Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 am
Posts: 1250
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
This is not about personality-changing medications. :D I just want to put out there that maybe the ratio of responses to files submitted-at-once may be inversely proportional. I know that I, for one, feel that it is a big effort to listen to and comment with particulars to a whole collection of something. I think that if you want others to comment with care on your efforts, you aren't likely to get the same result if you dump a truck-full of music for them to review. :?:

_________________
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:35 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
I agree and have many times over the years requested that members don't submit more than two or three recordings at a time. But I admit it is because I don't want to do all the work involved with processing multiple recordings. It is true too that I don't want to sit for an hour and listen to someones ten recordings, so I just don't. Unless it's someone I care about. But in times when I have to, then my medicine is aspirin (or wine...that's better... :lol: )

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 1040
If you are speaking of the recording of which I am thinking I had other thoughts when I came across the post and must say I stopped reading what was written at a certain point, even if I had some goodwill to start with, I gave up after that and probably will not listen to them, even if it might have been interestring to compare them to mine.

_________________
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:01 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
It is most annoying when a member who does not comment regularly on other members does in fact one day submit 10-plus recordings. I used to have time to critique each one, but I don't anymore. But I do want to keep encouraging other members here to stay involved on the forum and critique recordings as often as they are able. That way, even if Chris or I do not have time to listen to everything, then at least other members are helping us out by doing the listening. Fortunately, people don't normally post large amounts of recordings, except for the recent posting. :wink: And except for Chris. :P

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 am
Posts: 1250
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
richard66 wrote:
If you are speaking of the recording of which I am thinking I had other thoughts when I came across the post and must say I stopped reading what was written at a certain point, even if I had some goodwill to start with, I gave up after that and probably will not listen to them, even if it might have been interestring to compare them to mine.

Hi Richard,
I assure you that I was not thinking of any particular recordings or individual as several have submitted "sets" at once, rather, just as I said, the more that is submitted, the less I'm inclined (maybe others too) to get into the nitty-gritty of critiquing. It's a lot of work!

_________________
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:38 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9496
Location: Netherlands
pianolady wrote:
Fortunately, people don't normally post large amounts of recordings, except for the recent posting. :wink: And except for Chris. :P

I don't really anymore, that was a long time ago. Except for some complete sets I posted.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:28 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Fortunately, people don't normally post large amounts of recordings, except for the recent posting. :wink: And except for Chris. :P

I don't really anymore, that was a long time ago. Except for some complete sets I posted.


Complete sets = many recordings.

Complete sets of more than six I think is too much to listen to/critique at a time. Of course anyone is free to invest in however much time they feel like investing. Plus, everybody is used to you doing it by now, so it's not that big of a deal.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:54 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9496
Location: Netherlands
pianolady wrote:
Plus, everybody is used to you doing it by now, so it's not that big of a deal.

Oh good. It got me worried for a while :P

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
Also, I bet he puts up his own recordings. :wink:

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:22 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
Terez wrote:
Also, I bet he puts up his own recordings. :wink:

No, I have to do it! Can you believe that?? :lol:

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
pianolady wrote:
Terez wrote:
Also, I bet he puts up his own recordings. :wink:

No, I have to do it! Can you believe that?? :lol:

Can't you, you know...put your foot down or something? That's ridiculous!

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:07 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
That was a little joke....hehe :lol:
I would have quit a long time ago, or I'd be totally bonkers by now if I had to put up his recordings too! :)

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
I considered that you were being facetious. But somehow I can see Chris talking you into doing it. (Usually it seems that he puts them up before he even posts in the AR - I've only ever seen links in his posts, and the same for yours ever since you became an admin.)

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:20 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9496
Location: Netherlands
Terez wrote:
I considered that you were being facetious. But somehow I can see Chris talking you into doing it. (Usually it seems that he puts them up before he even posts in the AR - I've only ever seen links in his posts, and the same for yours ever since you became an admin.)

Of course. No reason to first attach them in the forum if we can upload them directly to the live site.

It would be great if more people could do that. Downloading attachments, renaming and tagging them, and then uploading them to the site, is no fun. When I ever get to finish the naming and tagging rules (I'm procrastinating on it like there's no tomorrow :roll: ) I may well give selected pianists this possibility. We'd still have to update the site pages but at least the files would be there, properly named and tagged.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Take your medicine!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:30 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8463
techneut wrote:
It would be great if more people could do that. Downloading attachments, renaming and tagging them, and then uploading them to the site, is no fun. When I ever get to finish the naming and tagging rules (I'm procrastinating on it like there's no tomorrow :roll: ) I may well give selected pianists this possibility. We'd still have to update the site pages but at least the files would be there, properly named and tagged.

I will throw a big party when that day comes! :P

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group