Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:40 pm 

pianolady wrote:
techneut wrote:
Not sure what you are referring to exactly.
But contrary to what I thought, you can get refill kits for laser toners.

There are companies who put out ink cartridges that fit the major manufacturers' printers, but they are only a fraction of the cost. (You find them only on the Internet.) Over here, a typical price for a black cartridge by HP, Epson, Canon etc. is about $20 but these other guys sell them for about $7.00. I tried these other replacement cartridges, but I think that may have been what killed my printer. I can't be sure about that, but I am going back to buying the name-brand cartridges again.

I have a Samsung laser printer, cause I have to print a lot of documents for my dissertation works. And it is of course very suitable to print the sheet music, too. I use a refilled toner now after its original toner got empty, and it still works very well (and economic, too).

Post subject: Re: Printers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:09 pm 

Maybe it's too late, but I think this is worth reading anyway, Monica !

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:52 pm 
Site Admin

Never too late for a good gig ! This is so funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for posting that Henri. I'll bookmark this oatmeal site.

Rather OT but also great fun is this one http://www.thewebsiteisdown.com/
I especially like Episode #1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:16 pm 

Hey I like that kind of geeky humour (though I cannot say I got all the jokes there :-)). Especially liked when the guy replaces the desktop icons with the screen capture. Thanks for that, Chris, I'll be watching the other episodes within a few days !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

supitalp wrote:
Hey I like that kind of geeky humour (though I cannot say I got all the jokes there :-)). Especially liked when the guy replaces the desktop icons with the screen capture.

Haha yes, that is priceless isn't it ! I love that kind of stuff too, especially when it is about tech support (which is what I do).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:01 am 

Monica, if you're printing only B&W, then a laser printer is the best. I used an HP Office Laserjet for 10 years continuously in my office, and after 120,000 pages, I finally replaced it with another HP Laser printer. I do a lot of photo printing, an if you want a printer that also does photos Epson is #1, then Canon is a very close #2.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:06 am 
Site Admin

Well, so far I am liking my Canon. No problems yet, but I did just replace the black ink cartridge. Also, it does make a lot of click clickety noise like what is described in that site that Henri posted (which is btw very funny - I just forgot to say that earlier.) Maybe my next printer will be a laser printer. Be interesting (to me) to see how it takes me to kill one of those.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:43 pm 

I realize this is an inactive topic, but thought I'd offer a comment anyway. I love my HP Deskjet 6940. I do almost all of my printing using the draft option which saves a lot of ink. Last week I learned that HP had recently discontinued manufacturing the 6940, but found it was still available online. So I ordered a new one (as a backup should the old one croak someday as it's getting old), and stashed it in the basement. :)

UPDATE: Recently the old HP 6940 took its last gasp and had to go to the landfill. The new one is now out of storage, set up, and delivering excellent service with no learning curve necessary on my part. So my replacement strategy worked ever so well and was timely too! :D

David