Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Requesting replacement of archive recording
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:30 am 

Hi Chris and Monica,

This is the first time I've ever made a request like this, but I'd like to replace the existing archived recording of the Bortkiewicz "Prelude", Op. 40, No. 6 with the one attached here. I successfully filtered out the A/C hiss from the original recording, and it sounds much cleaner now! :wink: I think listeners will enjoy it much more this way. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

David

Bortkiewicz - Prelude, Op. 40, No. 6 (3:10)

Post subject: Re: Requesting replacement of archive recording
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, this has been replaced.
Not sure if I've listened to this one before. Sounds rather like Rachmaninov. Ah well, Scriabin and Rach are not bad examples. I just wish Bortkiewicz could have a bit more of a distinctive voice now and then. Very well played as usual.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:54 pm 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replacing that one. That A/C noise had always bugged me, but I never re-recorded the piece. But it's important to note too that although I turned on the editing program, it was only to filter out an extraneous sound, nothing to do with my own playing though. :wink: Yes, this No. 6 is a gorgeous piece, one Bortkiewicz's best in my opinion.

David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:52 pm 

techneut wrote:
Not sure if I've listened to this one before. Sounds rather like Rachmaninov. Ah well, Scriabin and Rach are not bad examples. I just wish Bortkiewicz could have a bit more of a distinctive voice now and then. Very well played as usual.

Funny that, I find him quite characteristic and do not find him at all similar to Rachmaninoff. I can tell his style even though I only know a dozen pieces or so.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:09 pm 

richard66 wrote:
techneut wrote:

Funny that, I find him quite characteristic and do not find him at all similar to Rachmaninoff. I can tell his style even though I only know a dozen pieces or so.

I agree.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:13 pm 

Hi,

The influences on Bortkiewicz's idiom were principally Scriabin, Wagner and Faure. That said, although a trace of influence can be noted here or there, in the main Bortkiewicz displays his own wonderful originality in my opinion. One thing is absolutely for certain though--no previous composer influenced that awful A/C wooshing air sound! We surely can all agree on that! (Oops, although could there be some John Cage in there? :lol:)