Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: some Grieg Lyric Pieces
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Been in the mood for Grieg and Mompou lately. Mompou will have to wait until probably next week, but here are a few Grieg Lyric Pieces. I picked them out because I like the titles - but I do also have to like the actual music too before I'll devote practice time to it. Three of these happen to fall in the same Op. 57. "Puck" just got in there because I think it's cute and fun to play - not as easy as it sounds though....

Grieg - Lyric Pieces Op. 57, No. 3 "Illusion"

Grieg - Lyric Pieces Op. 57, No. 4 "Secret"

Grieg - Lyric Pieces Op. 57, No. 6 "Homesickness"

Grieg - Lyric Pieces Op,. 71, No. 3 "Puck"

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject: Re: some Grieg Lyric Pieces
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:51 am 
Site Admin

I listened to the last two. Well done.
The Ppuck could perhaps be a bit sharper and more puckish. The double notes don't always come well together. I find that tricky, a lone double-note in the midst of a single-note sequence (Kapustin does that a lot too).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
I listened to the last two. Well done.
The Ppuck could perhaps be a bit sharper and more puckish. The double notes don't always come well together. I find that tricky, a lone double-note in the midst of a single-note sequence (Kapustin does that a lot too).

Thanks for listening to some. Regarding double notes.....hmmmm....I don't get it...I hear every note, so I wish you'd enlighten me as to what is not coming out right. :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

Starting at bar 3, the RH has thirds interspersed with the single notes. It is these thirds that don't always come out clean. Some are fine but some are quite unequal, making things sound a bit sluggish in these places. If you listen back and concentrate on these thirds you should hear what I mean.
I don't mean the ones like in bar 5 and 6, those are fine (but they are the easy ones).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, so you mean the thirds, not the double notes. I admit that some of the combinations are hard to play evenly. Grieg must have had long pinkys! Still, I do not hear that I am sluggish in these places.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:47 am 

Hey Monica,

I finally got a chance to listen. These are beautifully done. You are truely invested in these pieces.

(I hope what I am saying will come out right in typing.) I have listened to your many wonderful performances. In these pieces I feel that I am truely hearing Monica making the music. Grieg may have written the notes, but this is your music. In many of the other performances I have felt that I was listening to Monica playing Chopin or Faure or whoever. (Is this making any sense??) Here, you have a full connection with the music.

Anyway, great job.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:19 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Oh, so you mean the thirds, not the double notes. I admit that some of the combinations are hard to play evenly. Grieg must have had long pinkys! Still, I do not hear that I am sluggish in these places.

Sluggish maybe not. Let's just say that it slightly impairs Puck's impish darting around.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:28 pm 

I Do not seem to comment on most of your efforts, but this is becausde very often you take me out of my territory, but here I am in a land I like, so I have listened to these and the big picture is that I like what you do and they way you do it.

Maybe my understanding of dynamics needs to be revised (and I mean just what I say and am impying nothing else here), but maybe there needs to be a little bit more difference between pp and ff. I only say this because these markings appear on the score, as this does not at all disturb me. Maybe I better stop looking at scores! To me your version does fine and I felt merry, mischieveous Puck in the eaves, looking down at you and nodding.

In Homesickness I prefer the A section a shade slower, to bring out the yearning quality of the theme.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

@Chris - Maybe my Puck had a couple cocktails and that's why he is impaired a bit...

@Scott - thank you, I think that's one of the nicest things anyone has every said to me.

@Richard - You don't have to redefine dynamics: I admit that my dynamics come out better in some recordings than in others. Sometimes it's my lack of applying enough forte to the forte parts - but other times I really think it's simply the recording device that is not quite picking up everything. Things sound plenty loud or soft to me as I'm sitting there. Well...that's my story, and I'm sticking to it....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
@Chris - Maybe my Puck had a couple cocktails and that's why he is impaired a bit...

Sounds plausible. Though I thought you were blaming it on the Short Pinky Syndrome ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:32 pm 

Hi Monica,

I know some of the Lyric Pieces, but not all, as there are over 70 of them I believe. Grieg is quite a story teller able to create instant visual images, as in "Secret". I listened to all four pieces that you presented here and want to compliment you on your very fine playing. You definitely brought your artistry and thorough musicianship to bear in all of these pieces. I especially liked "Homesickness" where in the middle section I marveled at your extraordinary dexterity there. Remarkable! You relate to Grieg well, and it shows in these performances.

