Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach - WTC Bk2 - BWV 875 - Prelude and Fugue re-record
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:43 pm 

Hi,

Here is my re-recorded Bach - WTC Bk2 - BWV 875 - Prelude and Fugue No.6 D minor.
I will post a video soon.

Again, thank you for all the helpful discussion on my last presentation of this piece.

-Kaila

Bach - Prelude & Fugue in D minor, BWV 875

youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QA1YnfVyOk (reposted)

Last edited by musicrecovery on Fri May 20, 2011 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Bach - WTC Bk2 - BWV 875 - Prelude and Fugue re-record
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:22 am 
Site Admin

Very nice and tasteful playing, with some beautiful details. Great sound.
The prelude has interesting dynamics, but I find it a bit clunky, the synchronization between the hands being a bit loose in places, and the 16ths sometimes too prominent. This one is tricky to play well. I often find the preludes much harder than the fugues.
The fugue I'd personally like with a bit more bite, it sounds just a tad sedate here. But it is nicely done, despite not having much dynamic contrast.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:20 am 

Hi Kaila,

This is a very enjoyable performance of this prelude and fugue. It shows that you have put a lot of thought into your interpretation.

(Now the shoe drops :wink: )

In the prelude, I would like to hear a little more clarity in the L.H. mordents in the beginning measures. Also, be sure that the first note of the mordent is as strong as or stronger than the other notes. A couple of times, the last note is getting more stress, almost giving the effect that it started before the beat. On a harpsichord or organ the notes would have been of equal strenght. The mordent allowed the creation of an accented stress where dynamics were not available.

As Chris noted, some of the rhtyhms could be a little crisper and more precise.

You have a good dynamic plan. I think that you just need to follow it with more conviction. Measure 46 in particular seems that you are unsure of how it fits -- is it part of the preceeding measures (from which the melodic figure derives) or part of the following measures? It seems a little undecided. [Wand Landowska gives a good example of conviction of interpretation. Speaking of Rosalyn Turek, she said, "She can play Bach her way. I'll play it his way."]

I like the feel of the fugue. Too me it is not too sedate. The descending chromatic figure is the Baroque "lament" motive. A possible interpretation that would give it a little more bite, as Chris noted, is to provide a little more contrast between the triplet figure and the lament motive. The triplet figure has the potential of being a little more dance-like (a gentle gigue perhaps) followed by the lament [laughing on the outside while crying on the inside.]

I would like to hear a little more rhythmic vitality in the dotted 8th - 16th bass figure in mm. 11 - 12 and other places. There it is a little difficult to discern the difference between the two lower voices.

One other thing, to me, the first 8th note "A" is the logical conclusion of the triplet figure with the lament beginning on the "&" of beat 3 so it should flow from there and not be overly stressed. The most noticeable point for me of this type of thing is from the last three 8th notes of measure 4 into the "A" of measure 5. This to me again is the logical conclusion of those 3 8ths, but it seems to boom out trying to be the beginning of the next figure, which seems to want to begin on the & of beat one.

Just some thoughts.

Scott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:05 am 
Site Admin

I've replaced this, Kaila.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:14 am 

Hi,

A performance video of my new Bach BWV875 WTCBk2 Prelude and Fugue No. 6 is up at youtube.

Kaila

Last edited by musicrecovery on Fri May 20, 2011 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:22 pm 

Hi Kaila,

I really like your performance. Great energy and clarity. Wonderful sound quality too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:38 am 

In-Flight Piano wrote:
Hi Kaila,
I really like your performance. Great energy and clarity. Wonderful sound quality too!

Samuel,

Thank you for your reply and thoughtful comments. My project manager Kb appreciates your
comment on the sound quality too.

regards,
Kaila (and Kb)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:18 am 

Hi Kaila,

I just listened to your prelude and fugue. I'm admittedly a Bach non-expert, nonetheless I very much enjoyed your performance here. It is clean, very well articulated and expressive too. Very fine playing in my humble opinion.

