Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach - Gamba Sonata No.3 BWV 1029
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

Just for laughs then, the outer movements of Bach's 3rd sonata for Viola da Gamba and Cembalo. The gamba is a sort of longer type of violin (gamba == leg) with a deeper sound. Not used much these days and mostly these sonatas are now played on either viola or cello. A harpsichord would be better than a piano and I wish I could get the hang of the figured bass. But never really tried.

This is probably of no more than curiosity value right now... The tempi are very sedate (should be Vivace resp. Allegro). This was basically a warming up for the Brahms sonata, always good stuff to loosen up the fingers. We never really got around to the slow middle movement, which frankly is a bit boring (I hate to say that about any Bach piece...).

Bach - Sonata nr. for Viola da Gamba and Cembalo, BWV 1029
1. Vivace
3. Allegro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

Was that your dog barking at 0:35, 1:28, 1:57 and again at 2:40 Chris (first movement)? Unhappy with the Viola? :D I had a friend in the youth who's dog began to howl when you played harmonica. I am not sure as the viola might do a scratchy sound that could sound similar.

It seems that the movements need more practise and you do not always sound synchronised. But it is not terrible in any way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Yes forgot to warn about that :lol: This was not at my home as you could guess from the piano. They have two puppies that are sort of in puberty now and really irritating (though very sweet). Of course they picked this moment to throw a paddy - the little shits. I was glad they kept quiet during the Brahms.

You're right, these are far from optimal yet. It was just a warming up. Perhaps one day we can produce a 'real' recording although I rather put the big effort in Brahms - there is also the 2nd Sonata which is even more amazing than the first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:19 pm 

Bach sonata? Maybe I should start to collect Bach music (I only have one tape of his violin concertos and one Cd of piano concertos).

Where was the recorder placed? The piano seems a little distant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:10 am 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
Bach sonata?

I think you read it a bit too hasty as seen below.
techneut wrote:
Brahms - there is also the 2nd Sonata which is even more amazing than the first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:30 am 
Site Admin

juufa72 wrote:
Bach sonata? Maybe I should start to collect Bach music (I only have one tape of his violin concertos and one Cd of piano concertos).

Yes maybe you should :D

juufa72 wrote:
Where was the recorder placed? The piano seems a little distant.

About 2.5 meters behind us. Yes it seems it should be nearer to the piano, and further from the violin. Or perhaps I just need to play louder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:18 am 

There are several things I enjoyed much. That is the constant groove and the almost on all places very good tight rhythm connection between you both. I could imagine the vivace movement to be performed more lively, and I would not expect problems from your piano playing side. However since the intonation seems more difficult in faster viola passages it is better to not play faster here.
Your piano trills are very good, fast and evenly!

Why this Bach only as warming up? I can imagine that you prefer the Brahms sonatas because of more work for piano, but overall seen I think you both sound very well here on Bach from the musical side. Also regarding viola playing, I enjoyed almost more as on Brahms. Can't really explain, maybe on baroque pieces the strong side of your duo, the rhythm, is of advantage while romantique pieces like the Brahms is more sensitive towards pitch issues.
Maybe, to enhance the groove more like the modern style of baroque interpretations, is you could both check to put the accents more on the main beats. You do so on piano, could be stronger to my taste, and for Alex even much stronger. It is only so that I watched a very good baroque orchestra from Hanover, they play with much groove and accents and almost without vibrato because this was not invented for string instruments in the baroque time. That sounded very convincing to me. However, without vibrato is even much, much more difficult as with, because the pitch must fit 100% otherwise better with vibrato.

I agree that from recording side, the piano should be louder. If you could afford two separate mics to have separate channels for viola and piano and mix afterwards together, it would be sound more professional from recording quality. Is worth the effort.

techneut wrote:
They have two puppies that are sort of in puberty now and really irritating (though very sweet). Of course they picked this moment to throw a paddy - the little shits. I was glad they kept quiet during the Brahms.

No, they did not throw a paddy. That is the dog style to spent applause, the first woof was after a very good long piano trill. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for your support !

MindenBlues wrote:
Your piano trills are very good, fast and evenly!

And some of these are not even indicated in the score ! I just wish I could do them like that on my own grand.... This old Steinway has a wonderful light touch.

MindenBlues wrote:
Why this Bach only as warming up?

We always start off with one of these sonatas before moving on to the more difficult fare. I guess we should spend an entire session on this sonata one time, so that we can get up to speed (it needs to go much faster).

MindenBlues wrote:
Maybe, to enhance the groove more like the modern style of baroque interpretations, is you could both check to put the accents more on the main beats. You do so on piano, could be stronger to my taste, and for Alex even much stronger.

Yes I agree, and at a normal speed this will be better. But it is a dangerous thing as it is easily overdone in which case you get this dreadful hurried hack-a-tack style of Bach playing. I want to watch out for that.

MindenBlues wrote:
No, they did not throw a paddy. That is the dog style to spent applause, the first woof was after a very good long piano trill. :lol:

Hehe... it is true, dogs have more taste than humans.
Yesterday my dog came to lie right next to my feet when I was playing. Sweet, I thought... until she started farting :roll: Apparently had been banned from the living room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:48 am 

techneut wrote:
Hehe... it is true, dogs have more taste than humans.
Yesterday my dog came to lie right next to my feet when I was playing. Sweet, I thought... until she started farting :roll: Apparently had been banned from the living room.

Can you draw a connection to your playing at that moment? If dogs have more taste than humans, you should check your playing if that happens... :lol:

When I start heavy practising, my dog leaves the room and prefers to hang out in the cold floor instead. That reinforces the theory regarding dog's taste...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:52 am 
Site Admin

MindenBlues wrote:
Can you draw a connection to your playing at that moment?

Yeah, fully worth farting at, as usual :lol:

MindenBlues wrote:
When I start heavy practising, my dog leaves the room and prefers to hang out in the cold floor instead. That reinforces the theory regarding dog's taste...

Only says something about your dog's taste :wink:

But hey, we are way OT here. It is Robert's fault, he started about dogs !