Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Brahms and Khacahturian
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:25 pm 

Here I'm after a (long) while :)

Two new tracks that I've recorded in March...
Slowly I'll put more on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SqRzYD5Ssw Brahms op.118 n.2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcJOmm-p74&feature=related Khachaturian Toccata

Enjoy

Mauro Bertoli
http://www.maurobertoli.com

Post subject: Re: Brahms and Khacahturian
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:09 am 

Mauro.
I listened to both works and enjoyed them very much. In both works you demonstrated excellent tonal control with beautiful voicing and color thoughout. In the Brahms, I would say that I personally found the A sections too gentle and understated for my taste, but beautiful nontheless. The B section was everything one would hope for! If I have any legitimate critique, it would be that you missed the voicing of the c# 6 & 3-melody-notes before the start of the B section (caught too much E, especially the first one). The Toccata was again all that one would hope for in an exemplary rendition of this work. I expected to see video with the link to YouTube, but it was a pleasure listening. Thank you very much.

Best wishes,
Eddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:44 am 

Thanks for your comments Eddy :)
I would love to have a video of those pieces, but actually I don't have right now!
There is an "old" video of brahms intermezzo played by me 3 years ago. The recording is not professional, and the sound not so beautiful.
But should I have in future, then I will post.
Best to you too!
Mauro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:05 am 

Mauro,

Those were both wonderful performances.

In the Brahms, I rather enjoyed the "laid back" feeling of the beginning. It gave me a sense of remeniscence, as if looking through an old photo album full of fond memories. The B section then offered a wonderful build up, with a bit of turmoil among those memories. You also had fine control over those rich bass harmonies that can often get booming and overpowering, particularly in recordings.

I enjoyed you Toccata. You built quite a pallet of colors through your varying attacks and articulations, your use of dynamics and pedal. You had moments where the piano expressed itself as the percussion instrument that it is without being percussive (if that makes any sense). The piece sounds like it has a lot of different colors and textures (percussion battery, impressionist moments, "machine age" automation type sounds) with sometimes sudden changes from one to another. It would be easy for all of these different sounds to lack cohesiveness as part of a single piece and seem rather random.

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:02 am 

Hi Mauro,

The Brahms and Khachaturian are both splendid performances. I would rank them very high among the performances I have heard over the years. Your playing is most artistic. Bravo!

David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:58 pm 

David and Scott, thanks to you both for the comments