Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Haydn's Sonata XVI-36 in C# minor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:56 pm 

Dear All,

Please find a recording of Joseph Haydn's sonata Hob XVI-36. This is the first Haydn's sonata I've ever played, and it was really a discovery for me. Nice as Mozart, strong as Beethoven... I took the liberty to change the order of the movements. At least in my edition, the Scherzando is put in second, and the sonata ends by the Menuet, which has a sad and dreamy character. I think this one is better positioned after the (quite long) first movement. Anyway, of course the listener may choose the order he prefers.

The recording was performed on my S 400 B Yamaha, as usual. The sound, that I find sometimes too nasal and percussive, seems to me quite suitable for this music (close to some 'pianoforte'). Hope you enjoy it !

Haydn - Sonata in C-sharp minor, Hob. XVI Nr. 36, I: Moderato

Haydn - Sonata in C-sharp minor, Hob. XVI Nr. 36, II: Menuet

Haydn - Sonata in C-sharp minor, Hob. XVI Nr. 36, III: Scherzando

Post subject: Re: Haydn's Sonata XVI-36 in C# minor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:26 am 
Site Admin

This is up, Francois. I did not have time to listen - only checked that there was a beginning and an end in each file. Also, I changed it around and put the set up in the proper order. Sorry, but I like things to be nice and neat in the tables - also we don't want to confuse any listeners.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:02 pm 

pianolady wrote:
This is up, Francois. I did not have time to listen - only checked that there was a beginning and an end in each file. Also, I changed it around and put the set up in the proper order. Sorry, but I like things to be nice and neat in the tables - also we don't want to confuse any listeners.

Sure ! My suggestion of changing the order was directed towards the forum visitors, but I agree that the Sonata should appear in the Haydn's page in the original order (if it is so...). Thank you for being so reactive. When you have time, I'd like also to have your opinion on this question of movement order...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:20 am 
Site Admin

I can understand why you wanted the 2nd movement to come last. This 3rd movement is slow and subdued, which usually is more common in 2nd movements. And this 2nd movement is upbeat - more common in last movements. But like you, at least until now, I have not played Haydn and can't say I know a whole lot about all his sonatas, so I would not know if this is something that Haydn did often. Still, I think it would be okay if we make the switch here on the forum, so I have done just that. Is that all right, or do want it back the way I had it before? The table on the main site is still the 'traditional' way.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:36 pm 

pianolady wrote:
I can understand why you wanted the 2nd movement to come last. This 3rd movement is slow and subdued, which usually is more common in 2nd movements. And this 2nd movement is upbeat - more common in last movements. But like you, at least until now, I have not played Haydn and can't say I know a whole lot about all his sonatas, so I would not know if this is something that Haydn did often. Still, I think it would be okay if we make the switch here on the forum, so I have done just that. Is that all right, or do want it back the way I had it before? The table on the main site is still the 'traditional' way.

It's OK Monica, do not change anything. And thank you for listening. Beautiful music, isn't it (talking about the composition, not the rendition)?