Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: 2-part invention in E-flat major
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

It was time to record another of the 2-part Inventions and this time I picked no.5 in E-flat major. Well, a bit shaky but I think it will do for now, will it?

2-part Invention no.5 in E-flat major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Not shaky at all ! It is bright, clear, and confident. Perhaps a bit on the slow side, but otherwise very convincing. You have your own peculiar style of executing trills, I won't pick on that no more (doesn't seem to help anyway :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:25 am 
Site Admin

I listened to this without the score, but it sounds nice to me. Good job, Robert.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:09 am 

Very clearly stated. Your performance leaves no doubt in my mind as to what you intended to say. It's completely convincing. (There is something different about your trills, not that there's anything wrong with that!) :lol:

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:13 am 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
Not shaky at all ! It is bright, clear, and confident. Perhaps a bit on the slow side, but otherwise very convincing. You have your own peculiar style of executing trills, I won't pick on that no more (doesn't seem to help anyway :P )

Hehe, no it doesn't. I think I should consult my piano teacher.

It felt a bit shaky as I read it from score (I usually play things from heart but had not this memorized well enough) but when I listen to it today it sounds pretty steady. A short hesitation at 1:07 but well, I should not pick my own mistake out ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:39 am 

Your recording sounds very convincing to me. It may be a bit on the slower side, but what is important, you give the notes a meaning and phrase, and that is what can be recognized. It comes through what you like to say, that's it!

Regarding ornaments, it seems that nowadays one plays them more individual than to Bach's time. I just read the book from C.P.E.Bach, translated like "Attempt about the real art to play the piano". What is interesting, that in this surprisingly thick book the manner to play the ornaments have high rank. Every ornament is written down and the execution explained in detail. Since old Bach was the only teacher to his son, one can conclude he wrote down what J.S.Bach meant. To Bach's time the ornaments must have been much importance. otherwise he would not have written over 50 pages only about that. One should at least give the table of the ornaments a try how it sounds if one plays them as originally intended. Sorry for coming off topic...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:01 am 
Site Admin

It would for sure be very interesting to read more about Bach's treatment of ornament and I guess I own him that :). I will try to get hold on this information. I think I have a bookmark which summarize it and there are probably a book written about it somewhere.