Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: H2 zoom portable recorder opinions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:17 pm 

I am excited, since I just purchased an .mp3 recorder: the H2 Zoom portable one. Although I wanted the Edroil (sp?) But since it was kind of expensive, I read that this is comparable...

I'd like to know anyone's experience with this recorder...hopefully I made a good choice?
Also, any suggestions on how to properly place the recorder would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help!!
:-)

Vcp

Post subject: Re: H2 zoom portable recorder opinions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:43 pm 

I use H4 for my recordings (H2 is surround, while H4 allows recording in 4 tracks, I think that's the main difference of them two. If this is the only major difference, you made a good buy!).

I've been told to buy some mics condensers, so that the sound quality would be better. Truly speaking, I think the difference would not be that much. What would really make a noticeable difference would be to keep the H4 but change to a good grand piano (today I have an upright) on a studio (today I record in my living room).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:09 pm 

Hello,

good buy. H2 is extremelly good in an ensemble. It is possible to place between the players. Personally I think, that it is more important where is the recorder / microphone, than how good it is. Of course it is no sense to record with a small cheap hand-recorder but from H2 up everything is more or less ok. I would say that microphones of H2 are not so so powerful as at H4 but in general it is difference if you don't compare. If you need really fantastic sound, just buy a condenser microphone to this.

It is a project which I really would like to try. My girlfriend has one H2 and I have Olympus LS-10. The Olympus is better but doesn't have 360 degrees of recording. So I would like to try to record the instrument with LS10 and the acoustic from the middle of a hall with H2.. It would be impressive...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:16 pm 

I used to have one of these. I found that the "L" setting was best for miking a grand piano. The signal might be a little low but you can amplify it in post-processing (see Audacity free program). The noise level of recorders like this is low enough to allow this sort of amplification to be done without adding too much hiss.

The alternative is to use the "M" setting and either risk overloading on the loud notes, or move the machine away from the piano and have the sound less clear.

I also found I needed to give the bass a little boost as the internal mics of the recorder weren't quite as sensitive in the bass registers.
That aside it is a good little machine. Enjoy using it and let us hear the results!