Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Antonio Soler 3 Sonatas
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:47 pm 

Hi everybody !

I'm new here and decided to post 3 sonatas by Antonio Soler. I saw, that you have just one recording of one sonata on this site and this is pity, because these are really wonderful.

These are three live recordings, I hope you like them! :-)

Best regards
Jana

Soler - Sonata No. 73 (3:45)
Soler - Sonata No. 77 (4:39)
Soler - Sonata No. 88 (2:38)

Post subject: Re: Antonio Soler 3 Sonatas
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm 

hi, Jana!

I didn't know Soler piano music! I thought it was only for guitar! (really :roll: )

these are very nicely played, with much variety in touchs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:27 pm 

Jana,
I really enjoyed these (especially no 88 in D-flat major)! This is artist level playing. I have no Soler in my rep (so much good music and so little time: for my brain anyway). I anxiously await to hear more about you (as you will soon be requested by one of our monitors) and more from you in recordings. Welcome to PS and thanks for posting!
Eddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:45 am 

I've heard the odd piece of Soler before, but not enough to claim any familiarity with his music. These are very nice (some resemblances to Scarlatti), and the playing sounds very professional and nuanced. Thanks for the upload!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:14 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jana and welcome to PS. I also do not know these pieces, but they sounded very well-played! When exactly were they recorded? Also, can you please us a little about yourself? We are a curious bunch.... :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Wonderful playing, great music. I would think Scarlatti's Sonatas have been a big influence on Soler, and these are almost as good (though not quite). Strange that this music is not wider known. So thanks for posting these ! We definitely need more Soler on the site. The sound here is a little too big and reverberant for this music, IMHO, but these being live recordings I guess there is nothing you can do about that.

So if you wish to be a pianist on this site, please provide some details. In particular, tell us if you plan to be a regular contributor and forum poster. We have had too many pianists already who drop in a couple of recordings from their archive and then are never seen again. This is not how we want it to be, we like to be an active community, not just a free web hosting service.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:30 am 

Thank you all of you for the nice posts! :-)

@Felipe: Soler has over 200 piano sonatas, so far as I know and all of them are like the Scarlatti's sonatas with just one movement.

@Eddy: no 88 in D-flat major is my favourite ;-)

@Andrew: Yes, they have some resemblances to Scarlatti.

@Pianolady: I recorded the pieces last year.
about myself: I'm 29 years old, started playing piano when I was four. I come from Bulgaria, but I live in Germany for 10 years. In June I'll conclude my
second study in the college of music in Frankfurt/Main and I prepare at the moment my piano program for the final examination/concert.
I work also as piano teacher for children at a music school and repetiteur for singers at the college of music.
Is it enough for the "curious bunch"? :D

@Techneut: I would be glad to be a pianist on the site. I find the idea of this site great and I'll enjoy it to be a regular contributor and forum poster. I have some
recordings more and I will also make some in the future.

Jana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Jana Marinova wrote:
@Techneut: I would be glad to be a pianist on the site. I find the idea of this site great and I'll enjoy it to be a regular contributor and forum poster. I have some recordings more and I will also make some in the future.

Sounds good ! Welcome to PS, then.
Now you'll have to provide a bio and photo for your artist page. You can post them right here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:04 pm 

Welcome to PS, Jana!
I really liked the sonata no.77 with the subtle and noble melancholic. Very nice playng!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:02 pm 

Thank you, Hye-Jin Lee! :-)

@Chris Breemer: Here is my bio and a photo. Thank you for adding me :-)

Jana Marinova was born in Burgas, Bulgaria into an artist family. She began having piano lessons at the age of 4. She studied at a music school and a german highschool in her hometown. Jana won in her early age several prizes in Italy: “Concorso Internazionale di Musica Per i Giovani Citta` di Stresa”, “Concorso Internationale Pianistico Cava de` Tirreni” in Salerno, “International Piano Competition Ibla Grand Prize” and she won diverse prizes in Bulgaria, too. At the age of 13 she had her first concert with an orchestra in Bulgaria.
Graduating the high school Jana decided to take a break from music and spend 5 years studying scandinavian languages at the university in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. After the break she diceded to continue her musical education and began to study piano at the College of Music “Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst” in Frankfurt.
She works as piano teacher for children and adults at a music school in Bad Homburg, Germany and as répétiteur for singers. Jana is active in performing at concerts, participating in many projects with singers and chamber musicians.
Jana prepares at the moment her piano program for the final examination in June this year at the College of Music “Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst” in Frankfurt.

Jana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Jana. I've created your page and linked to the Soler page. I have yet to upload the music, but I'm too busy with my own recordings just now :) Tomorrow is another day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:55 am 

Thanks, Chris :-) Don't worry, take your time and enjoy your recordings! :-)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Ok, all done I think. Please check if everything is in good order. I slightly edited your bio text in places.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:50 am 

Jana, Musik als zweites Studium, that's cool! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:12 pm 

Guten tag Jana! I really like your playing...can't believe it was a live recording! Sounds so professional-no slips, and like others have said, resembles Scarlatti a lot! Welcome to the site..and I'd like to know, what is a "répétiteur?" Is that like another word for accompanist?

Thanks for bringing Soler to the forefront...never heard of him before, so it's nice to be exposed to new music/composers!

Again, really like your playing and look forward to more of your recordings!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:20 am 

Thank you, Chris! Everything is in a good order :-)

@Vcpianoman: Guten Tag! Or better Guten Abend... :-) Thank you for the nice words! "Répétiteur" is an accompanist for singers. I play the orchestra versions of the operas on the piano :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9p%C3%A9titeur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:31 am 

Hi Jana,

I'm very glad I listened to your Soler sonatas! I had not heard them before. Your artistry is impeccable and in these works, and I admire your musicianship. Very beautiful playing!

The little I know and surmise about Soler intrigues me. He was a monk and a priest, so undoubtedly was more isolated from the music circles of his time, and seemingly concentrated mostly on composing for organ and harpsichord, including, not surprisingly, sacred music. And as someone else pointed out here, he studied with Scarlatti, thus must have absorbed much of the older Baroque traditions that can be heard in these sonatas, although they might lean more toward the refurbished and refined Rococo style. But surprisingly, he was a contemporary of Haydn who played such a large role in defining the Classical style (although Haydn outlived Soler, maybe because he had access to better chefs!). Spain was far from Austria in an era of slow travel, and where Soler was more isolated and leading a contemplative life along with composing, it seems he was preserving and extending the Rococo style, while Haydn and others were steadily moving into the Classical style, a new path entirely. I guess Soler is an early example--not unlike Rachmaninoff who persisted unperturbed in the Romantic tradition rather than leaping into serial music--of a composer who was determined and content to do his own thing. I certainly give Soler credit for that!

Again, I enjoyed listening. The quality of your sound recording is superb too.

David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:03 am 

Hello Jana,

These sonatas were new to me. I mostly know Soler from his concerti for two keyboard instruments. I later found him to be much later than Scarlatti, but when I first heard his music I thought him to be a contemparary. I believe this persistence of an older style in Spain was more widespread: the works of Mateo Albeniz, also from roughly the same period, also owe something to Scarlatti and of course Scarlatti owes something to Spanish music. It is only with Boccherini's arrival that the classical style arrives in Spain.

While these sonatas do not sound as interesting as the concerti, they have their moments. I would have cut the applause at the end of Sonata No 88, but this is the only thing I would mention in otherwise fine performaces.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:28 am 

Hello and Welcome, Jana!

Wow, these pieces are real gems! You played them beautifully. I especially like your phrasing throughout each piece -- very effective. They sound like Scarlatti to me, too. Looking forward to hearing your next submissions here. :)

~Adrienne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:03 am 

Hi Jana,

You play with a lot of color and fantastic coordination between the hands. At times the piano sounded a bit like a harpsichord.
The spirit in the No.73 Sonata was great and yet there was a lot of lyricism. Your embellishments are spot on and the blend of the harmonies was very rich.
Congratulations on a beautiful performance. I would love to hear you play Scarlatti and Mozart.

Kaila