Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Rachmaninoff, "Melodie", Op. 3, No. 3 (1940 revision)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:42 pm 

I almost got AVS once, but I did not like their sneaky policy. First they tell you dowload is free and all that and only after do they tell you that all you have is a demonstration programme and that if you fork out so much...

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:07 pm 

Hi Richard,

I cannot disagree with you there. The only reason I got AVS is that when I replaced my PC, Windows 7 will not deal with old programs, and I had AVS running for years previously. So yes, I downloaded the new freebee only to find, of course, that it was a demo version. But where I was used to it, I begrudgingly paid the fee. My understanding though is that once you do that and gain a "key", you can then download ALL of their software offerings for no further charge, including later updates and upgrades.

Any editor program is wasted on me, as I know very little about editing jargon and what the multitude of features do. My main use previously had been to adjust the volume on my recordings, but then I went to the source and adjusted the input volume on my recorder--problem solved. So now AVS stands in reserve for any really horrific page turn. Oh, I did once eliminate some A/C noise from a recording, nearly forgot that one. That's it for me when it comes to editing. A lot of people here use "normalizing", but I've read about it and there seem to be as many cons as pros with that function. Plus my mics are great with more than ample headroom. I tried that feature a couple of times and didn't like the sound as much as the original recording, so I avoid it. I do have the free Audacity here, but for the little editing I need, it doesn't seem as good as AVS with which I'm more comfortable.

David

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:20 pm 

Hello David,

I have come across the revised version of the melodie. It is unrecognisable, almost a new composition! I see he also reworked the Serenade from that collection and have come across both versions of both the 1st piano concerto and of the 2nd piano sonata.

Since you like Russian piano music, do take a look here:

http://www.piano.ru/rus.html

There are loads of scores by Russian composers, but beware that this site vanishes after a time, usually May, only to come back after the new year. Do not worry if you cannot read anything, just go clicking and see what happens. For example, here is Liadov:

http://www.piano.ru/liadov.html

Catoire:

http://www.piano.ru/cat.html

Rachmnaninoff:

http://www.piano.ru/rah.html

His sonata No 2:

http://www.piano.ru/scores/rahmaninov/p ... -son-1.pdf

The revision:

http://www.piano.ru/scores/rahmaninov/p ... -son-2.pdf

And so on.

I might not mind paying a fee, but I feel it must be made clear from the very start. As for Audacity, except for cutting out strange noises, gluing together broken recordings, balancing the channels (my MP3 recorder does not always record left and right channel at the same level) and tranforming MP3s into WAV, I find it of limited use. However, I have managed to use it to refurbish some of my CDs that had gone awry and results are very satisfactory. I also used it to transfer my tape collection on to CD.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:20 pm 

Hi Richard,

I'm glad you looked at the two "Melodie" scores--yes, they are night and day! Once someone were to plays the 1940, I believe they would have no interest at all in playing the 1892. I think the revision is a huge improvement. It surprises me though that so few pianists know that it even exists.

Thanks for mentioning the Russian scores site. Yes, I've had that piano.ru/rus in my bookmarks for a few years now. I think the sources of their scores are the same as the IMLSP. For example, in Catoire's "Elegy" for violin and piano, page three is upside down at both websites. :lol: I'll have to compare the two sites for Liadov pieces to see if there are some pieces at one site but not the other.

For Rachmaninoff's Second Sonata I have the Boosey & Hawkes edition with the 1913 and 1931 versions back to back which is really neat for making comparisons.

Rachmaninoff's favorite concerto was his No. 1. He was always disappointed that so few artists played it. The same holds true today unfortunately. I like it a lot. The very long ending is a bit overblown. But aside from that it's masterful. I love the middle lyrical movement--gorgeous! I have a subsection of concerto scores here. Years back, I used to doodle around by playing favorite excerpts from them. But with my recording projects now, I don't have any time for that it seems. No more doodling around!

David