Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:03 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8480
I attended her concert in Chicago today. First off, she is the youngest of the touring concert-pianists I have seen play! She's only 24 years old and with sort of a punky-style haircut and probably weighs no more than 100 pounds. She looked like a little pixie, like a young girl. But look out boys, because this girl can play!

Her programs was as follows:

- Rachmaninov - Variations on a Theme of Corelli, Op. 42
- Schubert - Piano Sonata in C Minor D.958
- Scriabin - Preludes Op. 11, nos. 11 and 12; Prelude Op. 13, no. 6; Etude Op. 8, no. 9; Poem Op. 32, no. 1
- Mussorgsky (arr. Chernov) - Night on Bald Mountain
- Mendelssohn (arr. Rachmaninov) - Scherzo from A Midsummer Night's Dream
- Saint-Saens (arr. Horowitz, after Liszt) - Danse Macabre, Op. 40

I'll just say that she has such fantastic technique and control of her tone. Her pianissimos were so soft I could hardly hear the music. Maybe her loudest parts could be a little bit louder, but mostly she could get a big sound when needed.

Regarding the pieces, the ones that made the most impression on me were the last three. OMG, that 'Night on Bald Mountain' was incredible! Just stunning!! I've never seen someone's hands move so fast!!! Really neat music too. Although from I understand, it's not completely Mussorgsky's, because Rimsky-Korsakov often edited Mussorgsky's compositions to make them flow better. This piece was originally an orchestral piece but Rimsky-Korsokov had to do quite a lot editing to make it into something presentable. Then a man by the name of Konstantin Chernov transcribed the piece to piano. Again, it is a really cool piece!

I love Rachmaninov's arrangement of Mendelssohn's 'Scherzo'. I like it even better than Mendelssohn's orchestral/original version. Wang played it as perfect as could be - very light and quick. I practiced this piece a long time ago but never finished it. Maybe one day I'll put it back on my piano. Then came 'Danse Macabre'. Again, another 'wow' piece! Funny how Saint-Saens wrote the piece as a symphonic poem - then Liszt made it into a flamboyant piano version, which we all know means that he added tons of virtuosic flourishes. But even that wasn't enough for Horowitz who embellished the piece even more and it became one of his trademark showpieces.

Wang played three encores, the first one I did not know. The second one was Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca but it was one of those super-duper, pimped-up versions. I don't know who arranged it, but it sure had wow-factor! Her third piece I actually know very well because I'm practicing it myself. It's a real pretty piece by Gluck called "Melody from Orpheus". Very sad and beautiful.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 727
Location: Edinburgh, UK
pianolady wrote:
Wang played three encores, the first one I did not know. The second one was Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca but it was one of those super-duper, pimped-up versions. I don't know who arranged it, but it sure had wow-factor!


It would have been the Volodos arrangement.

I'm not completely convinced by her but her technique is certainly impressive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:08 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8480
andrew wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Wang played three encores, the first one I did not know. The second one was Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca but it was one of those super-duper, pimped-up versions. I don't know who arranged it, but it sure had wow-factor!


It would have been the Volodos arrangement.


Thanks for the info, Andrew. I thought maybe there are more pimped-up versions of Alla Turca, because I've heard it also played as one hand playing Alla Turca and the other hand playing Chopin's 'Winter Wind' etude at the same time. Talk about mind-boggling!! And IIRC, there's also a version with one person playing three different pieces, including Alla Turca at the same time. Beyond mind-boggling.... :roll:

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 1040
This is all very well as circus fare, but is it music?

_________________
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:38 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9534
Location: Netherlands
richard66 wrote:
This is all very well as circus fare, but is it music?

I would say no. In fact I positively hate this kind of mindless bravura, only meant to show-case your technique
and mind-boggle the audience. I'd have thought (hoped) Wang's musical taste was better than that.

I don't mind ultra-virtuosity if it is backed up by adequate musical substance and intellectual interest, like
e.g. Hamelin's triple Chopin Etude. Just packing as many gimmicks as possible into a silly little tune, just
because you can, is IMO not what music is about.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 1040
I would go further and say that virtuosity is only justified when the result is great music. If were ever I become a virtuoso (which is highly unlikely) I would rather no one noticed it, except for another pianist who knows the work being performed. After all, it is the music that matters.

It brings to mind when I took lessons and such tricks, like lifting the hand a foot in the air after striking a note or leaping with one hand while the other stood idle, merited a r symbolic rap on the head.

_________________
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:05 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9534
Location: Netherlands
Yes, the finest virtuosos are those who do not feel the need to show off.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:32 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8480
I know what you guys are saying, but I’ve been to a lot of concerts and enjoy these ‘showy’ pieces. Maybe because I’m actually watching a live person - it is amazing to witness such high technical skill close-up! And Wang’s showy pieces in this concert were played perfectly, IMO. Especially the Mussorsky and Saint-Saens. Not a wrong note or slip-up, and very musically-played. I doubt any of you here would have been any less amazed than I was by her performance.

As far as programming these kinds of pieces in a concert, I can only say that I’ve been near to actually falling asleep in concerts that did not include these types of exciting pieces. In particular, Schiff has put me to sleep every time I’ve seen him in concert because all he plays is traditional Beethoven, Schumann, Bach, etc…. I’m not saying that he did or does not play this music very well; it’s just that a whole two hours of it gets boring. If he would have played just one ‘showy’ piece for an encore, I would have a different opinion about him. Every concert-pianist should always include a showy piece if they want their audience to go away with not only a favorable impression, but an impression that lasts!

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:42 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9534
Location: Netherlands
Oh yes, a recital needs some fireworks alright. I can well imagine Schiff's recitals being a bit boring with all the Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Schubert.
Now, as Wang has recorded some stuff like Ravel's la Valse, Stravinsky's Petrouchka and Ligeti's Etudes, she could have chosen something that was both exhilarating AND musically interesting. Even if it was only the Islamey or some other old warhorse.

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 301
I get the impression that Wang has a lot of music-making potential, but it might take a little maturity for her to want to fully employ it. She still mostly enjoys the thrill of lightning fingers, which she indeed has. :shock: At least, that's my 2-cent take... I am interested to see how she grows, and I believe she can mature to be something really wonderful!

And now that I know that I am the same age as Wang... well, it makes me sober up very quickly to a starkly realistic view of my own meager piano skills. :wink:

_________________
Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 am
Posts: 1250
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
Just saw her playing the Alla Turka on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1fgo7hp ... re=related

A. She's very pretty :wink:
B. She's very prodigious in her technical prowess
C. IMO, she will follow in the catagory of Argerich and Berman
D. Hearing her play the Chopin Polonaise-Fantasie Op.61, I hear a mature, artistic and elegant performance with technique subservient to and serving of the music.
E. I would love to hear her play the Schulz-Evler arrangement of Straus's The Blue Danube Waltz, that no one can touch when compared to J. Lhevinne (even J. Bolet), but she may do it great justice.
F. An observation (perhaps controversial): I find her technique to be peculiarly "un-oriental" and western in it's shape of the hand. What I mean, is that I have found most pianists trained in China, Japan and Korea to have a very low (flat) hand when playing chords and especially octaves, where those trained in more German and Russian schools of technique have an arched hand for same. In this way, her technique is more "western."

I think she is right were she should be for a young prodigious pianist.

_________________
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 1040
I agree with you there, Monica. Where I live whenever a pianist comes along, say Perahia, what is the Programme? Never a mixed one! No no no!! Not Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and a little Schumann, as it was in days of yore, but if it is Mozart, it must be an all Mozart concert and in order of K's: Sonatas K 330, 331 and 332, interval, Sonatas K 334, 335 and 336, and as an encore the Fantasia in c major. (Yes, I know those K's do not correspond to sonatas, but I give but an example).

It reminds me of my father's comments when seeing that some pianist or another was playing all of Chopin's 25 preludes: "Now, imagine losing count at Prelude 5".

For myself I can say I like Bortkiewicz and I like his Lamentations and Consolations, but when I tried listening to the complete set... My, how I was bored by the time they finally finished.

It is the ecyclopaedic approach to music.

_________________
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm
Posts: 1040
musical-md wrote:
Just saw her playing the Alla Turka on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1fgo7hp ... re=related

A. She's very pretty :wink:
B. She's very prodigious in her technical prowess
C. IMO, she will follow in the catagory of Argerich and Berman
D. Hearing her play the Chopin Polonaise-Fantasie Op.61, I hear a mature, artistic and elegant performance with technique subservient to and serving of the music.
E. I would love to hear her play the Schulz-Evler arrangement of Straus's The Blue Danube Waltz, that no one can touch when compared to J. Lhevinne (even J. Bolet), but she may do it great justice.
F. An observation (perhaps controversial): I find her technique to be peculiarly "un-oriental" and western in it's shape of the hand. What I mean, is that I have found most pianists trained in China, Japan and Korea to have a very low (flat) hand when playing chords and especially octaves, where those trained in more German and Russian schools of technique have an arched hand for same. In this way, her technique is more "western."

I think she is right were she should be for a young prodigious pianist.


I have just seen that video. It is a perfect example of a piece that could well remain unwritten.

_________________
Richard Willmer
"Please do not shoot the pianist
He is doing his best."
Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 am
Posts: 1250
Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA
richard66 wrote:
I agree with you there, Monica. Where I live whenever a pianist comes along, say Perahia, what is the Programme? Never a mixed one! No no no!! Not Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and a little Schumann, as it was in days of yore, but if it is Mozart, it must be an all Mozart concert and in order of K's: Sonatas K 330, 331 and 332, interval, Sonatas K 334, 335 and 336, and as an encore the Fantasia in c major. (Yes, I know those K's do not correspond to sonatas, but I give but an example).

It reminds me of my father's comments when seeing that some pianist or another was playing all of Chopin's 25 preludes: "Now, imagine losing count at Prelude 5".

For myself I can say I like Bortkiewicz and I like his Lamentations and Consolations, but when I tried listening to the complete set... My, how I was bored by the time they finally finished.

It is the ecyclopaedic approach to music.


I agree with you here Richard. One of the pianists I studied with was a "genre" specialist. He performed the Chopin 24 Etudes for his Bachelor's Recital. Since then he would often perform all the Etudes of Chopin, all the Preludes of Debussy, all the Chopin Scherzos, all the Chopin Ballades, etc. There is truth to the phrase, "Too much of a good thing."

_________________
Eddy M. del Rio, MD
"A smattering will not do. They must know all the keys, major and minor, and they must literally 'know them backwards.'" - Josef Lhevinne


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Yuja Wang
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:11 am
Posts: 727
Location: Edinburgh, UK
This is much harder than the Volodos alla turca (which is imo quite playable).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl5lf_Nx ... re=related

It's very impressive that she (or anyone else for that matter) can play this; however I don't think it's nearly as good as the original recording (she misses out a small section as well, but that's quibbling).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group