David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:51 am 

Wonderful suite, Monica. I liked Homesickness and the Puck the most. These pieces really "Pucked" me up. :P Go Blackhawks! I think you shoot that "Puck" well. It seemed that the thirds weren't together in just a few places where you have the white and black key pair. I just looked up the music to see how you were playing those triad passages. There's no fingering on my urtext score, but I tried to see on the piano how one can play it accurately fast. What fingering do you use on the triad passages? Starting the root note on the thumb feels tricky, except for the A-flat triad passage. Have you tried this fingering 2, 1, (24), 1, 2, etc. on the E-flat triad?... I always think that thirds are the most difficult technical feat for a pianist, at least for my hands. In any case, very nice performances!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:05 am 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
pianolady wrote:

Sounds plausible. Though I thought you were blaming it on the Short Pinky Syndrome ...

Ohhhh...yes, playing while tipsy and having Short Pinky Syndrome - a double wammy! Poor Puck....(but you know, this may be hard to believe, but I can relate.... :lol: ).
Rachfan wrote:
Hi Monica,
You definitely brought your artistry and thorough musicianship to bear in all of these pieces. I especially liked "Homesickness" where in the middle section I marveled at your extraordinary dexterity there. Remarkable! You relate to Grieg well, and it shows in these performances.

David

Thank you, David. I love Grieg!
88man wrote:
Wonderful suite, Monica. I liked Homesickness and the Puck the most. These pieces really "Pucked" me up. :P Go Blackhawks! I think you shoot that "Puck" well. It seemed that the thirds weren't together in just a few places where you have the white and black key pair. I just looked up the music to see how you were playing those triad passages. There's no fingering on my urtext score, but I tried to see on the piano how one can play it accurately fast. What fingering do you use on the triad passages? Starting the root note on the thumb feels tricky, except for the A-flat triad passage. Have you tried this fingering 2, 1, (24), 1, 2, etc. on the E-flat triad?... I always think that thirds are the most difficult technical feat for a pianist, at least for my hands. In any case, very nice performances!

We're all quite flabbergasted at what our Blackhawks are doing!( I have no fingernails left!) But anyway, thank you. And that fingering is interesting, but I'm sure I would not be able to do that because the piece just goes too fast - I don't think I could whip my fingers back and forth around like that so quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:03 am 

pianolady wrote:
@Richard - You don't have to redefine dynamics: I admit that my dynamics come out better in some recordings than in others. Sometimes it's my lack of applying enough forte to the forte parts - but other times I really think it's simply the recording device that is not quite picking up everything. Things sound plenty loud or soft to me as I'm sitting there. Well...that's my story, and I'm sticking to it....

As I say, without the score no one notices it, so, what matter?

As for my remark about the definitions of dynamics I mean it: I am forever wondering: how soft is p and how much softer is pp? And between p to f how much Dbs are there? Has anyone ever defined these, the way that one finds "allegro" defined as, say, 150 to the crotchet? There! There is space for a new invention: not the metronome but the decibelnome! One programmes it for an f and up goes the needle to 50 and all one needs to do is to hit the keys until the needle reaches 50 again. :D

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

That is a neat idea, Richard. You should call it a decinome. Maybe make it a combination deci/metronome. :idea:

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:03 pm 

Hi Monica,

Great interpretations of Grieg Lyric Pieces with some sound phrasing. Although, when I listen to Grieg's Lyric pieces I hear alot more tempo changes throughout the pieces in order to bring out the "picture" of each piece, but that is just my opinion. Nonetheless -great performances and excellent recordings. I especially liked your interpretation of Puck - that has a nice steady rhythm to it.

Keep up the great music.

:D

WR

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you, Werner, and welcome to Piano Society.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:53 pm 

I very much enjoyed listening to these performances especially the op 57 trio.I've never really "got" the lyric pieces, even though I own the Gilels recording that everyone bangs on about, but you've successfully opened my ears to them with your playing.Fine musicianship!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you so much, Tim! You have made my day!! :D

Although I like most of Grieg's music, there are about five or six that I just love!! "Wedding Day at Troldhaugen" is one of them and also the one here, "Homesickness". I can't remember the names of the others right now, but they all have that distinctive Grieg thing - the quirky little harmonies that sound so much like...Grieg! lol
Oh, another one, "Nocturno".