Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Lipatti
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:39 pm 

(Said with a sigh of relief): I just love Dinu Lipatti, don't you? :D What elegance and finess. What a loss.

Post subject: Re: Lipatti
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:15 am 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
(Said with a sigh of relief): I just love Dinu Lipatti, don't you? :D What elegance and finess. What a loss.

Has he died, then ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:48 am 

For me the finest Schumann Concerto in A was played by Dinu Lipatti. He died in 1950, so young. A few years earlier he had been diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease. Back then the only treatment was cortisone. Despite pain and discomfort he courageously played recitals and concerts almost to the end. I was in kindergarten at the time, so wasn't aware of him. But later on I got to hear some of his recordings and learned more about him. He was one of a kind. William Kapell, another young, upcoming artist died later in 1953 in an air crash while returning from Australia or an Asian tour as I recall it. I had just started piano lessons that year. I remember my teacher speaking of him. At the time, I imagine that the loss of two great young artists was a shock to music lovers the world over. Both great pianists were only in their low 30s.

Last edited by Rachfan on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:17 pm 

Rachfan wrote:
For me the finest Schumann Concerto in A was played by Dinu Lipatti.

Indeed!

In this respect I remember reading D. Paperno Memoirs (or whatever the book was called). The year he was playing (along with Ashkenazi) at the Warsaw Chopin Competition, for the opening night A.B.Michelangeli (was member of jury then) performed Schumann Concerto. After the concert all that excited Paperno and Ashkenazi rushed to Michelangeli to tell how much they liked it and how wonderful it was.
Michelangeli (according to many, he wasn't the nicest guy, ever) through his teeth: "Have you heard Dinu Lipatti?"

Best, M

P.S. Thinking of it, I actually heard Gilels live playing this Concerto. Of course, it was very different... but equally magnificent!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:01 pm 

Quote:
For me the finest Schumann Concerto in A was played by Dinu Lipatti.

For me, too!!! Absolutely....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:55 pm 

There is that crazy Alborada del Grazioso and the Chopin waltzes!
He was Cortot's pupil, but very differently he was amazingly accurate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:04 pm 

felipe wrote:
He was Cortot's pupil, but very differently he was amazingly accurate.

True that! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:41 pm 

Hi,

In the matter of Cortot, his playing was so refined and poetic that nobody cared about errors or memory lapses. He was a truly great artist.

David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:17 am 

Rachfan wrote:
Hi,

In the matter of Cortot, his playing was so refined and poetic that nobody cared about errors or memory lapses. He was a truly great artist.

David

Furthermore, I've heard (pretty sure it was from my teacher) that when older, Cortot's increasingly prevalent memory lapses etc were a side-effect of the medication he was given to control nerves/stagefright.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:55 am 
Site Admin

andrew wrote:
Furthermore, I've heard (pretty sure it was from my teacher) that when older, Cortot's increasingly prevalent memory lapses etc were a side-effect of the medication he was given to control nerves/stagefright.
That's sad... :(

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:06 am 

pianolady wrote:
andrew wrote:
That's sad... :(

Indeed...
@David: I never thought that Cortot was not a great artist. His art is certainly a rarity that today's listener miss a lot. I love also Kempff's playing with his many slips :wink: and heard from somewhere that Rubinstein's playing in his young age was more beautiful than the later one which was concerning the accuracy much more polished.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:04 pm 

Maybe I should start another thread on this, but my stomach turns with the mention of Kempff near to that of Chopin (Cortot). I own one record (LP) that I will never listen to again and couldn't make it through the first time, and it was Kempf playing Chopin. It was like vinigar and oil to me. :( Now let me hasten to say that his Beethoven is quite another matter.

Last edited by musical-md on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:00 pm 

I've never heard Kempff playing Chopin and maybe that's why I like him so much :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:32 pm 

musical-md wrote:

I also love listening to Dinu Lipatti.
I have a collection of LP's called "The Art of Dinu Lipatti" and I admire his playing very much.
I like techneut's remark "Has he died, then?"
Of course he is not dead because his music lives on...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:37 am 

Rachfan wrote:
For me the finest Schumann Concerto in A was played by Dinu Lipatti. He died in 1950 so young. A few years earlier he was diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease. Back then the only treatment was cortisone. Dispite pain and discomfort he courageously played recitals and concerts almost to the end. I was in kindergarten at the time, so wasn't aware of him. But later on I got to hear some of his recordings and learned more about him. He was one of a kind. William Kapell, another young, upcoming artist died later in 1953 in an air crash returned from Australia or an Asian tour as I recall it. I had just started the piano lesson that year. I remember my teacher speaking of him. At that time, I imagine that the loss of two great young artists was a shock to music lovers the world over. Both great pianists were only in their low 30.

I would agree that the best Schumann Concerto in A that was played that I really liked was that of performed by Lipatti. The thing that I really liked about him is his dedication. Upon playing his final recital, even with severe illness, he still performed very well. I wished to see such musician nowadays.