Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Some organ stuff
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

Some organ stuff I recorded today while practicing for tomorrow's service. The chorale Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr is very appropriate for tomorrow, the first sunday after Trinitatis. The two Walthers are re-recordings (I only half realized I had already recorded these... but the new ones are better anyway). I love this little Fughetta by Andreas Nikolaus Vetter which I think works really well with full plenum. The psalms have improvised endings, no.150 a bit more elaborate as it is the last in the book. Hope you enjoy.

Zachau - Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr(1:00)
Vetter - Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr (Fughette)(1:03)
Walther - Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr(1:32)
Walther - Chorale Preludes - Ach Gott und Herr (2:35)
Psalms - No. 8 : Lord how Your name shines in glory (2:02)
Psalms - No. 150 : Praise ye the Lord (2:29)

Post subject: Re: Some organ stuff
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:20 am 

techneut wrote:
Some organ stuff I recorded today while practicing for tomorrow's service. The chorale Allein Gott in der Höh sei Ehr is very appropriate for tomorrow, the first sunday after Trinitatis. The two Walthers are re-recordings (I only half realized I had already recorded these... but the new ones are better anyway). I love this little Fughetta by Andreas Nikolaus Vetter which I think works really well with full plenum. The psalms have improvised endings, no.150 a bit more elaborate as it is the last in the book. Hope you enjoy.

Chris, unless your church is on a different calendar, tomorrow is Trinity Sunday, making next week the first Sunday after Trinity (or as you are calling it "Trinitatis" -- sounds like some kind of infection.)

Haven't had a chance to listen to the recordings yet, they are downloading as I type.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:22 am 

Hi Chris,

I just listened to all of these organ works. To me they sounded very well played indeed. I don't know how you simultaneously learn so many new piano AND organ pieces! You're the proverbial "fast study". :)

David

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:35 am 

Those were all very enjoyable performances. Good music well played.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:03 am 

Chris,
I agree these are all very well played. Special request: How about some toccatas, voluntaries and fantasias?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

RSPIll wrote:
Chris, unless your church is on a different calendar, tomorrow is Trinity Sunday, making next week the first Sunday after Trinity (or as you are calling it "Trinitatis" -- sounds like some kind of infection.)

I stand corrected... has misread the heading of the liturgy. It is called Trinitatis here though, for better or worse.

RSPIll wrote:
I just listened to all of these organ works. To me they sounded very well played indeed. I don't know how you simultaneously learn so many new piano AND organ pieces! You're the proverbial "fast study".

Not everything I record is new. I am doing a lot of re-recording recently, and recording things that I've played for ages. Only two of these were new to me, and they're not exactly difficult. As for 'fast study', some of the large Bach chorales seem to take a lifetime to learn, and sometimes bring me close to despair. You would not believe the amount of sweat and pain that goes into them.

RSPIll wrote:
Those were all very enjoyable performances. Good music well played.

musical-md wrote:
I agree these are all very well played. Special request: How about some toccatas, voluntaries and fantasias?

Thanks Eddy. Sure there is a lot to explore still. But being the good Lutheran that I am, I am most drawn to the chorales which I consider the best organ works (with only Bach's wonderful Trio Sonatas coming close). So much to do, so little time....