Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Mozart - Rondo KV 511
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

It seems to be a very long time ago we had some Mozart submitted here :!: Is he not very popular in these quarters or what :?:
Here is a re-recording of my dreadful old version (2006) of this lovely Rondo. It's a strange thing really, a Rondo marked Andante.

Mozart - Rondo in A minor, KV 511 (10:24)

I'm sure the good folks here can pick out the odd weak note or imperfect trill but otherwise I believe this is not bad. Feels like Mozart is just as hard to play well than Bach.

Post subject: Re: Mozart - Rondo KV 511
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:14 pm 

Hi Chris, I know this piece! :D I got familiar with it through Andras Schiff's CD. You play it beautifully, but at times I wished a more fluency in phrasing and more drama (this piece is rather long and so much the more the performer should shape it interestingly). But as you said, it is just as hard as playing Bach well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:30 pm 

techneut wrote:
It's a strange thing really, a Rondo marked Andante.

well... there is Für Elise, which is a rondò marked "Poco mosso"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:19 am 

Hi Chris,

I enjoyed listening to your Rondo, although I cannot recall having heard it before. It seemed very well performed. I haven't played any Mozart in decades. It's always been my impression that pianists with smaller hands are more successful in rippling through Mozart's passage work, although yes, I'm fully aware that Rachmaninoff had no difficulty playing Mozart, and that you too have larger hands. The other problem I had was running out of fingers! :lol: Anyway, those are my excuses. :wink: Again, very fine playing on your part.

Concerning the andante tempo: A couple of things about a rondo--first, as you know, there is a matter of form, and that is that there be a dominant melody that alternates with two or more episodes. Second, by tradition, because a rondo is supposed to be joyful or playful, those moods do lend themselves to tempos faster than moderato. (I think immediately of the rondos in so many of the last movements of the Beethoven sonatas, for example.) Still, what must govern the composer is the interplay between the dominant theme and the episodes. There is probably more discretion concerning tempo which arises not by rule, but more from common practice and even general expectation as well, but is not binding on the composer. If the mood is more reflective such that a lyrical andante will be required, as long as the more overarching matter of form is observed, then the tempo deviation within the form would, in theory, be OK albeit it unusual. That's my own take on it anyway. It would be far more interesting if we could hear Mozart's views on the matter. It could be that he just wanted to be more daring in this work.

Concerning the recording, I think the revised Gaveau in tandem with the Tascam provides a wonderful result in this music. It doesn't get much better than that.

David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Thanks David and Hye-Jin for the feedback.

hyenal wrote:
Hi Chris, I know this piece! :D I got familiar with it through Andras Schiff's CD. You play it beautifully, but at times I wished a more fluency in phrasing and more drama (this piece is rather long and so much the more the performer should shape it interestingly). But as you said, it is just as hard as playing Bach well.

I am sure I lose some points compared to Schiff :wink:

Rachfan wrote:
Concerning the recording, I think the revised Gaveau in tandem with the Tascam provides a wonderful result in this music. It doesn't get much better than that.
Yes I am very pleased indeed with the new sound. The problem is now that I want to re-record everything :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

I like Mozart a lot, but for some reason do not often put him up on my piano. Really should, though...
Anyway, this was nice 'getting dressed' music. I don't know this piece that well, but sounded like you played it very nicely.
Good start to my day. The sound is good too.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Gaaahhh... 'getting dressed' music. I always knew my recordings would be good for something.
Now just don't go asking for 'getting undressed' music. I don't have any. Unless no.15 of this set

http://pianosociety.com/cms/index.php?section=1977

qualifies :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

:lol: that's funny.
Okay, I guess I can listen to you again tonight....

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:29 pm 

Well, you see, Chris, everyone here now strives for the unknown, so you have Bortkiewicz, Vladigerov, Camilleri, Aunt Matilda... In the end we are left wondering: "Who's this chap Mozart? Why isn't he working for us?" :D

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:40 am 

This is a fine recording. I enjoyed it a lot. Clear and accurate. Your sound also contributes to this.
My only reservation lies on the feel of the piece. It seems too literal. I would prefer more 'acting', more fluctuating temper, more kid-like playing around even inside the same phrase. Mozart's music needs playful character. And sometimes this contradicts the seriousness which we usually face 'serious' music with.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:00 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Pantelis. Yes maybe some more freedom would not go amiss especially in a long piece like this.
I should learn to let my hair down a bit more (insofar as I still have it, hehe).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:29 pm 

Chris,

Very well done. Sounds more relaxed towards the end.
A lot of good things in this performance.

Kaila Rochelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

musicrecovery wrote:
Very well done. Sounds more relaxed towards the end.
A lot of good things in this performance.

That's good to hear, thanks :D