Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Martucci Fantasy on "La forza del destino"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:56 am 

Chopinesque wrote:
Hello Andrew, I've never heard of this composer either and can't comment on your playing because it's far beyond me, but I just wanted to say it sounds very impressive and I've enjoyed it.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately recordings of Martucci's compositions are few and far between.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

andrew wrote:
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately recordings of Martucci's compositions are few and far between.

Actually there's a super budget 4-CD box from Brilliant Classics with recordings licensed from the ASV label, with the complete orchestral works
(the two symphonies, two piano concerti, La Canzone dei Ricordi, and some assorted trifles). Sounds a little dated (1989) but still very good, well worth the modest price. And awesome piano playing from Francesco Caramiello (these are two monster concertos).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:53 am 

techneut wrote:
andrew wrote:

Actually there's a super budget 4-CD box from Brilliant Classics with recordings licensed from the ASV label, with the complete orchestral works
(the two symphonies, two piano concerti, La Canzone dei Ricordi, and some assorted trifles). Sounds a little dated (1989) but still very good, well worth the modest price. And awesome piano playing from Francesco Caramiello (these are two monster concertos).

I actually have the original ASV recording of the 2nd concerto; in size and conception it approaches the scale of the Busoni concerto, but not in my opinion on the same musical level.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:31 am 
Site Admin

andrew wrote:
I actually have the original ASV recording of the 2nd concerto; in size and conception it approaches the scale of the Busoni concerto, but not in my opinion on the same musical level.

Indeed not. The problem with Martucci is that he was a very accomplished composer and pianist but he consistently failed to produce memorable tunes. And a good tune is IMO what makes you want to listen to a piece again. The Busoni concerto has them in spades - on top of everything else.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:29 am 

Andrew wrote:
Quote:
That's actually very useful to me as the Edirol forms part of my intended set up for future recordings - I'll speak to the source I got the microphones from so that I can find out details. This will influence my choice of microphone purchase (I'm not convinced by the ones I bought with the Edirol). It probably also helped that the microphone placement was done by one of my teachers who has a keen interest in such things and a very good ear.

That sounds well. Take time to test several microphones and to choose the one you really like!