Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re: PS recordings all over the place
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:01 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Chopaninoff wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Sorry to interrupt - I just want to say that last week for the first time I played on a Fazioli piano. Actually, I played on two Faziolis! The smooth tone, the weight of the keys, the una corda pedal - so gorgeous! I really love Fazioli - now my favorite piano!!

How could such a talented pianist like yourself dare to apologize for interrupting? ;) Monica, Did you happen to play on the 4 pedal piano? And yes the smooth touch of the keys cannot be beaten, let alone the sound! you must have played at a big venue! Faziolis are quite a price...

yes, I know about the price! :shock: And no - 'my' pianos had only three pedals. I forgot the model number - think they were around 7 1/2 feet. Here is one of them (sorry about my foot - lol)

And here is the other one:

Please tell me - what is a fourth pedal, what does it do? I have never seen that!

Well Monika...The model that I played on was a F308 which was a 10 feet and 2 inches grand piano! Can you imagine the size of that? Thats almost more than 2 feet longer than a Steinway D. A Steinway D is a great instrument...But imagine a piano 2 feet longer than that? Its sound is just unbeatable...And the key action... My god I played Chopin's etude Op 25 no 12 in C minor and I never played it so smooth and fast! Anyway back to the pedal...It has a fourth pedal of the right and what it does it brings the hammers closer to the strings, decreasing the volume while maintaining the normal tone. Its basically like the Sostenuto pedal but it looks you have the original tone while playing softer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:05 pm 

Terez wrote:
Chopaninoff wrote:
I agree with you on the finger work and the pedaling.

I use the Paderewski edition and the pedal is very strange...He uses the pedal on the bass note and tell us to lift on the chord in the left hand...yet this does not sound right...Well at least to me it does not..so what I do is use the late pedal technique ( I do not know how it is called in English) For example... i will take the F in the left hand, than play the chord (A, C, F) and change the pedal quickly right after I play the chord...Etc. Do you have another way?

I find the 'late pedal' technique to be useful only in the stretto section after the return, and then only sometimes...and it is useful in the way you describe only if there is some reason not to sustain the bass note over the 2nd and 4th beats. In the beginning, I mostly use just damper pedal for each half note (which is how it's marked in Mikuli), but in the place where the melody has dissonance (C-B-C-Db-C), I use the sostenuto pedal to sustain the bass note. Most pianists either allow the dissonance to blur or drop the bass note to change pedal, and I probably would too (likely the former) if not for the other places in the piece that inspire the use of the sostenuto pedal. It seems like a lot of effort for such a simple effect, but I think that we are simply too unaccustomed to using the sostenuto pedal in general.

So I am guessing you are working on using the first pedal...I was never personally taught how to use that pedal. I mean we went over it a few times and my teacher sometimes told me to use it, but never taught me a specific way to use it. Thanks for the information though.. Will certainly try it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Wow - 10' 2" is certainly a huge piano - like one could practically roller-skate on top of it. And I'm sure it does sound spectacular! If I am ever presented with the opportunity to play one like that, I'm sure I would not want to stop. They'll have a hard time pulling me off the bench... :wink:

Thanks for the pedal explanation. Four pedals...I have enough difficulty with three! :)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:48 am 

Chopaninoff wrote:
So I am guessing you are working on using the first pedal...I was never personally taught how to use that pedal. I mean we went over it a few times and my teacher sometimes told me to use it, but never taught me a specific way to use it. Thanks for the information though.. Will certainly try it

The middle pedal, actually. It's a little hard to get the hang of because we're used to the damper pedal. The sostenuto pedal only sustains those notes that are already depressed when the pedal is depressed. I only use the una corda once in the whole piece, not in the last two bars, but in the two before.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:03 am 

Terez wrote:
Chopaninoff wrote:

The middle pedal, actually. It's a little hard to get the hang of because we're used to the damper pedal. The sostenuto pedal only sustains those notes that are already depressed when the pedal is depressed. I only use the una corda once in the whole piece, not in the last two bars, but in the two before.

Ahhh I am sorry! If only my English was as good as my Russian I can live in America peacefully! I do not use the middle pedal that often, unless I am playing a waltz. For instance I will use it in Chopin's Op 64 no 2 in the Piu Mosso section..But you gave me a good idea. Will check that out

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:39 am 
Site Admin

Well, I've finally made it into the movies!

Here are a couple links: (they're both the same)

http://yellowbrickroadthemovie.com/trail.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfX78jrrmi8

That's me at 1:22! And good thing I happen to like scary movies....

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:45 pm 

I remember being upset about finding my recording on another site, and I wondered how it even got there. I do wonder how they get up there.

I wish to get more recordings up, and now I have an idea of the quality of sound that you all want, so, maybe you'll enjoy it more.

I will have to listen to your recording at home. I am at work and the choir director I work for is listening to her piano students finals, so no sound for now. But, I did see the house. Nice. :)

I like the look of the giraffe piano. :) Very interesting.