Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin - Waltz in A-flat Major, Op. 64, no. 3
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:03 am 

Hi,

Here is my new recording (that I did a few days ago) of the Chopin - Waltz in A-flat Major, Op. 64, no. 3.

Thank You,
-Kaila Rochelle

Chopin - Waltz in A-flat Major, Op. 64, no. 3 (3:05)

Post subject: Re: Chopin - Waltz in A-flat Major, Op. 64, no. 3
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

musicrecovery wrote:
Here is my new recording (that I did a few days ago) of the Chopin - Waltz in A-flat Major, Op. 64, no. 3.

A few days ago, are you sure ? The ID3 tag said 2010 :D BTW - Thanks for doing the naming and tagging right, you're one of the very few who do that. I should really write down these guidelines once again.

This is a pleasing performance. However I find it just a little non-committal and generalized, a bit apologetic even as if you were saying 'sorry for bothering you with this little ditty by Chopin'. I've always sound this a grand and exciting waltz, despite its small scale, but here I miss a sense of urgency and drive especially in the build-up to the finale. This waltz needs not be blown up but a bit more grand manner would be appropriate here IMO. A shame that a note is missing in the final upward run, and I think one on the way down too, or else something sounds funny here. Maybe you should have redone this bit. The sound is a bit more woolly than I'm used to from you.

This one is up on the site (but no problem if you want to redo it).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:26 pm 

Quote:
Thanks for doing the naming and tagging right, you're one of the very few who do that. I should really write down these guidelines once again.

Have you ever written them down? :shock: I didn't catch it. I would like to do that, too, if I know how to do it.

BTW I listened to your playing, kalia. Your approach sounds to me very original, since I heard some interesting phrasings.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:55 am 

I too found this performance musically a bit on the tame side, the primary theme lacking in charm and waywardness and the middle (especially that robust bassline melody) and ending lacking in decisiveness and bravura. My primary concerns would be technical though. It seems rather swathed in pedal and marred by dropped notes and slight unevennesses in some of the more extended passages. One piece of advice I would offer is not to take Chopin's pedal markings too literally. Though he frequently marks them as continuing through the measure, he was writing with the much lighter action of the Pleyel or Erard in mind. Cortot pointed out that the initial bass note of a waltz was like a "matchstick" -- that it should sound dry and clear. It also needs to sing out better IMO against the accompanimental figures on beats 2 and 3.

I don't mean to sound too negative though. This is IMO a deceptively difficult waltz to play well (isn't almost everything of Chopin :P ) with its extensions and slightly offbeat character. It might help to practice without pedal entirely and focus on finger legato first and foremost. I was perceiving some nice phrasings in your right hand that weren't quite coming out because of the rather blurred sound.

Joe

Post subject: alternate take - Chopin - Waltz in A-flat Major, Op. 64, no
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:58 am 

techneut wrote:
A few days ago, are you sure ? The ID3 tag said 2010 :D BTW - Thanks for doing the naming and tagging right, you're one of the very few who do that. I should really write down these guidelines once again.

This is a pleasing performance. However I find it just a little non-committal and generalized, a bit apologetic even as if you were saying 'sorry for bothering you with this little ditty by Chopin'. I've always sound this a grand and exciting waltz, despite its small scale, but here I miss a sense of urgency and drive especially in the build-up to the finale...

This one is up on the site (but no problem if you want to redo it).

Chris,

Thank you for helpful criticisms. I'm submitting an 'alternate take' from last Tuesday nights recording session;
actually it is the very first recording from the Chopin Op. 64, no. 3 group. I have a video recording as well which I will post soon.

Regards (much appreciation),
Kaila

Chopin - Waltz in A-flat Major, Op. 64, No. 3 (3:07)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:08 am 
Site Admin

hyenal wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for doing the naming and tagging right, you're one of the very few who do that. I should really write down these guidelines once again.

Have you ever written them down? :shock: I didn't catch it. I would like to do that, too, if I know how to do it.

I think I did on the old forum. Somehow it got lost and since then I've been too lazy to spend half an hour on writing down these rules that can save us many hours a year. How is that for silly. I should be going this any day now, really.

Post subject: Re: alternate take - Chopin - Waltz in A-flat Major, Op. 64, no
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:34 am 
Site Admin

musicrecovery wrote:
Thank you for helpful criticisms. I'm submitting an 'alternate take' from last Tuesday nights recording session;
actually it is the very first recording from the Chopin Op. 64, no. 3 group. I have a video recording as well which I will post soon.

Hi Kaila,

I'm not sure this one is better. As Joe noted, there are rather some slips and missed notes (here as well as in the other version) and it's a bit over-pedaled in places. Also I find this version even more detached and laconic, lacking in conviction and brilliance. Sorry to be a bit critical... If I knew you were playing at the top of your abilities I would not moan so much, but I believe you really can do much better than this, both in terms of interpretation and technique !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
hyenal wrote:
Quote:

I think I did on the old forum. Somehow it got lost and since then I've been too lazy to spend half an hour on writing down these rules that can save us many hours a year. How is that for silly. I should be going this any day now, really.

I still have them on my computer somewhere.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
I still have them on my computer somewhere.

That would help. No point in re-inventing the wheel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:17 pm 

techneut wrote:
I'm not sure this one is better.

Chris,
Thank you for your critique, but could you please replace my original file upload with the
new file.

Much Appreciated,
- Kaila

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

musicrecovery wrote:
Thank you for your critique, but could you please replace my original file upload with the new file.

You're the boss :) I will do it tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:01 pm 

techneut wrote:
musicrecovery wrote:
Thank you for your critique, but could you please replace my original file upload with the new file.

You're the boss :) I will do it tonight.

Chris,
Thank you so much. I'll be recording again soon and will most likely re-record the
Op. 64 A-flat Major Waltz, but for now I'm more comfortable with the more recent
'alt take' file upload.

Much Appreciated,
-Kaila

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, it's been replaced.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:00 pm 

techneut wrote:
Ok, it's been replaced.

Chris,
Thank you for replacing the newer version I sent you. I appreciate your feedback and will take it into consideration when I re-record this piece some time in the future. I am happier with this new take.

Kaila

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:05 am 
Site Admin

I enjoyed this, Kaila, and think you played it nicely. Isn't this such a quirky little waltz? Chopin in a good mood....Chopin at play....

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano