Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: MacDowell: To a Wild Rose
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:19 pm 

Hello all,

Here is another try at a MacDowell piece, I'm auditioning for addition to the site. Again, I know this is a well known work, possibly overplayed and the only work people equate with MacDowell. I'm prepared for the comments...In any case, constructive comments would be appreciated as for it's improvement, etc. There seems to be a lot you can do with it's melody, yet I don't favor doing too much...I mean, in my edition it is marked as "with simple tenderness" so, I think there has to be some restraint.

Anyway, hope it is acceptable...likeable anyway!!

Thanks!

~Vcp

MacDowell - "To a Wild Rose", Op. 51, no. 1

Post subject: Re: MacDowell: To a Wild Rose
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:38 pm 

Hi John, This is really nit-picky because I think you played it beautifully and it stands very well as is. But if you go back and listen to it and pay attention to the 12th note of the melody, I think you'll agree that it could have been played softer, in the same manner that you conclude the following phrase. This happens exactly the same when it repeats later. This detail is not worth the effort of re-recording, but you may wish to pursue it ... or not. One other idea: I try to play some of the repetitions (like the second statment of the melody) like a whisper. But that's just personal. Thanks for the recording.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

This is up, John. Sounded like you played it all right, but the sound is a little wobbly. Maybe because it's 128kbps.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

It's a bit straight-laced but otherwise ok. I'd have wanted a bit more ardour though. Such a very simple and short piece maybe needs a little extra. But I respect your decision to not want to make this into more than it actually is - a slender and modest piece.