Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: More Halffter
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:05 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9572
Location: Netherlands
Some more pieces by Ernesto Halffter.

E. Halffter - Llanto Por Ricardo Vines (4:31) (Thanks Richard !)
E. Halffter - Pregon (3:29)
E. Halffter - Habanera (4:04)

And a re-recording of the Serenade a Dulcinee. Not a lot different from the previous one, but I think it is marginally better even despite a couple of tiny slips which probably won't be noticed unless you have played the piece yourself.

E. Halffter - Serenade a Dulcinee (5:53)

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 1040
Goodness! I wish I could read a piece on Thurday evening and it recorded it by Sunday afternoon!

I shall listen.

_________________
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 am
Posts: 1250
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
Chris,
Regarding the Llanto for R.V., I just don't care for the music and stopped 1/3 of the way in.
Regarding Pregon, I like this very much! Please tell me it's in 5/8, because that what it sound like you're playing in. Nice character. I would wish for more melody (always :) )
Regarding the Habanera, as a Cuban-born American ...<clearing-throat sounds> I can tell you that you definitely have the spirit of it, but I really think it should go faster. This form was the ancestor of the Argentine Tango, so don't hold back. Your rendering sounds too tame for me.

Thanks for the recordings.

Regards.


Edit: Clarrified that I am an American of Cuban heritage.

_________________
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne


Last edited by musical-md on Mon May 09, 2011 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 737
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Similar comments to Eddy. I don't "get" the first piece at all. The second is harmonically quite interesting; in particular there are some nice sonorities near the start. I think the Habanera should be a little faster and with more swing. I think it's got a lot of potential as an encore piece. Where do you find these things? It's not on IMSLP.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:55 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8511
I think Hallfer has interesting harmonies - I wonder why I did not know about him before...
I liked "Habanera" the most. It sounds a lot like Albeniz' 'Tango' to me.
The Richard Vines one - again, really unusual chords here - sounds like he also had large hands.
The last one -neat sounds, but the piece seems to not know where it's going. Over all, nice playing - I enjoyed the music.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 1040
andrew wrote:
Similar comments to Eddy. I don't "get" the first piece at all. The second is harmonically quite interesting; in particular there are some nice sonorities near the start. I think the Habanera should be a little faster and with more swing. I think it's got a lot of potential as an encore piece. Where do you find these things? It's not on IMSLP.


Maybe he buys the printed scores in a music shop? I do believe they still exist, such shops. I was in one the other day, myself, because the scores online just were not of comparable quality and by the time you add connection costs, electricity, toner and all that...

_________________
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville


Last edited by richard66 on Mon May 09, 2011 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 1040
musical-md wrote:

Regarding the Habanera, as a Cuban-born American ...<clearing-throat sounds> I can tell you that you definitely have the spirit of it, but I really think it should go faster. This form was the ancestor of the Argentine Tango, so don't hold back. Your rendering sounds too tame for me.

Edit: Clarrified that I am an American of Cuban heritage.


Obama in mind, just be careful we do not ask to see your birth certificate! :D

_________________
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:36 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9572
Location: Netherlands
Thanks all for the comments.

I'm nonplussed about the negative reactions on the Llanto. I find this such an incredibly noble and deep piece. It is (I assume) an elegy or dirge on the death of Ricardo Vines, and for me it carries a palpable sense of loss and grief. True, I have a penchant for this kind of music, but I also think that musical tastes around here are rather conservative in that anything a bit unusual with a bit of dissonance is not appreciated.

So y'all think the Habanera should be faster. But actually it says In Tempo di Habanera, moderato assai, mm=58 to the quarter, which is exactly what I do.

Yes Dr. Eddy, the Pregon is in 5/8. It's actually subtitled 'Cuba'.

Apart from the Llanto, a copy of which I acquired only last week, these original scores have been in my large collection for a long time, probably 30 years or more. I used to buy a lot in the past.. I'd never really played them until about a month ago I suddenly fell in love with them :D

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 1040
techneut wrote:
Thanks all for the comments.

I'm nonplussed about the negative reactions on the Llanto. I find this such an incredibly noble and deep piece. It is (I assume) an elegy or dirge on the death of Ricardo Vines, and for me it carries a palpable sense of loss and grief. True, I have a penchant for this kind of music, but I also think that musical tastes around here are rather conservative in that anything a bit unusual with a bit of dissonance is not appreciated.

Indeed, llanto comes from the verb "to cry", so you are right: it is a dirge.
techneut wrote:
Apart from the Llanto, a copy of which I acquired only last week, these original scores have been in my large collection for a long time, probably 30 years or more. I used to buy a lot in the past.. I'd never really played them until about a month ago I suddenly fell in love with them :D

As I said...

_________________
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 am
Posts: 1250
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
Techneut wrote:
So y'all think the Habanera should be faster. But actually it says In Tempo di Habanera, moderato assai, mm=58 to the quarter, which is exactly what I do.

I would concentrate on the Moderato, and completely ignore the metronomic indication, which I always accept as only a suggestion, hoping to find what I and the music feel is the best expression: thus differing interpretations. :)

_________________
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:03 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9572
Location: Netherlands
musical-md wrote:
I would concentrate on the Moderato, and completely ignore the metronomic indication, which I always accept as only a suggestion, hoping to find what I and the music feel is the best expression: thus differing interpretations. :)

Hm. I have a tendency to respect the composer's metronome markings (unless of course it's too fast for me to play).
Then again Halffter was not a Cuban so what did he know :D

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 am
Posts: 1250
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
techneut wrote:
musical-md wrote:
I would concentrate on the Moderato, and completely ignore the metronomic indication, which I always accept as only a suggestion, hoping to find what I and the music feel is the best expression: thus differing interpretations. :)

Hm. I have a tendency to respect the composer's metronome markings (unless of course it's too fast for me to play).
Then again Halffter was not a Cuban so what did he know :D

Johannes Brahms said: "I am of the opinion that metronome marks go for nothing. As far as I know, all composers have, as I, retracted their metronome marks in later years."[Essentials of Music, READ BOOKS, 2008; ISBN 1443773697] :shock:

_________________
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:44 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9572
Location: Netherlands
musical-md wrote:
Johannes Brahms said: "I am of the opinion that metronome marks go for nothing. As far as I know, all composers have, as I, retracted their metronome marks in later years."[Essentials of Music, READ BOOKS, 2008; ISBN 1443773697] :shock:

OMG... Can't argue with people quoting scripture :P

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 am
Posts: 1250
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
:lol: :lol:

_________________
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: More Halffter
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:48 pm
Posts: 2000
Location: U.S.A.
Hi Chris,

I listened to all three of the Halffter pieces. I believe you played them all very well. The "Llanto" certainly has obvious merit, but might be one of those pieces that bears a few hearings before one acclimates to it. The "Pregon" was my favorite--I like all the sassy dissonances there. It's a very attractive salon piece in the best sense of the term. The "Habenera" is a laid back piece that immediately ingratiates itself to the listener. In all of this music there are some very colorful harmonies that put a dash of modernism on this very tonal and melodic music.

David

_________________
"Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities." David April


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group