It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Poulenc and Borodin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

The juufster is back ! :D :o

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:29 pm 

juffa! Hey, what are you doing here. :lol: Are you still overseas? Have you had any glumpkies yet? Nice that you're back at Audition Room.

David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:22 pm 

Hi Monica, I loved the Poulenc piece, which I didn't know before!!! Thank you for sharing :D I though your recording quality is blameless. But your sound is always ok.
And "Hi!" to Juuf 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:18 pm 

techneut wrote:
richard66 wrote:
I finally got around to listening to these. At one point I had the Borodin suite, but gave it up as a bad job, for the same reason as Chris, though I must say you do a good job of it and I must compliment you for it and thank you for making me listen to this piece with different ears.
I wish I could say the same. But it sounded much like when I was playing it myself - tedious. I honestly would not know how to make something interesting out of this piece. Some items in the suite have a little more color but it's all very watery. Borodin's piano magnum opus, the Scherzo, holds more pianist interest but is also rather dull and repetitive.

richard66 wrote:
The Poulenc I found less interesting. His PIANO music is to me always a bit of a disappointment when I compared it to his orchestral and chamber music.
Poulenc and disappointment :shock: I thought I heard them all...

Note my edit, Chris. I had forgotten the main word! :oops:

Indeed, Chris, indeed. And Poulenc has some lovely works. Right offhand I can think of his sinfonietta, his Animaux Modeles and his concerto for 2 pianos.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm 

juufa72 wrote:
techneut wrote:
Of the Mighty Five, Borodin was the one who had the least affinity with the piano - even Rimsky-Korsakov produced better piano pieces (not to mention a rather good piano concerto).

I agree. Borodin did compose wonderful music for chamber instruments. Ooo, also his requiem is rather lovely: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEI2DrwSn_Q

Chopsticks!! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3m7BZ5t ... re=related

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, I've just finished re-recording the Poulenc. I tried using more pedal throughout and also bringing out the C in the last chord. The Gershwin Chord - still sounds like that to me. And the more I play this piece, the more I love it!!!

So...well...if anyone here can be so kind as to tell me if my pedaling is better now?

Poulenc - Improvisation No. 7 in C Major

One thing I just learned in case anyone is interested - For some reason as I was recording a few minutes ago, lots of birds suddenly started singing when I was toward the end - the quite part. Maybe they didn't like my playing....I had to stop and restart about five times, but the birds kept singing. Well, when I processed the recording, taking out hiss and adding reverb, I discovered that most of the bird sounds are now gone. Isn't that interesting? (maybe only to me it is...).

@Hye-Jin - Thank you for listening and commenting. :)

@Eddy - Thank you for your thoughts on the Borodin piece. :) It's not that I don't agree with them; I just can't devote anymore time to the piece because I have a lot more pieces I want and need to practice.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:36 pm 

Hi Monica,

This rendition is better with the added pedal in my opinion. Now it has a nice sheen to it and glows more. In late romantic music like this, I've found that you can always spill excessive overtones with deft half-pedal releases, which enables a wetter sound overall. Also the faster tone decay of Yamaha is a help too in a piece like this. That piano, like Baldwin, is more forgiving of the pedal. I like this performance a lot! Wonderful!

David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Yes that is much better indeed. Now the music is more than the sum of the notes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:28 am 
Site Admin

Ok, thank you very much! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:40 am 

Definitely better. It sounds much fuller now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

andrew wrote:
Definitely better. It sounds much fuller now.
Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:05 am 

Hi Monica, the Borodin piece doesn't sound stereotypically "Russian." However, I admit, it's pretty catchy and hypnotic for a Nocturne. Borodin?... OK, it's another feather in the composer cap. :D
Ah, Poulenc! Now, there is a fantastic composer! A dear friend of the family was an organist and he first introduced me to Poulenc. He passed away a few years ago, but I gained a better appreciation for the composer after hearing him play the Poulenc Concerto in G minor at Methuen Memorial Hall (which has a better organ than the Symphony Hall). I agree, the last chord is Gershwinesque... Or at least like the end of the 2nd Prelude for Piano.
Great playing with a wonderful sense of style and fluidity!

George

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:14 am 

Hi Monica,

I had a listen to both your Poulenc and Borodin pieces.

For the Borodin Nocturne, I have good things to say about it. The phrasing you have applied to it, for one. Also the dynamics and the use of pedal. Interesting piece by Borodin. I think the only piece I listened to in my Music Lit class by him was his Polovetsian Dances, which I really liked. I learned in my music theory class that Borodin was an accomplished Chemist and that he did not compose a great deal if not in part, then because of this his occupation as a chemist. So this may sound weird but as I listened to your piece I imagined a man in a lab coat mixing chemicals :lol:

For the Poulenc Improv I liked the tempo you choose to use and the emphasis of the downbeat. And I definitely agree the end sounds like Gershwin! I don't know much about Poulenc, so thanks for the introduction!

~Riley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

@Riley - thank you! That's certainly a different way of listening to Borodin! :lol:

@George - thank you! I meant to look into more Poulenc, maybe from this set, or maybe from another set, but forgot. Thanks for reminding me. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 am 

Hi Monica,
I have listened to both pieces with score and I have to say, they are very well played. Both are interesting little pieces, especially the Borodin is very interesting because of these little chromatic progressions in the chord-repetitions. I have enjoyed your performance very much.