Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Grieg - Wedding-day Op. 65 no. 5
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:45 pm 

well... this is not a piece I have listened too much and with much care. I have the Austbo and the Mourão recording, and I have listened to both only once.
anyway... I find the ending more beautiful the way I played at first! hehe (G and D two octaves higher. I'll make an "edition" of this piece and offers it to Schirmer.)

here is the (re)³recording. (after so many redos, I hope I submitted the latest version)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:48 pm 

the lesson we all learned today is: people can help you. or not.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:59 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Oh sh*t, I knew that! But now Felipe is right now re-re-recording this with an E and then he'll have to re-re-re-record with the D.
Felipe, I sure wish you would have simply listened to this piece first!

Hehe... we can keep him busy for a while like this :lol: :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:45 am 
Site Admin

Ok, Felipe, this one is the keeper. :D I've replaced it. And although we may have had you hopping today, at least after all that you got a decent recording. You can thank me by buying me something...:lol:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:58 am 

Wow, I am so sorry I missed all the excitement on this thread! :D

Felipe, I don't know which version I just heard, but I think it is the official one up on the site. I think you are conveying great energy here! Sometimes it is a little breathless, but the middle section was very nice; I liked the tempo in this most recent take. Have you heard the 1903 recording by Grieg? It's just the last third of the piece, without the lyrical middle section, and the sound quality is very scratchy, but worth hearing. It's on YouTube, easy to find by searching "Grieg Wedding Day."

In the 4th(?) measure of those big ascending chords, the last time they appear, I might hesitate slightly more, to create even greater anticipation for the returning theme. Those chords could breathe a little more, and this would give you the chance to make a broader crescendo, too. What do you think? I don't have the score in front of me to give you measure numbers . . .

A little O/T: I had the privilege of hearing Danish pianist Mogens Dalsgaard give a lecture recital on this piece back in 1990 or so, when I was in college. He explained what the story was behind each section of the piece, and after sharing the stories, he played it and it was just so wonderful to picture the wedding day. Troldhaugen refers to Grieg's home, where he and his wife were married, so it is autobiographical. The lecture in combo with the performance really brought the piece to life. I remember one of the other pieces he talked about was Debussy's "Sunken Cathedral." When he played it, I had goosebumps the entire time. Wish I had taken and kept notes on that lecture! :)

Really enjoyed listening to your recording! I think it sounds great, regardless of those LH notes at the end. ;) Looking forward to your next submission here.

~Adrienne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:54 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Ok, Felipe, this one is the keeper. :D I've replaced it. And although we may have had you hopping today, at least after all that you got a decent recording. You can thank me by buying me something...:lol:

I think I'm gonna buy you some glasses. :lol:

AdrienneM wrote:
Sometimes it is a little breathless, but the middle section was very nice; I liked the tempo in this most recent take.

the other versions differed only in wrong notes. hehe
but I think this new version is more breathless (that happens when I record the same piece several times... the first time is a joy! the other ones are obligation. I kinda play like "let's finish it as soon as possible". :? )

I didn't know there were recordings by Grieg. I'll check them!

AdrienneM wrote:
In the 4th(?) measure of those big ascending chords, the last time they appear, I might hesitate slightly more, to create even greater anticipation for the returning theme. Those chords could breathe a little more, and this would give you the chance to make a broader crescendo, too. What do you think? I don't have the score in front of me to give you measure numbers . . .

I did a little of ritarding in the second time... in fact I did it by accident. I was really tired, that why I couldn't play those chords a tempo. but it sounded good, and I agree with you: there should be a little more of it! I should even do it in the first time (the second time it should be broader, as you said. good idea).

thanks for listening and commenting!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:47 pm 

Hi Felipe, as usual you seem to enjoy your playing and the music itself and this let also the listeners enjoy your playing :)
The possible improvements were already said by Chris and I'd like only to say that I enjoyed your playing this fun piece!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:19 pm 

hyenal wrote:
Hi Felipe, as usual you seem to enjoy your playing and the music itself and this let also the listeners enjoy your playing :)

thanks, Hye Jin!

hyenal wrote:
The possible improvements were already said by Chris

yes, in this last take it is hurried. about the dragging in the middle section, I find it a matter of taste (hence subjective).

hyenal wrote:
I'd like only to say that I enjoyed your playing this fun piece!

thanks for listening!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:07 am 

Hi Felipe,

I've only played a few Grieg pieces, but not this one. From listening though, I believe you've played it very well. The playing of the main theme is stately and also light and airy when that touch is required, and you pay close attention to all the many fussy details there too, managing throughout to convey the excitement of the wedding day. Your playing of the middle part is very lyrical indeed--beautiful playing. You've given a fine account of this work!

A humorous note: There is an old movie-musical from the 1950s, "The King and I" which starred Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr with musical soundtrack by Rogers and Hammerstein. There is a part in the film when the numerous King's children are introduced one by one to their new governess. The music that accompanies that scene reminds me of this Grieg piece, and vice versa. Of course Grieg came first, so probably Rogers took his inspiration from the former.

Again, a very nice performance of the Grieg.

David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:17 pm 

thanks, David!

about the other similar piece...
that happens. I've already written at least two pieces which I discovered they were "copies" of others (sometimes, not copies, but they were too similar). of course... the difference with Rogers is that I quit writing or performing them after I discovered they are not original. hehe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:56 pm 

A great improvement, principally in the middle section. I must say, after hearing the first version, I reached out from my Grieg, because I could not remember this piece being so long and finiding out that section occupies just a page. On listening again I did not get this feeling.

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:05 pm 

thanks!

Austbo recording (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq83dUB37rI) lasts 15 seconds shorter than mine. he plays the middle section faster, but his ritardings are broader.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:30 pm 

I've definitely heard this piece before, but have no idea where or when! In any case, this is good playing, with spirit in the outer sections and a nice feel to the lyrical middle. The sound on the Austbo recording is better (perhaps that's only to be expected); I'm not quite sure about the higher trebles on your piano (for example, from the start of the second page going by the score on youtube) but perhaps my ears are having a fussy day. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:04 pm 

thanks!

you mean the higher pitches of mine are out of tune? or they're weak?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:31 pm 

I thought there were a couple of notes which are not quite right (it was a very marginal thing though). I'm beginning to doubt myself, however! I'm sure I heard it first time, but now I've listened to the relevant passage about 20 times now and I don't always catch it. I wouldn't worry about it.