Monica,

I really liked your interpretation and playing of this prelude. You capture the mystery and intrigue surrounding the historic wine gate, the festive atmosphere, colorful street dances, and the rest. The habanera rhythm was very crisp too. Beautifully done!

David

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:01 pm 

Hi Monica,
I'll be listening tonight or tomorrow, but 'till then, I want to pose the following link for a bit of historical/cultural context for the piece. http://www.alhambradegranada.org/en/info/placesandspots/winegate.asp Enjoy! :)

Post subject: Re: Debussy - La puerta del Vino
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

@Riley - Thank you, I'm glad you like my style of playing this. I too am much more familiar with Chopin's preludes, than with Debussy's. But Debussy sure has a way with neato harmonies and rhythm like this one, so I'd like to someday explore more of his preludes. And you're right about this one sounding a little bit like Gershwin. Probably Gershwin was a little influenced by Debussy.

@Richard - Thank you for the spelling correction. I had it right on the file name, but not on the topic subject. Maybe the wine I was drinking when I was playing this piece made me screw up....(haha - I'm kidding...maybe)

@David - Thank you for listening and commenting. I'll listen to your Glazanov recording later today or tonight when I get home from work.

@Eddy - Thanks for the link, but it won't open. I did manage to find another site with information on this Gate. Pretty interesting. Makes me wonder why Debussy composed this style of music for this particular place. That habanera rhythm - like did people kind of sashay or strut or dance around once they got their wine and proceeded through the gate and into the city? Sounds like a fun place!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

It's very well executed, especially the arpeggios. Technically and sonically, nothing to niggle about.
I find it a little too metronomic though, a little lacking in languor and passion. And in some places, a little too dry. Could be a matter of taste.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:26 am 

Hi Monica,
The link works for me. Maybe a filter from your work place?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:43 am 

Hi Monica,
Ok, I just listened to your performance with score in hand. In general, I like it very much. I don't know how this is going to sound but, I felt like I wanted you to play the the LH rhythm with your back a bit straighter and with a bit of condescending pride. <Ok, I'm going over the top now.> I suppose I mean with a bit more hautiness and strutting. If you're thinking of Chicago with this, then you will want to address two sections: on page one where the 6-tuplets occur, you rush those beats. Secondly, you missed the four bars on the last page that come before "Un peu retarde." One other thing, have you thought of using the sostenuto pedal anywhere, like on page 2 four bars before "Rubato" and similar places? Just an idea.

Thanks for the post!
Eddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:25 am 
Site Admin

Oh @#$%& :x :x Eddy, I can't believe I left out four whole bars! :oops: :oops: I've never done that before. Guess I really should not drink wine and record at the same time!!! (but it was only one glass...)

Looks like I'll be re-recording this one - probably tomorrow. Meantime, I don't hear that I'm coming in early on the first page. And I actually did apply the una chorda pedal in various places. I hear it very clearly when I listen back. The color of the tone is much different in those places, but I know where I did it and so maybe that's why it's obvious to me. Well, jeeze I still can't believe I skipped some bars...Tomorrow, I will try playing with a straighter back, strut more, and get all bars accounted for. Thank you very very much for telling me this!!!

p.s. yes, your link works for me now at home.

@Thank you too, Chris. I think my style is just the way it is and is just my taste, but you know what? I actually did have my metronome flashing up there next to my music when I was recording. Ok, that's another thing to correct tomorrow.... :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:40 am 

Quote:
Oh @#$%& Eddy, I can't believe I left out four whole bars! I've never done that before. Guess I really should not drink wine and record at the same time!!! (but it was only one glass...) Looks like I'll be re-recording this one - probably tomorrow.

:lol: Oh. I get it, drink vino, record Vino.
Quote:
And I actually did apply the una chorda pedal in various places.
:? Are you drinking again? Check my post carefully :mrgreen: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:53 am 
Site Admin

Oh...haha...wrong pedal. :lol: :lol:
That's a very good idea about using the sostenuto pedal in those places. Then I can keep the LH from blurring so much. I'll do that tomorrow when I re-record. Thank you again, Eddy.
Cheers! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:41 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Oh @#$%& :x :x Eddy, I can't believe I left out four whole bars! :oops: :oops:

Rats, I missed that :x Must listen more carefully.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Oh @#$%& :x :x Eddy, I can't believe I left out four whole bars! :oops: :oops:

Rats, I missed that :x Must listen more carefully.

Yes, you are slipping! :P

Okay, I just re-recorded this with all bars intact. (still can't believe I did that :oops: ). Anyway, I used the sostenuto pedal a couple times and tried to play with a 'straighter back' - like I imagined someone placing their hand on the small of my back as I played to remind me. Not sure if that comes out in my playing this time or not.... I think this version is a little 'dryer' but I do like this take better.

Debussy - Preludes Book 2, No. 3 "La puerta del Vino"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Yes, you are slipping! :P

Oh I dunno... I did not check with score, and I haven't played this piece for at least 5 years, probably more.