Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Lang Lang
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:34 pm 

Marik,
I'm not sure if you have missed a point of mine. I do accept Gould as an inovative and important interpreter of Bach, SANS THE VOCALIZING! I can't appreciate any kind of genius at the piano with someone humming in my ear. That's all. If the humming were coming from an audience member they would be quickly removed from the premesis. What am I to do if it's the artist? Determine never to go to his concerts, or buy his recordings (this despite the fact that I own LPs of him performing the Inventions, Sinfonias, Partitas, and the entire WTK).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:22 am 

Deleted

Last edited by Marik on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Marik wrote:
Well, while I can ignore LL's mimics and faces, it would be quite hard to ignore actual listening to something like 'this':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMfz1G7Btyo

Yep, that's some seriously ugly bashing. When LL is good he's great, when he's bad he's awful.

Marik wrote:
On the other hand, I am sure this discussion itself will fall to the bottom of the cyber space, following the fate of many other more or less serious discussions

It probably will. But that won't be your fault Marik :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:04 pm 

:D

Last edited by Marik on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:12 pm 

Marik wrote:
musical-md wrote:
Marik,
I'm not sure if you have missed a point of mine. I do accept Gould as an inovative and important interpreter of Bach, SANS THE VOCALIZING! I can't appreciate any kind of genius at the piano with someone humming in my ear. That's all. If the humming were coming from an audience member they would be quickly removed from the premesis. What am I to do if it's the artist? Determine never to go to his concerts, or buy his recordings (this despite the fact that I own LPs of him performing the Inventions, Sinfonias, Partitas, and the entire WTK).

Thank you for clarifying and finally going from the line "Unfortunately, with Gould I have to close my ears" to letting us know that beyond seing Gould as somebody doing a "fine job" you actually accept him as "an inovative and important interpreter of Bach".

I guess, the whole confusion has started when all of the sudden in the midst of talking about Lang Lang you mentioned Gould's name, which by itself just does not sound right.

In any case, while I still do not understand your position about Gould's humming (thinking that besides his importance in entire history of pianism, there are some other rather important qualities of his playing, which BTW, left quite a deep impact on the performing art of entire generation, which by itself might overshadow his I'd say rather minor natural mannerisms), I can totally respect you decision of not going to his concerts, which anyway would be hard, since he is not alive anymore, or for that matter did not give concerts since 1963, when you were still quite young (and BTW, myself was not quite born yet, for another 2 years).

As for buying his recordings I don't think he will lose much on that one, either, as since 1982 he already did not care about royalties from sales anymore, besides the obvious fact, if one does not want to benefit from touching an important historical figure, or just a darn fine pianist on his own merrits, there is no need to force it.

Best, M

Marik, judging by what you chose to make issue with ... I think you need to see a proctologist for possible removal of a foreign body. This has now descended below the level of a discourse on ideas. I leave you to pick someone else to argue with.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

musical-md wrote:
Marik, judging by what you chose to make issue with ... I think you need to see a proctologist for possible removal of a foreign body. This has now descended below the level of a discourse on ideas. I leave you to pick someone else to argue with.

Gee Eddy, I had not expected you to throw in the towel so soon.
But you do so in great style, I say. A masterly final flourish ! Roll on the proctologist jokes :lol:

Who else will take up the challenge now, I wonder ? I so love to follow a good heated argument :P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:07 pm 

techneut wrote:
musical-md wrote:

Gee Eddy, I had not expected you to throw in the towel so soon.
But you do so in great style, I say. A masterly final flourish ! Roll on the proctologist jokes :lol:

Who else will take up the challenge now, I wonder ? I so love to follow a good heated argument :P

Why thank you Chris. I actually thought I would be excommunicated. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:38 pm 

techneut wrote:
I so love to follow a good heated argument :P

Something missing on this board quite a bit :D :D :D

musical-md wrote:

Hello Muscal-MD,

Thank you for your professional opinion! Before following your advice seeing a proctologist I better remove another foreign body first, i.e. my messages, so hope everybody is happy and the issue is closed.

Thanks everybody for your attention.

Best, M

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:37 am 

Lang Lang is his own style of pianist. I am one who appreciates his style. Especially on Chopin's Heroique Polonaise. He may seem extreme, but he brings his own style of emotion to piano.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:27 am 

Quote:
There are many more pianists who gaze towards the heavens for no good reason and look just as ridiculous if not more. I just stumbled upon this [link]

I think part of the reason pianists look to the stage ceiling when they perform is to prove that they have the music so well memorized, there's no question that they can play without looking at the keys.. it's like the whole "look mommy I'm riding my bike without holding the handlebars" accomplishment. I think it is kind of silly. I don't really mind Lang Lang's theatrics.

This reminds me-- I remember seeing a video on youtube and someone put this in the comments section of Barenboim playing Sonata Pathetique by Beethoven:

1st subject after introduction (1:51) according to:

Glenn Gould: Play it unnecessarily fast.

Willhelm Kempff: Play it like the score says.

Sviatoslav Richter: Play it like I want to play it.

Arthur Rubinstein: Make it sing... kind of like Chopin.

Lang Lang: Shake maniacally while you play it.

Barenboim: Play it, such that it sounds good.

I don't think Lang Lang thinks, "gee I should shake maniacally when I play something." After watching his performance of Bartok's Piano Sonata I think it was clear that his movement while playing shows he is connected to the music. Now I don't know why he looked at the sheet music while he was bouncing on the piano bench--if that was me the idea of using the sheet music at help would be worthless. I'm sure he memorized the music, the sheet music was there just in case.

I also saw a really funny video featuring LL and Tom and Jerry :lol: enjoy:

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1ZdbcEOiNc