Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Composer biographies
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:23 pm 

In the end it does not seem so long after all. I suppose removng some paragraph marks did the trick! I meant to edit the picture, but you have done it exaclty how I would have done it, so thank you! Just a question, why did you change the spellings of organise and realise to organize and realize?

I mention Rebikov and what should happen the very same day? I find a score written by Rebikov and dedicated to Oswald!

I shall now go to work on Vaughan Williams.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
In the end it does not seem so long after all. I suppose removng some paragraph marks did the trick! I meant to edit the picture, but you have done it exaclty how I would have done it, so thank you! Just a question, why did you change the spellings of organise and realise to organize and realize?

Because my browser's spelling checker suggested so :)
But I was assuming my browser would use the European locale (because it knows damn well where I live). Not so apparently :x
So I've changed it the wrong way....

richard66 wrote:
I mention Rebikov and what should happen the very same day? I find a score written by Rebikov and dedicated to Oswald!

You'll have to record that now. I've never heard anything by Rebikov, shame on me.

richard66 wrote:
I shall now go to work on Vaughan Williams.

Cool ! One of my favorite composers. Be sure to mention his mighty symphonies and other symphonic and choral works.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:10 pm 

I have lots of things I want to record, but at present... We have workmen drilling on the ground floor and my daughter is apt to go behind the piano and start singing or comes or comes and plays. While this might be fun, I am sure you will not put any such recordings up and I will not blame you either.

Of course, the nine symphonies and the g mass, which I enjoy a lot, will get mentioned!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:20 pm 

May I be a nity-picker too, Chris? Could you change one little word on first paragraph of the biography of Oswald?

Where it reads:

Though considered a Brazilian composer, Oswald was of European stock and spent the better part of his life in Europe, his music fitting perfectly into the Franco-German Romantic tradition. He was born in Rio de Janeiro in 1852, the son of a Swiss-German father (originally Oshwald) and of a mother from Leghorn, ITALY. Both were musicians, his mother being the child’s first teacher.

could it read:

Though considered a Brazilian composer, Oswald was of European stock and spent the better part of his life in Europe, his music fitting perfectly into the Franco-German Romantic tradition. He was born in Rio de Janeiro in 1852, the son of a Swiss-German father (originally Oshwald) and of a mother from Leghorn, TUSCANY. Both were musicians, his mother being the child’s first teacher.

?

In fact, when the mother was born Tuscany was a sovereign state.

Is anyone working on Stanchinsky?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

Ah sure, it is important that we be politically and historically correct :D
I have also taken the liberty to replace Leghorn by Livorno. Or is there good reason to use the non-Italian name ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:09 pm 

Well, Leghorn is the name of the city in English and it does make me look as if I did not know that. The same as Isay The Hague and not Den Haag and Florence and not Firenze.

Look at it this way: when a place is important it has names in different languages and Leghorn is historically very important.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:21 pm 

From Wikipedia:

Livorno About this sound listen (help·info) (Italian pronunciation: [liˈvorno]),

traditionally called Leghorn (English pronunciation: /ˈlɛɡhɔrn/) in English,

is a port city on the Ligurian Sea on the western edge of Tuscany, Italy. It is the capital of the Province of Livorno, having a population of approximately 160,000 residents in 2009. The second-largest port on the western coast of Italy, Livorno supports substantial cruise-ship tourism to Florence and other destinations in Tuscany and Umbria.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Ok, I may as well use both names, for those who may not know that Leghorn and Livorno are the same place.
I thought actually it was the German name :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:40 am 

I once worked for an import-export company which shipped thriught that very city. All my e-mails went out saying "Leghorn". I realise this is not PC, but while I do do my best to be historically correct and I never knowingly wish to give offense I do not care a hoot for being politically correct. I shall probably end up being shot one of these days for it.

As I asked befere, is anyone working on Stanchinsky's biography?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:41 am 

THROUGH I meant!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:43 am 
Site Admin

richard66 wrote:
As I asked befere, is anyone working on Stanchinsky's biography?

I think you can safely assume nobody is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:36 pm 

I will do it. Expect it later on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:47 pm 

Here it is:

Alexey Stanchinsky (1888-1914)

Alexey Vladimirovich Stanchinsky was born in Obolsounovo a small town in the Governorate of Vladimir.

He began his studies early and at the age of six he was already composing. In 1899 his family moved to Logachevo, near Smolensk, where the child was exposed to folk songs, possibly the very same ones that had inspired Glinka many decades before. From 1904 Stanchinsky visited Moscow regularly, being a private pupil of Josef Lhévinne while taking composition classes with Gretchaninov. It was the latter who introduced the boy to Taneyev. In 1907 he entered his composition classes at the Moscow Conservatoire.

The death in 1908 of Vladimir Stanchinsky, the young man’s father, was to have a profound impact on his mental health, being confined to a lunatic’s asylum for a year.

Though pronounced incurable he made a comeback and by 1910 was collecting folk songs in the vicinity of Smolensk.

In 1914 he gave his only recital, which was very well received by the critics, who saw in him the makings of a great composer, a promise which was to remain unfulfilled: later in the year he was found dead near a stream at a friend’s family’s estate, a death that up to now remains unexplained.

Almost all his music, apart from a song cycle after poems by Robert Burns and some chamber works, all his music was written for the piano. None of these were published during his lifetime, the fist editions dating from the 1930s.

His main influence was Skryabin, to whom he owes the use of expanded tonality, though he never quite arrived at the latter’s near atonality, leaving, for example, a prelude in the Lydian mode. He wrote three piano sonatas (the earlier one in one movement), etudes, preludes, Mazurkas and a Nocturne, besides a piano trio.

Eddy will like this one: Lhévinne was Stanchinsky's teacher!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

While being grateful for any missing biographies being provided by members, I find that I'm evaluating them much like I evaluate recordings :roll:
Maybe it should not be like that.... but quality of writing is as important as quality of playing.
Not that this is bad, but I'd like you to re-read it and correct some issues like duplicate words and missing punctuation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:23 pm 

Indeed. I write the phrase and it is good. Then I change something and there... Duplicate words. I shall look into this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next