Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:18 pm 

Whatever people think about Lang Lang, I think he is not the kind of pianist most people think a pianist should be. That's all.

He plays like a circus artist. Some people will find that attracting, others disturbing.

I have no opinion about this (I had, too many, so I dropped them all).

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

lol_nl wrote:
He plays like a circus artist. Some people will find that attracting, others disturbing.

Very true. He can woo any audience by just making the most awful racket, playing 200 notes per second, and they will lap it up and stand on their toes applauding. I can see why some critics describe him as completely tasteless and non-musical.

Yet I think there is a genuine musician under all that greasepaint. I heard some excerpt on the radio the other day from his new CD of Chinese music. While the piece itself was little more than watered-down Debussy with black bean sauce, I think he played this with great sensitivity musicality. I also must take heed of my teacher's comment, who was present at a masterclass by Lang Lang, on Mozart I think, and she said he has a very solid musical background, and lots of intersting things to say about this repertoire.

My guess is he may well grow out of the silly antics and be a real great pianist yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:48 am 
Lang Lang plays much better with an orchestra than alone, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:24 am 
Site Admin

saori wrote:
"Virtuosos play what they want, others play what they can."

That reminds me of an Argerich quote I read recently, when she commented on a fellow pianist:

Quote:
He is a good pianist, but he does only what is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:12 pm 
Another quick observation about Lang Lang............We have had a higher density of responses to this forum topic than many others discussing pianist of....finer quality. Doesn't that suggest that though Lang Lang isn't producing beautiful music on a regular basis, he is at least generating interest in classical music as a genre.....Most non-musicians know of only several concert pianists.....and usually one of them is Lang Lang. If he is bringing people into the world of music, eventually culture will win them over and they will see past his make-up....I'm not condoning his antics, only trying to see the good in the bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:39 am 

I agree. Lang Lang is a perfect way to bring over classical music to the youth (to the people of my age lets say 8) :lol: ). They are seriously not interested if they see an old guy like Brendel playing there or Pollini with his strange face. Lang Lang will make them laugh and that's all they need 8).

Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:03 am 

Quote:
Pollini with his strange face.

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. Sometimes, he (Pollini) screws up his upper lip and nose as though he's trying to ignore something smelly. :lol:

(I digress.)

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:52 pm 
He's simply worthless. His fellow colleague, Yundi Li, is far more musical than he is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uEXI6_JFCUg

it's Liszt, but nothing like Lang Lang's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:06 am 
Site Admin

britishaznerd wrote:
He's simply worthless. His fellow colleague, Yundi Li, is far more musical than he is.

I would agree with the latter assessment. But that this makes LL "simply worthless" is a bit of a sweeping statement to put it mildly. Better perhaps would be to say that some of his performances are simply worthless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:40 pm 
I guess you're right.

but a blatantly clear example of him playing for the camera was that at a certain concert (mostly mozart?) the camerapeople had been careful of not letting Lang Lang know that cameras are broadcasting his performance on TV. But right in the middle of the piece, he visibly changed his attitude when it seemed as though he caught sight of a camera. He played a lot more excitedly and exuberantly.

Infallible evidence of a showman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:32 am 

LL isn't worthless, he's just highly prone to fits of histrionics. Unpredictable might be the word. YL is much more stable and generally more agreeable than LL, IMO.

PF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:25 pm 

I know a guy who had to laugh when he went to a concert of Lang Lang in Amsterdam. He had to laugh very loud four times and the people all watched him, lol. He just couldn't bear it anymore... He didn't know why he laughed, but mainly because of the way Lang Lang plays. He said the only "normally" played piece was Mozart's K. 330. The rest was hilarious.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:24 am 
Lang Lang is an excellent pianist, but this piece is bloody awful. Not one of Lizst's better moments! Empty virtuosity is all it displays, to be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:32 pm 
I can't get over the intense criticism of Lang-Lang. Myself, i only began to appreciate classical music about a year or so ago and i can tell you that the performance aspect of his playing is very entertaining, despite the complaints of all the 'traditional' pianists. You see, i find most pianists who have lang-lang's ability extremely boring to watch, with little personality playing only the 'accepted' interpretation or something very close, without actually feeling the music. The problem with classical music is that too many traditionalist demand that an interpreter should obey the composers exact desires, and not make the piece their own-at the very least i find it near impossible to really feel the music when following the music with tempo changes kept to a minimal for example. I'm not saying Lang lang is the most brilliant pianist, but i am saying most of the comments against him appear to be either jealous, or by people who can't recognize a nice interpretation. For example i think Lang Lang's interpretation of Nocturne 27 no .2 is far better than Pollini's yet he is criticized (see youtube) Anyway, i believe the tradtionalists are killing classical music, because it cannot advance, nor entertain anyone, if a pianist playing Polonaise Op. 53 looks as stone cold dead as chopin himself. Even if it is an act by Lang Lang (in some cases is true, but not all) he is entertaining-i'm just concerned because i love classical music and i fear it will fade away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:22 pm 

As I said already I don't like him. He just changes the pieces so it looks faster and sometimes he makes it easier. But I think classical music needs this kind of people because most people like him and his playing. he is promoting classical music very much.

while composing I've got always an picture in my head 'beethoven'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next