Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: How to warm up on an unfamiliar piano?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:50 am 

Thank you, Eddy and Alexander!
It was a small program again. I played two small pieces (Liadov's Barcarolle and "Jesus bleibet meine Freude" by Bach-Kempff) and a pastor made a reading between them. I had to play on a Yamaha baby-grand, which isn't well maintained at all and is very loud. But on the basis of what Alexander suggested, I tried to imagine an acceptable sound and to like the sound. After that I could enjoy the playing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:17 pm 

Congratulations on the wonderful performance, Hye-Jin! I am so excited that everything went well for you. The program sounds very lovely, too. Did you by any chance get a recording? ;)

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, I just saw this now - Congrats from me too, Hye-Jin :!:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:54 pm 

Thank you, Sarah and Monica :D
Sarah, I'd like to have a live recording, too, but I knew that the piano there is not that great :roll:
And your suggestion to "play an easy piece in a relaxed manner" as warmup did work well also at me! :D I sought an easy piece to this purpose and found that I don't have many :roll: Anyway "Für Elise" helped me :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Congratulations Hye-Jin ! For those of us who don't perform regularly, a live performance is usually fraught with stress or even anxiety. But I guess you were well prepared, having fully mastered the pieces and minding the good advices you got here. Then, if only you keep your head cool, which you did, nothing much can go really wrong, which it didn't.

Did nobody capture the recital, even if it was only a little bit filmed with a mobile phone ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:21 pm 

Thank you Chris for the kind words :D After that performance I really think I should organize public performances more often (whereas I haven't done it for myself yet). Surely we amatures need more practices in regard of public performances...
techneut wrote:
Did nobody capture the recital, even if it was only a little bit filmed with a mobile phone ?

Hahaha, the audience consisted of just old pastors and their spouses, so even if I had such an equipment, there was nobody, whom I could ask. But on the other occasion in this season ( :lol: I repeated Lyadov barcarolle already three time in the last two months, so I feel myself a bit like being a touring artist :wink:) one of my friends filmed me playing the same program with his i-phone (that was the day, on which I recorded and submitted the Lyadov piece), but I haven't got it yet. I could ask him about the video, but I don't have the guts to watch it, frankly speaking. The performance was not that successful, because I ate too much delicious things just before playing, which I realized after Alexander's pointing out was a big mistake.

BTW an amusing story from the recent performance just occurred to me. As the host of that event announced that Ms Lee is going to play "Jesus bleibet meine Freude" by J.S.Bach and I walked to the piano, a pastor said among the audience: Which number? flipping through the pages of the hymnal (we actually sang together one song from the book at the very beginning of the event and at that time a musical pastor accompanied us on the piano). He thought at this time I accompany the chorale :lol: :lol: (The German pastors are accustomed to the original work, indeed.)
The host, the most charismatic preacher in our city with a very strong personality, retorted: We don't sing, but listen!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

hyenal wrote:
But on the other occasion in this season ( :lol: I repeated Lyadov barcarolle already three time in the last two months, so I feel myself a bit like being a touring artist :wink:) one of my friends filmed me playing the same program with his i-phone (that was the day, on which I recorded and submitted the Lyadov piece), but I haven't got it yet. I could ask him about the video, but I don't have the guts to watch it, frankly speaking.

Oh but we do, being a fearless bunch :lol: