Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rare music of Ernesto Nazareth
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:59 pm 

Hey the topic seems to have changed here!

You know I looked at the book a little while back only because I am a big believer in the method of memorizing away from the piano by looking at the score first.

I have found it actually helped with my sight reading since it forces you to understand the music, analyze the music, recognize patterns easily etc. All this seems to happen naturally when you study the score away from the piano.

I do remember looking at the book thinking he described the method incompletely. I have always found the most important part of memorizing is being efficient about it, knowing how you memorize, how long it takes to memorize a certain passage and doing it consistently.

Ultimately there is nothing wrong with reading a score. I personally find for recordings, given the small amount of time to memorize vs practice, its hard to justify not doing it. Of course as someone's repertoire grows very large (and as we get older,) its simply not practical to maintain a large amount of music by memory.

Have you guys seen this? I always thought it was cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-xl7_hdWZo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NROegsMqNc

For memorizing numbers, nothing beats the method described here :) Doesn't work for music though :)

pianolady wrote:
Felipe - I'm not telling. :lol:

I could play with the score, but it's hard because the piece (it's Granados) is all over the keyboard and it's hard to look up and down so much. Plus it makes it so that there is a brief stall in the playing because of that. If I could memorize it, I'm sure I could play it better. Still, it's so long....

I have almost this one Chopin mazurka memorized - all except about 8 measures that I can't remember. Grrrr - it's very annoying! Maybe that book you mentioned, Alexandre would help with that too. Have you read it?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:10 pm 

Hi Monica, I've read parts of it and found it very interesting. I'm sure it will contribute somehow to your memorization skills.

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:25 pm 

pianolady wrote:
I could play with the score, but it's hard because the piece (it's Granados) is all over the keyboard and it's hard to look up and down so much. Plus it makes it so that there is a brief stall in the playing because of that. If I could memorize it, I'm sure I could play it better. Still, it's so long....

well... these are the passages that you MUST memorize, otherwise you don't play. hehe
but... what's the medication you would take for becoming relaxed? is it a kind of benzodiazepine? (I mean... does its name end with -pam?)
if so, be careful, because they can cause some memory blanks.

pianolady wrote:
I have almost this one Chopin mazurka memorized - all except about 8 measures that I can't remember. Grrrr - it's very annoying! Maybe that book you mentioned, Alexandre would help with that too. Have you read it?

here you have a point! Chopin's music is REALLY DIFFICULT to memorize, because he makes subtle changes when he repeats... it's a different bass, with a slightly different chord... it's a nightmare!
besides all: the listener can't even notice you're playing a different chord!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Stan - those are pretty neat videos!

Felipe - they're beta-blockers, but they can't be the source of my memory trouble because I've tried them two times and it is only for when performing in front of an actual live audience. No, my problem is that I just have to much junk in my brain. But I am determined to cram in some more music one way or another. Though it makes me feel a little better hearing what you said about Chopin.

Alexander - thank you for your help regarding those two books. I'll start reading the Gieseking book tonight.

(sorry to have gotten so off-topic)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:10 am 

Hey Folks!

Here's another rare Nazareth: his Nocturne Op.1 . Why he subtitled it "Op.1" even though he had almost 200 compositions by then is a mystery. However, this touches the dialectic regarding his "popular" x "concert" pieces. He definetly wanted to be recognized as a concert composer, however he wouldn't imagine that some decades after his death his so called "popular" pieces would be played in important stages such as the Carnegie Hall.

Best,
Alexandre

Nazareth - Noturno, Op. 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Pretty piece! Reminded me of Chopin - also a little Granados. You played it nicely, Alexandre. It's up on the site.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:22 pm 

Hello Monica,
I'm glad you like it!

Best wishes,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:24 am 

Hi Folks,

Here's the 62nd rare Nazareth: the Brazilian tango "Ideal" (which doesn't need translation). It has never been recorded on its original piano solo version.

Hope you like it.

Best,
Alexandre

Nazareth - Ideal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:01 am 

Very nice indeed! Sounds like Brazilian Ragtime?! Great sense of style and rhythmic vitality to music.

BTW, Alexandre, I haven't forgot about the music. :wink: Honestly, the music has been sitting on my desk as I've been deciding on a new scanner. Well, I finally bought one. So hopefully, it will have been worth the wait.

George

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:23 am 

Hi George, thanks for the comments. Glad you like it. Yes, it's kinda like Brazilian ragtime. Nazareth is often compared to Joplin. They're sort of analogs, keeping in mind all the rythmic differences, of course (Nazareth has a lot of syncopation on the left hand).

Great! I'll be waiting for the score, it will certainly be worthwhile.

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi again Alexandre,
That was nice coffee-sipping wake-up music and a nice way to start my day. Well-played, as usual. It's on the site.

btw - do you know how many more Nazareth recordings you will make? I'm thinking of changing the table a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:53 pm 

Hi Monica, I'm glad you like it, thanks.

I can't precise how many more I will make. But, just among his rare works, there are at least 40 more to go.

Best,
Alexandre

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:29 pm 

Hi Folks,

Today I've recorded one of Nazareth's simple songs. It's the Brazilian tango "Beija-Flor" (Hummingbird), which bears lyrics by the author himself. It has never been recorded commercially.

Best,
Alexandre Dias

Nazareth - Beija Flor (Brazilian Tango) (2:51)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Very nice ! I like how you do let the simple music speak for itself. The digital instrument sounds better than most here.
This on the site.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:40 pm 

Very Nice, Alex!

As always, very lovable and professional rendition.

:-)

Kudos!

Marcelo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next