Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bachmann piano
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:16 pm 

I have come across an advertisement for a used Bachmann piano for a song. It is claimed it is almost new and the reason for the sale is relocation. Does anyone have any experience of this make of pianos?

This is rather sketchy information, but this is all that has been provided, so any replies can only be generic.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

Post subject: Re: Bachmann piano
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

What song must you sing, and are you a tenor or a bass?

Richard, try looking in Larry Fine's "The Piano Book". I've never heard of a Bachmann piano, but maybe he's got information on it.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:41 am 

:D I meant the piano was a giveaway.

I have never heard about them either and adding your not knowing and the price... It might well be worth a miss.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
:D I meant the piano was a giveaway.

I know, I was just busting your balls.... :P

Regarding the piano - does it live close to you? Even if it's brand new, you'd need to 'test drive' it to see if you like the sound.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:08 am 

Hi Richard,

I just consulted the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th editions Larry Fine's "The Piano Book" as well as the 2009 Supplement which covers all of the American, European and Asian piano makes including some better known brands from the past. There is no mention of Bachmann piano there. For that reason alone I would have to believe that the brand is not remarkable or commendable in any way aside from being a give-away as you say. Probably the transport charge would be more than the salvage value of the piano. My suggestion would be to avoid it. There are probably many better known and affordable used pianos available that would give you far better performance, satisfaction and pleasure.

David

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:59 pm 

In searching the internet, everything that comes up "Bachmann" and actually has some description indicates that it is a digital keyboard. The model numbers that I have found include "ws" which stands for "work-station" so it should have at least some MIDI recording facility and possibly rhythms. I can find no indication that there is an actual acoustic piano with that name. Apparently the company also makes model trains. Of course musical instruments and trains are closely related items. Surely if you are good at building one you should be good at building the other :roll:

If it is free and nearby, it could be worth a look-see. If nothing else it could be a reasonable keyboard to take with you on trips so that you can keep up your practice. If it can run on batteries, you can even practice in the woods.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:15 am 
Site Admin

RSPIll wrote:
If it can run on batteries, you can even practice in the woods.

:lol: That's funny! :lol:

But Richard, make sure you don't play something that angers the bears, like....hmmm...(can't think of anything good right now...)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:56 am 

Hi,

You know, I never considered that it could be a digital keyboard. I was looking at acoustic pianos only. So back to Fine's 2009 supplement I went to search in the digital section... but still no Bachmann instrument mentioned there either, so my advice still stands. If not a waste of money, it's probably a waste of time you you're actually in the acoustic piano market.

David

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:54 pm 

Thank you all for your comments and efforts. I have seen a picture of the beast and it looks remarkeably like the piano I have already, except that it is black, so no digital keyboard here!

The only reference I found to Bachmann is that there is one in Liszt's house. Apparently his piano was a Bachmann.

As it stands I lost interest. If I have a piano that already causes me some problems (there is not enough space for my fingers and I am forever bangning my hand on the lid) there is no point in going out of my way to buy one. I shall wait for something better.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

I was curious about Liszt's Bachmann piano and looked it up. It's not what I expected at all; does not have very many keys! And actually, I'm surprised Liszt didn't kill it!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:47 am 

That one is not for sale. :cry:

Funny thing. Yesterday there was a concert at the school I work with some students from a music school in Manhattan (I took my 2-year old daughter, but appart from a pained expression due to budding opera singers singing in a living-room not a disturbance did she cause) and they were using the piano I had used before I rented the present one. After all were gone I sat down and played myself. It was just as loud and shrill as it used to be. Then I saw the make: Bachmann.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

:lol: That's funny, Richard. I think I would have a pained look on my face too....

Well, at least you have done a service here on PS by dissuading people from buying a Bachmann piano. You never know who reads these threads and maybe you'll save someone some dough.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:28 pm 

I remember buying some sponge to put behind the piano. That way it was a little better. Its dynamic range goes from ff to fff and they keys offer a bit of resistance. What really gets me about so many uprights is that the lid projects a little over the keyboard when open. It makes playing at times awkward. Try playing Chopin's Etude in c minor op 10/12 and you will see what a mean. I was always afraid I would brake a finger.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

I could see why that would be a problem if the lid sticks out and over the keys a little. Especially if you are one of those players who likes to move your head forward and back or up and down. Clunk! :shock: (which actually I have seen and I was laughing for days afterwards.... :lol: )

I have seen some uprights where the lid is such that you lift it up a little and then slide it straight back so that it's all the way off the keys - liked tucked in under the music stand.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:08 am 

pianolady wrote:
:lol: That's funny, Richard. I think I would have a pained look on my face too....

Immediately after I showed her some Khvorostovsky on YouTube. That was better: she was applauding!

These pianos (mine included) have not only has this problem with the lid, but I also the stand on the lid, so when one lifts the hands of the keys... bump! And dropping the hand as the good teacher has taught is out. I have solved this problem by putting a stand higher up and folding the piano's.

How I look forward to moving soon and to get something better!