Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Feinberg Sonata No.6
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:12 am 

Rarely performed Feinberg's masterpiece--Sonata No.6, 1923.

Last edited by Marik on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Feinberg Sonata No.6
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:49 pm 

I know nothing of this composer (also by the name), but your magnificent playing makes me want to explore more of his music. BTW are you a professional pianist? (Your playing sounds really professional!) I saw many of your posts on other forums, and remember that you called yourself a recording producer or so somewhere. Am I wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:43 pm 

Hi Marik,

Before today I never much enjoyed the Feinberg No. 6 Sonata. But listening to your rendition here, that has changed. Where the piece is steeped in complexities and thick tonal textures, I believe that some pianists tend to lose the the thread that you illuminate with such wonderful and consistent clarity. Your playing is always expressive as well throughout the sonata. It's magnificent! It changed my perspective on this piece.

I did some quick research, and had never realized that Feinberg was a student of Alexander Goldenweiser, who figures in my own pedagogical heritage. On YouTube I found several videos of Feinberg playing Scriabin and others. I'm looking forward to listening to him play. (There are some videos there of Goldenweiser too, which are very beautiful. He was an extraordinary artist.)

David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:20 am 

Thanks for sharing this piece; I haven't heard it before.

Wikipedia says that it was composed in 1923 not 1913. Is this correct?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:50 pm 

Finally I have some time to answer...

It is hard to say whether I am professional pianist anymore... All I can say, I was trained as one and for many years was actively performing. This recording was a part of my DMA project. Sometimes I don't practice for over a year, and then schedule a concert just to have a motivation to get back to the shape.

Yes, sorry for the typo, of course, it is 1923. I will change it.
Since I wrote quite a big essay on the topic, I will try to keep it short and concise. For me Feinberg is one of those artists when they can say: "There is Feinberg... and all the rest". There were very few such artists--Rachmaninov, Sofronitsky, Schnabel, Richter. He was absolutely unique artist, somebody who could toss a series of concerts, which included Beethoven 32 Sonatas, entire Bach WTK, and complete Scriabin Sonatas. Mind you, all of that in period of two months!!! :shock:

Feinberg was one of the first Goldenweiser's students, incredibly cultural man, phylosofer, author of many serious essays about music and aesthetics. In my mind his book "Pianism as an Art" still remains one of the most important manuscripts on performance and technique.
His knowledge of art, literature, philosophy was monumental, as was his approach to music and repertoire--he had in his active repertoire entire klavier Bach, entire Chopin, Schumann, Scriabin, besides others.
Unfortunately, because of many reasons, including situation in Stalinist Russia, as well as his kindness, modesty, and rejection of any self promotion he never become famous or popular. Feinberg was one of those artists who found themselves content with creation of art for sake of Art.

His mastery as a pianist was phenomenal. When you listen to his recordings keep in mind, all of them are from take, with no editing, made in his older age. He had very specific nervousness in performance--nobody came even close to his performance of Scriabin--his divine interpretations of Sonata-Fantasy, Sonata no.2, 4, and satanic no.5.

His Bach is unique in its rather romantic interpretation, but with absolutely clear lines and crystal clear polyphony.

I could go on and on about this dear to my heart artist, but it is like to explain taste of good wine over a phone. Just get his recordings, search youtube and hope you will enjoy him as much as I do.

Best, M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:53 am 

Beautiful ! Thank you so much for letting us discovering such an important composer and composition. This is the first piece I have the chance to listen by Feinberg. I noticed the obvious filiation with Scriabin and Rachmaninov, with some colours not far from certain Prokofiev sonatas. This russian XXth music is definitely great. Too bad that it is so elitist in terms of technical demand... But this does not seem to bother you ! BTW it seems that you are not yet registered on this site. I think it would be a pity that such a great recording become deleted... Welcome !