Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Ravel - Forlane
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:11 am 
Site Admin

Thank you, Felipe.
felipesarro wrote:
My favorite recording of it is that one by Perlemuter.

Yes, that's the one I watched and enjoyed most on Youtube. He plays it so fast and does that little staccato thing that I tried to emulate.

p.s. I received those files, but I may not have time to listen to them right away. But I will soon! :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:06 pm 

really?

generally, Perlemuter plays very slow everything. hehe
but it's still very alive.

my teacher had a few lessons with him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:50 pm 

felipesarro wrote:
my teacher had a few lessons with him.

Hello Felipe,
Incredible ! One of my teachers, with whom I have studied during four years or so, used to be a pupil of Perlemuter when she was at the Paris Conservatory. The piano world is a small village !
Two stories about Perlemuter: I have seen him in a recital in the early eighties in Paris. He was more than 80, and was constantly at the limit of failure, which made this concert quite a stressing experience - although he had a group of fans absolutely enthusiastic. Also I have met more recently another piano prof here in Nantes who had some contacts with him in the past; he did not keep a very good memory of the man. Hence Perlemuter, who met personnaly Ravel and got advices from the composer about how to interpret his music, thought that he was the only expert in this matter... A last thing I remember about him (from my piano teacher): his obsession to make the highest right-hand fingers sounding, including e.g. in Bach's fugues... Nevertheless, he was certainly a great ravelian pianist, and a great teacher too, having educated generations of professional pianists.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:24 pm 

thanks for the interesting information, François!

when my teacher went to German to have piano lessons, first he met Perlemuter and had some lessons with him. he tells me Perlemuter was very old (I think Perlemuter was not that old... Perlemuter seems to have aged too early, that's the point!). though my teacher likes his interpretations (even Perlemuter's really slow Scarbo), he didn't want to have lessons with him, so he went to Conrad Hansen.

my teacher says Perlemuter used to take everywhere his scores of Ravel's piano music, with Ravel's indications.

Last edited by felipesarro on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry guys, I totally screwed up - I don't know why I said that yesterday. :oops: I meant that it was Samson Francois whom I was watching on Youtube.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:28 pm 

I don't like Samson François (because he admitted to overlook the music structure on purpose, and I think no musician can say that, not even think of that!) but once I listened to his Scarbo and that's amazing!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:41 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Sorry guys, I totally screwed up - I don't know why I said that yesterday. :oops: I meant that it was Samson Francois whom I was watching on Youtube.

OK Monica, does not matter. Thanks to this mismatch, we've found a link with Felipe between us: he met a guy who met a guy who met a guy who met a girl that I met. Kind of brotherhood :) !
As for Samson François, many people have a real worship for him in France. I'm not familiar enough of his legacy to give a sound judgement. I remember beautiful Debussy's renditions by him, while I don't like too much his version of Cesar Franck Prelude, Choral et Fugue that I studied recently. But I understand he is mostly celebrated for his Chopin recordings...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:32 pm 

Francois de Larrard wrote:
Thanks to this mismatch, we've found a link with Felipe between us: he met a guy who met a guy who met a guy who met a girl that I met. Kind of brotherhood :) !

we are almost relatives!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

:lol: You guys are cracking me up....