I'm envious that you have your own sound engineer. When I record I have to be the pianist, recording engineer, and page turner. I have it tough here! :lol: But speaking of sound, I also compliment you (and your sound engineer) on the wonderful sound of this recording.

David

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:17 pm 

Kaila, A totally mesmerizing performance ... to my 22-month-old grandson, Noah. :D He stopped everything and absolutely stared until the last chord and then he clapped and said "Yay!" Thanks for your videos!

Bringing up the next generation with PS!
Papa (pronounced "pah-paw") Eddy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:19 pm 

Rachfan wrote:
Hi Kaila,
I just listened to your prelude and fugue. I'm admittedly a Bach non-expert, nonetheless I very much enjoyed your performance here. It is clean, very well articulated and expressive too. Very fine playing in my humble opinion.

I'm envious that you have your own sound engineer. When I record I have to be the pianist, recording engineer, and page turner. I have it tough here! :lol: But speaking of sound, I also compliment you (and your sound engineer) on the wonderful sound of this recording.

David

Hello David,

Thank you for your kind words about my playing and our recording. Yes, I am blessed to have a sound engineer who is also my project manager.

My job as a public school music teacher to special needs learners with very involved disabilities has created an approach to music that is multi faceted.
It is very demanding and time consuming, The creation of specialneedsinmusic.com with my sound engineer project manager is my legacy.

Kaila

Last edited by musicrecovery on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:30 pm 

musical-md wrote:
Kaila, A totally mesmerizing performance ... to my 22-month-old grandson, Noah. :D He stopped everything and absolutely stared until the last chord and then he clapped and said "Yay!" Thanks for your videos!

Bringing up the next generation with PS!
Papa (pronounced "pah-paw") Eddy

Hi Eddy,
You truly made my day by telling me about Noah. I sent you a private message with some links
to my http://specialneedsinmusic.com/ website that your grandson might really enjoy.

Thanks so much,
Kaila

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:03 pm 

Hi Kaila, I haven't played much Bach, but one of the challenges of playing Bach is finding the music in all those notes. Your style and understanding renders great depth to the music. This was a fine and enjoyable performance.

Re: specialneedsinmusic.com - you've established a wonderful mission combining education, music, and kids with special needs. Can there be a more noble calling? It's great to hear about people who find greater meaning and purpose in their lives by following their hearts and not their pockets... You can't please everybody, but the few that you get through to, makes up for all the hard work and dedication. A day doesn't go by when I am not reminded of my music teacher especially when listening to familiar the pieces on the radio at the office. Good luck on your success, and may you continue to inspire those teens... :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:16 am 

Hello Kaila,
Congratulations for this beautiful set of Bach's pieces ! I have watched your video, and Youtube suggested to have a look on a 'Dorian improvisation' you performed. Quite nice and interesting for those who would like to improvise but who miss method or direction. Why not posting some improvisations on PS ? As you may know, there is an impro department in PS, but only two improvisers (to date) :cry: .
Best regards,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:56 pm 

Hi,

I must say I like a lot of thinks in the recording.
There are very interesting phrasings in the long middel part that repeats.
The ending of the prelude is fabulous.
It has been taken care of, that the parts that are repeating are not boring.
They are logicaly leaded to a sense.

But one question about one thing that bothers me a little bit.
The trills (triller? well whats the english word?) you play on a major second not on a minor second, almost all the way to the end.
Is it because you want to keep the natural minor?

Nice fugue, alot of thinking there over the piece.
I like that.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:01 am 

Hello George, Francois and Julian,

I would first like to apologize for taking so long to respond. I had major surgery and I'm behind in some correspondences.

George, I found your words about my life's work to be both emotionally and spiritually healing. I am trying to get the strength to go back to my classroom some time in June.Thank you for your kind words about my Bach interpretation.

Francois, thank you for your suggestion about posting my improvisation. I have one in d minor and a pentatonic one that I might audition. Thank you for your encouragement.

Julian, Much appreciation for your comments about my phrasing. I played the trills the way I have heard many other artists play the trills.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts about my performance.

Kaila Rochelle

My youtube video has been reposted because of a problem with the audio tracks.