Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: My Christmas music arr. for 2 pianos, (World Premiere)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:09 am 
I finally got around getting done the printing of Christmas Chimes, a potpourri of traditional Christmas songs I arranged for 2 pianos last year, with a bit of my own touch... I'm happy to say that a concert pianist team http://www.duovivo.com/ will be premiering this work later this year. This version is played with sampled pianos by yours truly, but I'm looking forward to hearing it with live pianos in concert.  In this video you can follow the score, however, if you want to do that, use full screen in HD. I Hope you will enjoy it!

Last edited by guybacos on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My Christmas music arrangements for 2 pianos, video/score
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:58 pm 
Looking at the other threads, which are very interesting to read, but don't forget about the composers still alive.... Support is always appreciated. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quite strange to listen to a X-mas medley in august ....
What a great piece of work Guy ! I've developed a certain fondness for X-mas medleys since I had to play one with a choice last Christmas. This one is extremely entertaining and I've enjoyed it a lot. Especially where towards the end you throw a couple of songs in the stew together, very inventive. I felt it was over too soon after that - even though the work as a whole is longish. One should not complain about that though because most Christmas songs are really beautiful. Except Jingle Bells :x But you managed to make something out of that too - a good idea to put it right at the beginning and be done with it :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:05 pm 
Thanks Chris for taking the time to listen and give your thoughts, also appreciate the kind words!

Yeah, I can see it's strange presenting Christmas music so early, :) it's to give a chance to prepare the piece in time for the holiday season for anyone interested in the pdf score, which is now available. Some pretty competent pianists on this forum... knowledgeable too!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:20 am 

Guybacos,
I listened, I watched, I loved, I want! You have arranged an excellent Christmas medly for two pianos! I'm thrilled for you that it will be premiered by some pros! I noticed that on page 14, top line the chords were arpeggiated in performance, but in the score the chords were missing the arpeggio symbols; you may want to correct the score. I hope you'll provide an mp3 of the performance this Christmas. Thank you for lifting my spirits in August.

Regards,
Eddy

Last edited by musical-md on Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:45 am 

Guybarcos,

That is wonderful. It has everything that one would want in a Christmas medley.

I must admit, that it has taken me a moment to listen to it because 90 degree summer temps and Christmas does not completely fit (although, I should be used to similar, having lived in S. Texas on the Mexican border for 22 years). But now that, as choir director at my church, I am being innundated with ads for Christmas cantatas, I was ready. This is definitely a keeper.

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Kinda funny that I initially dismissed this as too slick and glitzy. But that was the condensed version, which had sections fading in and out. There was too much happening in too short time, and it was awkwardly joined together. Maybe the sound quality/playing was different too, I don't remember. This time I have no such misgivings.

It would be nice to play this at Christmas, if only I had an extra piano and pianist at hand :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:14 am 
Thanks guys, it's nice to get these wonderful comments!

It's very difficult to promote your own compositions, so any word of mouth would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Post subject: World Premiere of Christmas Chimes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:04 am 
Just want to update. Currently a dozen duo professional pianists are planing to perform it, and the world premiere will be this Saturday Dec 10 (or was Dec 10th if you are reading this after the 10th), in Montreal at Vincent D'Indy performed by the duo pianists: Julia Valero/Fernando Saint-Martin. So just wanted to mention this.

Thanks.

Enjoy!

Guy

Post subject: Re: My Christmas music arr. for 2 pianos, (World Premiere)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:28 am 

Guy,
This is one of the very finest Christmas arrangements I have ever heard! You have created a beautiful contribution to the Christmas literature that I hope lasts a long time. Thank you for the treat. I wish you had a solo and 4-hand version. Congratulations!

Best wishes,
Eddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:18 am 
musical-md wrote:
Guy,
This is one of the very finest Christmas arrangements I have ever heard! You have created a beautiful contribution to the Christmas literature that I hope lasts a long time. Thank you for the treat. I wish you had a solo and 4-hand version. Congratulations!

Best wishes,
Eddy

This must be the nicest compliment I got, thank you so much!

Yes, I do have a 4 hand version for this piece. Some duos had a difficult time getting venues with 2 pianos, so I made an arrangement for piano duet.

If you're interested I'd be glad to send you a copy.

Guy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:52 am 

guybacos wrote:
musical-md wrote:
Guy,

Best wishes,
Eddy

This must be the nicest compliment I got, thank you so much!

Yes, I do have a 4 hand version for this piece. Some duos had a difficult time getting venues with 2 pianos, so I made an arrangement for piano duet.

If you're interested I'd be glad to send you a copy.

Guy

ABSOLUTELY! POSITIVELY! Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:25 am 
Check your stocking. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:45 pm 

While letting my wife hear this, I just had a great idea! Print out the parts and play along with the YouTube recording for fun!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Again, great piece of work ! Your interesting harmonic treatment of Jingle Bells and Silent Night even made me overcome my aversion to these silly songs D: Very good how you juggle all the themes in the run-up to the coda.
I'd love to hear the proper piano version, please post if any of your duos share their recording :!: