Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: F. Chopin Nocturne op.48/1
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:28 pm 

Hello,

this recording was made 2004.
Since then I have played it quite often in concerts, but never recorded it again.
Is PS not a great idea. I enjoy listening to the wonderfull musicians here.

Pianist: Julian Gorus
Instrument: Steinway D

Chopin - Nocturne Op.48 No.1 in C minor (6:23)

Post subject: Re: F. Chopin Nocturne op.48/1
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:47 pm 

Wow, what a fantastic performance! I hope you will follow Monica's advice on file size and such (in your Liszt thread), because it would be a shame to miss out on your recordings. There are a couple of points in this one I would have interpreted differently, but no one cares about that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:20 am 

Hello,

thank you for your nice reply. Is it not great that there are so many possibilities to play one piece of music?
Each interpretation is something special and that makes it so exciting.

I will try to find a way to convert the pieces, that can´t be that hard I hope.
I also read that recordings should have prevereble a newer date.
By the way my english is not the best :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:58 am 

I think that if you read between the lines of Monica's post you'll see that she feels obligated to inform you of the fact that newer recordings are generally preferred, but she listened and she thinks the high quality of your performance(s) probably merits a bending of the rules in this case (or more accurately, she pointed out that they are not 'terribly old' recordings anyway). But she's not going to convert your files for you. :wink:

Last edited by Terez on Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:04 am 

Hi Julian,

I very much enjoyed listening to your Chopin and Liszt pieces. These pieces were played with poetry and marvelous virtuosity too.

Welcome to Piano Society!

David

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:28 am 

Hello Julian,
Your Chopin was excellent! Beautifully voiced and artistically controlled. Thank you for your post and welcome to PS. I look forward to your future posts. Don't you find this Nocturne to be strongly influenced by Liszt? I feel it is.
Best Wishes,
Eddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:11 pm 

Absolutely fabulous performance both musically and technically! One of the best performances of this nocturne I've ever heard (up there IMO with Sofronitsky and Hofmann). With playing like this, people should be wondering why a limp noodle like Pollini even exists. Exquisite phrasing and dynamics in the outer sections, great control and tension in the octaves middle section, deft orchestration and finger independence in the ending recapitulation of the theme. Extraordinary! And this coming from a normally hypercritical SOB :P

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:27 pm 

This is the most moving performance of this nocturne I have ever heard!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

Fantastic playing indeed, well in the luxury class and as good a recording of this Nocturne as they come. The only thing I'd have wished for is a little more clarity in the LH, it sounds a bit mushy at times which is probably the recording and reverb more than your playing. I wonder why in some of the argeggios you play the top chord before the arpeggio ? It seemed a bit inconsistent but could be you have a good reason for it.

We are not too worried about hosting some not-quite-recent recordings, especially not when they are this good. What we are a bit wary of is pianists who only come here to have a page created with 2 or 3 selected recordings from their archive, and then are never seen again. So we ask every new pianist if they intend to be a regular contributor, both in terms of submitting (new) recordings and taking part in discussions and giving feedback. If they do not intend to, there is little point in joining the site. So please let us know your plans !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:10 pm 

Thank you for all the positive voices you gave me.
I am very often on concert tour, and I do not have so much time, but i do not just wan`t to post my music.
I enjoy taking part in the writing and hearing activity on this site and I will do so as often as my time lets me.
Also I will try to do my best with my english.
The reason why I post a little bit older pieces is that I recently do not have time to make an more :?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:29 pm 

musical-md wrote:
Hello Julian,
Your Chopin was excellent! Beautifully voiced and artistically controlled. Thank you for your post and welcome to PS. I look forward to your future posts. Don't you find this Nocturne to be strongly influenced by Liszt? I feel it is.
Best Wishes,
Eddy

Hi Eddy,

thanks, recording this peace was a real enjoyment.
I think that Chopin was influenced a lot by Liszt.
I find both Componist fantastic, but I just recorded Liszt Anneé de Pelerinage, so I spent the last 2 years with Liszt and neglected Chopin a little bit.
And look at the Sonata in b flat minor or the octave etude op.25 no.10 from Chopin as an example. A lot of Liszt influence there too.

Best Wishes
Julian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Julian G. wrote:
Thank you for all the positive voices you gave me.
I am very often on concert tour, and I do not have so much time, but i do not just wan`t to post my music.
I enjoy taking part in the writing and hearing activity on this site and I will do so as often as my time lets me.
Also I will try to do my best with my english.
The reason why I post a little bit older pieces is that I recently do not have time to make an more :?

Ok, sounds good. Your English is not so bad, but you might actually improve it a lot by reading and posting here :!:

Now, you wrote a little about yourself, but we will need somewhat more to fill your page. So please provide some
sort of biography (we will correct any language mistakes, don't worry) and a photo you want on the site.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:46 am 

Thanks Julian for sharing this fine recording, I enjoyed it very much. I haven't heard this nocturne for some years. In Australia it used to be very popular but then seemed to "disappear". It's strange how pieces go in and out of fashion sometimes.

techneut wrote:
I wonder why in some of the argeggios you play the top chord before the arpeggio ? It seemed a bit inconsistent but could be you have a good reason for it.

The reason, I think, is that it makes it possible to change the pedal cleanly without leaving a gap in the melody. If you play the melody note after the arpeggio then you have to choose whether to change pedal with the bass or with the melody; the first way will leave gaps, the second way will blur the harmonies. The middle section of this nocturne is a huge challenge to pedal well on a modern piano, especially on a concert size instrument.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, your bio and this recording are up on the site. Please check if all is ok.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:11 am 

Julian,

That is exquisite. The best word that I can think of is "organic". It is not you interpreting Chopin, but rather this piece by Chopin is originating from your sould and heart.

I really look forward to hearing more of your performances.

(Damn, no I have to go practice) :mrgreen:

BTW, your English is just fine. So you type with an accent. I've known plenty of people for whom English is their only language who can't speak it as well as you.

Scott