Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Some more Debussy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, when in your opinion, does editing cease to be the valid?

The many discussions we had about this were probably before your time here. There are many kinds of editing ranging from a simple cut to completely doctoring one's performance. Most people I think will agree that a couple of simple cuts do not compromise a recording in any way, and that heavily doctoring one's performance is wrong. Somewhere in between lies "the line". But you just try and find it. As with all things, there is no clear line between right and wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:53 pm 

techneut wrote:
richard66 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, when in your opinion, does editing cease to be the valid?

The many discussions we had about this were probably before your time here. There are many kinds of editing ranging from a simple cut to completely doctoring one's performance. Most people I think will agree that a couple of simple cuts do not compromise a recording in any way, and that heavily doctoring one's performance is wrong. Somewhere in between lies "the line". But you just try and find it. As with all things, there is no clear line between right and wrong.

Well, I do not wish to hijack your thread, so this should be enough for the nonce. If and when I present the recording I am thinking of and if it is edited... We shall see.

I am still to listen to these recordings, this is why I have not yet commented!

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:59 am 

Hi Chris,

Well, I make mistakes also--"errors caused by slips of the fingers" as I like to say. :lol: But I'm a realist knowing my strengths and limitations. So I soldier on with complete takes, as it's my personal ideal in striving for a good, spontaneous recording. I can't play like Kissin, Berezovsky, or Hamelin, of course, so with my technique such as it is, I just aim to do the best I can. If some people take pleasure in hearing a particular recording I've submitted, then that's all the reward I need. That's my Carnegie Hall. :)

David

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Rachfan wrote:
Well, I make mistakes also--"errors caused by slips of the fingers" as I like to say. :lol: But I'm a realist knowing my strengths and limitations. So I soldier on with complete takes, as it's my personal ideal in striving for a good, spontaneous recording. I can't play like Kissin, Berezovsky, or Hamelin, of course, so with my technique such as it is, I just aim to do the best I can. If some people take pleasure in hearing a particular recording I've submitted, then that's all the reward I need. That's my Carnegie Hall. :)

We're not so different here.

Except that I would rather make a cut than leave in a glaring slip (the slips that I do leave in are by and large inconsequential). I'd guess that there may a cut per page on average. When videotaping, a cut every two pages (the page turn). I don't believe this make my recordings any worse, or less spontaneous. But if it does, I would love to hear. The aim of course is to not need any editing and still produce errorfree recordings. Due to limited technique, practice and recording time, and the fact I want to record so much music, I am not likely to reach that goal. Though it's getting a bit better all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:57 pm 

I did not want to add to this, but since the discussion goes on, I would say I have made no new recordings and maybe I will do no more, because I cannot even get a one-page piece without one or two minor errors, which are then placed under the microscope and which I cannot edit, or at least which I am not capable of doing with my present setup.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
I did not want to add to this, but since the discussion goes on, I would say I have made no new recordings and maybe I will do no more, because I cannot even get a one-page piece without one or two minor errors, which are then placed under the microscope and which I cannot edit, or at least which I am not capable of doing with my present setup.

It is not such a big deal to download Wavepad and cut out your flub. I see no reason why you could not do that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:22 am 

Wavepad. I'll see to that. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:36 pm 

I have finally managed to listen to these. Two of them I knew already but I was pleasantly surprised by the earliest piece, which I enjoyed listening to. A welcome addition to the site.

I have heard at least three versions of the Valse Romantique, but somehow it fails to tell me anything.

Las plus que Lente was not as slow as the name suggests, which is a good thing. I have heard it almost stopping on occasion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:39 am 

Hi Chris,

I had a listen to these Debussy recordings. Good playing all around, I enjoyed the listen. I haven't heard these pieces before and I must say they don't strike me as pieces Debussy would write. Nevertheless they are tuneful and I will with joy add them to my Debussy recordings!

Thanks for expanding my Debussy canon :lol:

~Riley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Thanks guys. Early Debussy is often surprising, sometimes a bit gauche, but never less than entertaining.