PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:06 pm 

This piece is so fun!
(can't say the same for marriage...)

Grieg - Wedding Day at Troldhaugen Op. 65 no. 6

Post subject: Re: Grieg - Wedding-day Op. 65 no. 5
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi again, Felipe :wink:

This is one of my very favorite Grieg pieces! (also my first video - which I made a big clunker... :lol: ). Anyway, I like your tempo and some of your triplets and grace notes are crystal clear. I wish some of mine would have come out that nicely. And your flow is good. Again, sometimes better than mine. But also there are some times when things are a bit too muffled and I'm not sure if you are using too much pedal, or what. Your pretty middle section came out nice and pretty, but I am hesitating on putting this up because I think you made a reading error that I'm fairly certain is in fact a reading error, because I've heard this piece so many times and have never heard those particular spots that way before. And because we have already several recordings of this piece, any additional recordings need to be (not slip-free) but read-error free.

The places I'm talking about are at bar 29 - the LH should be a B-natural (you play B-flat). Bar 34 - RH top note is a G-natural (you play G-flat). One other thing - your ending - the second from last bar - don't think the RH was correct. Also those notes I think should be more staccato and pay attention to the rests.

If you can prove me wrong about the places, then we'll let it go up. :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:51 pm 

yes! these are reading erros.

Bar 29 I fount it strage when I read it for the first time. It should be B natural, just like the E natural in bar 24.
And there is that G in bar 34 (I think I got too excited with so much flats. I couldn't see G was natural! hehe)

I'll re-record it.
Though you said you enjoyed the triplets, there are some not clear... I don't know if my piano is loosing the singing tone (or maybe this is an acoustic problem due to the weather... these instruments are so sensitive... :lol: )
also that muffled thing, it seems to be an acoustic problem (or a piano problem... my piano seems to fuss in the bass)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:07 am 

here is a new version. I think the triplets are better now (those who were annoying me in the last version... but the first one was more spontaneous and less hurried.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Good work but I find it a bit hard-driven and relentless. The repeated open fifths are not always clearly enunciated. The slow section, which is to provide the much-needed contrast, nicely done but seems to drag a bit. There is again that thumping noise (dampers ?) which I noticed in earlier recordings of yours. Maybe your recorder is too close ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:07 pm 

I really don't know! Nothing changed (the only thing that changed lately is the equalizing). The recorder is at the exact same distance...

I discovered while recording this piece that there is an A-key which is making noise. I'll ask the tuner to do something about it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure why this was not put up already, but I've put your second version up now. I like it much better now. Really, great job on this, Felipe. The only thing is the ending, which you still played the second bar from the end incorrectly. The RH should play together a B and E below middle C. Also, these 5ths in both hands should be separated by the rests and played staccato. If you could fix that one place, it will be a very nice version. I can replace the file if you do so.

One more thing - it's no. 6, not 5....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:19 pm 

pianolady wrote:
One other thing - your ending - the second from last bar - don't think the RH was correct. Also those notes I think should be more staccato and pay attention to the rests.

Sorry... when I read this, I thought you were saying the staccato (?) in the bar before last was wrong. So I didn't pay attention there was a misreading there too.

I've redone only the ending. I hope the cut is inaudible. My soundboard is making noises (like that of an LP) and I can't clearly hear whether the cut is well done.

PS: this recording was made at 2 pm, and it is clearer (in sound quality) than that one I made yesterday night. I told you these instruments are sensitive... :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure where the cut is, but I didn't hear it.
I think though that the second open fifth in the penultimate bar is wrong. The RH still has the bass clef here, at least in my Peters edition.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:23 pm 

yes, you're right. :shock:

if I understood correctly, Monica said I should play E and B (which would be if the clef was treble). I was influenced, so I didn't see the bass clef.

time for reredoing it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

felipesarro wrote:
yes, you're right. :shock:

if I understood correctly, Monica said I should play E and B (which would be if the clef was treble). I was influenced, so I didn't see the bass clef.

time for reredoing it.

Well, I did say B and E BELOW middle C....

You are welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

It's actually D and G.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Oh sh*t, I knew that! But now Felipe is right now re-re-recording this with an E and then he'll have to re-re-re-record with the D.
Felipe, I sure wish you would have simply listened to this piece first!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

wait wait wait Felipe - this is all wrong....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

The RH notes are very low D and G. There is a bass clef sign there. I knew how to play it, but not how to explain it correctly before. Hope I didn't confuse you too much.... :oops: