Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chopin - Impromptu No. 1
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Hye-Jin. Thank you for listening/commenting. I have played the mazurka for a long time, but not the impromptu. Although, I did have to work hard on it, because there really are a couple tricky spots. I know exactly which phrases you are talking about that aren't as smooth as they should be. It's all because of the 'club' - our 'Pianists with Small Pinkies" club. I couldn't reach those places and to jump around a lot. Supposedly, Chopin had rubber fingers and could reach these places with no problem. I wish I could get some of that rubber!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 pm 

Monica wrote:
It's all because of the 'club' - our 'Pianists with Small Pinkies" club.

:lol: Then I withdraw my "two cents"! There seems to be things which cannot solved by our small hands :evil:
Did you perhaps see the thread titled with "Help!!! (Brahms op.120-2)" on the "Technique" forum which I opened? It's about the problem of that "club" and I was very surprised at the commiserations from other members (I attached pics of my RH struggling with large chords there) :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:02 am 

Hi Monica,

I listened to the Impromptu and believe you produced a fine rendition there. Your articulation seems flawless, you bring a wonderful fluidity to the music, and you had a good control of dynamics too. You brought out the playfulness of this music very well. Very nice!

Chopin's dance forms don't appeal to me as much, so I didn't get to the mazurka yet... although tonight I posted Ravel's take on Borodin's "Polovetzian Dances". OK, don't even think about asking me to explain myself on that one! :lol:

David

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hi again, David.
That's okay, at least you bothered to listen to one of these recordings. And that you take a moment to comment means much to me. Thank you! :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:26 pm 

Hi Monica, I listened to the Impromptu as I used to play it a long time ago. It's clear and precise, though there are points where I would opt for a bit more in the way of dynamic (and hopefully emotional) expansiveness, in particular in the middle section. Sometimes I think it's perhaps a little metronomic and more rubato would help: an impromptu is originally in sense an improvisation. In no way is it a bad recording; it's well presented and professional, I personally would play it in a freer manner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:44 am 
Site Admin

Hi Andrew. Thank you for the feedback. I didn't understand about the middle part before when I recorded this. But thanks to you and some others here, now I know and have marked it in my score for future re-record. Thanks again! :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:20 am 

Hi Monica,

This mazurka is one of the more popular ones in Chopin's collection. You execute all of Chopin's "detail work" in the right hand crisply and fit it all into the melodic line accurately and smoothly making it sound effortless. A fine performance!

David

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi David. Wow....you listened to my mazurka! Are you sick or something? :lol:
Seriously, thank you very much! You just made my Monday a little better. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:32 pm 

Hi Monica,

I was familiar with the mazurka, knew it was a fairly short one, and that you would likely play it quite well. :wink: I was right. Trying to get that characteristic rhythm just right would be difficult, so I stay clear of them leaving them all to you. :lol: I love the preludes, etudes, nocturnes, ballades, scherzos, and polonaises but have never taken a shine to those mazurkas.

David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:07 am 

Hi, Monica!

I've been thinking in recording all the four impromptus. But I've only been thinking. Too lazy for that! :D

I don't have much time, so I listened only to your impromtu. I'm very impressed! It sounds really nice, spontaneous and vivacious.
Thanks for keeping the correct strong beat at 46'' (most recordings make the strong beat disappear).

I'd say only that the middle section is maybe too straight, and sounds less of what I'm used to hear from Chopin. Can't say what it is exactly (maybe a darker atmosphere, don't know). Same for the coda.

Nice recording!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

felipesarro wrote:
Hi, Monica!

I've been thinking in recording all the four impromptus. But I've only been thinking. Too lazy for that! :D

I don't have much time, so I listened only to your impromtu. I'm very impressed! It sounds really nice, spontaneous and vivacious.
Thanks for keeping the correct strong beat at 46'' (most recordings make the strong beat disappear).

I'd say only that the middle section is maybe too straight, and sounds less of what I'm used to hear from Chopin. Can't say what it is exactly (maybe a darker atmosphere, don't know). Same for the coda.

Nice recording!

You mean you are not at the beach? :wink:

Thank you for listening, Felipe. :D I am also too lazy to learn the other three Impromptus....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:25 am 

Hi Monica! Nicely played !
@ Impromptu: I think, you could be more free in the expression.

I really enjoyed the recordings.

Jana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

Jana Marinova wrote:
Hi Monica! Nicely played !
@ Impromptu: I think, you could be more free in the expression.

I really enjoyed the recordings.

Jana

Thank you for listening and commenting, Jana! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:22 pm 

Hi Monica, very nice indeed! Some have remarked where some passages are not as smooth. I haven't learned this piece, but like many other Chopin pieces it's difficult to play legato with fluidity and make all the parts fit seamlessly to tempo. Don't harp on the small pinkie syndrome - you're not the only one.

A piece like this really depends on the action of the piano and a légère style of legato. Just like Chopin's fingers, if the action is supple, it will reward you. If the action is not totally responsive, playing such a piece smoothly is more awkward and requires more effort. More effort leads to tightening of the wrists, and that in turn leads to jerky movements. I remember on my parents Bradbury while growing up, the action was stiff, and it would be next to impossible to play a piece like this and have all the passages come together smoothly.

You are at the point where with a little more playing the fluidity will come in time. These kind of pieces demand continual performance to have it sound fresh and legato. Now that you've recorded the piece and there's no more pressure, I bet you a trip to Paris that you'll be the queen of legato with this piece if you keep on playing it...

Nonetheless, a beautiful recording of a delightful Impromptu! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

88man wrote:
Hi Monica, very nice indeed! Some have remarked where some passages are not as smooth. I haven't learned this piece, but like many other Chopin pieces it's difficult to play legato with fluidity and make all the parts fit seamlessly to tempo. Don't harp on the small pinkie syndrome - you're not the only one.

But I gotta harp on something! :lol:

88man wrote:
You are at the point where with a little more playing the fluidity will come in time. These kind of pieces demand continual performance to have it sound fresh and legato. Now that you've recorded the piece and there's no more pressure, I bet you a trip to Paris that you'll be the queen of legato with this piece if you keep on playing it...

You know...my Paris trip is still on for next year. If I could get you to pay for it, that would be terrific! :D Okay....I'll keep practicing... :lol:

Quote:
Nonetheless, a beautiful recording of a delightful Impromptu! :D

Thank you, George. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next