Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: editing program
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:20 am 
Site Admin

My old audio editing program (Wavepad) does not work anymore and so I need to replace it. I know about Audacity - in fact I do still have it operating fine. But I found that Audacity alters the sound quality when converting my files from wav to mp3, so I always did that in the other program. Before I purchase a new version of Wavepad, I am wondering if you members can tell me what program you use, and if you'd still recommend it.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:21 am 
Site Admin

I can still recommend CoolEdit (nowadays called Adobe Audition). I think these programs are like cars - all good but whichever you choose, there's always gonna be one or two little things you don't like.
But why should you need to buy a new WavePad just because you have a new computer ? What is the problem with it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

It just won't open. I have the program on this computer, but when I tried to open it, I got a message saying that it won't work with Windows 7. So then I went to their website to see if I could get an updated version, but they want me to pay for it again. That's why I'm not sure if I should do that or maybe try another program, instead. I'll check out that Adobe program, thanks for the tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Blimey, that is a rip off :shock:
I thought anything that works on XP or Vista was supposed to work in Windows 7. Puts me right off the idea up upgrading....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Just checked out Adobe Audition. Do you have the free version, or did you buy it? They want $350 for it. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
Just checked out Adobe Audition. Do you have the free version, or did you buy it? They want $350 for it. :shock:

Any more daft questions :lol:
It's Cool Edit Pro V2.0 quite old (2002), long before Adobe snapped it up, but works for me. This can still be downloaded, including a crack, even a newer version (2.1) from various torrents. Your sons will know hot to do that, I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:45 am 

techneut wrote:
I thought anything that works on XP or Vista was supposed to work in Windows 7. Puts me right off the idea up upgrading....

That's Microshaft for you. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:54 pm 

techneut wrote:

Heck, with Microsofts history, its amazing that anything even works on XP or Vista. You expect anything to work beyond that?

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

I see Microsoft bashing is a popular game here too. All Mac users, I guess.
However seeing that they're powering, what, 90%, of the home PC market, and an ever-growing share of the commercial server market, while yet doing massive technological innovation, I believe they are doing an amazing job despite the numerous goof-ups. Whether we need major new Windows versions evert year or so is debatable of course. But this happens anywhere else too.
Professionally, I can't help having respect for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

I am liking Windows 7 much more than Vista. Still haven't figured everything out yet, but so far, so good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:10 am 

techneut wrote:
However seeing that they're powering, what, 90%, of the home PC market, and an ever-growing share of the commercial server market, while yet doing massive technological innovation, I believe they are doing an amazing job despite the numerous goof-ups. Whether we need major new Windows versions evert year or so is debatable of course. But this happens anywhere else too.

Since they are convicted monopolists, I don't trust 'em as far as I can throw 'em. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Trust them, that is another matter... I'm referring to their technology which is not half as bad as many people seem to think. Yes they're monopolists, are they not all ? Or aspiring to be ? They do, at last, make a honest effort to listen to their users. I still prefer the Microsoft monopoly to the anarchy of Linux, of which there are at least 3 or 4 dozen different versions, and where you have to rely on some happy hacker to fix your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:55 pm 

techneut wrote:

I'm a PC and I bash them anyway. I'm an equal opportunity basher.

Actually, when programs (particularly specialized programs) don't work on an operating system upgrade, it is often because the author's of the program used some sleight of hand to provide a feature or get additional speed -- they didn't follow the rules. They entered the OS through some hidden door.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

RSPIll wrote:
Actually, when programs (particularly specialized programs) don't work on an operating system upgrade, it is often because the author's of the program used some sleight of hand to provide a feature or get additional speed -- they didn't follow the rules. They entered the OS through some hidden door.

That could be so, especially with older software. But typical software these days doesn't do that and yet will often break because of a change of behaviour in OS components or interfaces, forcing the programmer to make changes. But I guess this is so far OT now that it won't be of any interest to most here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:00 am 
Site Admin

I've been meaning to ask a question for about the past five years but kept forgetting: When you all click on a PS file, does it open in Quicktime? It does for me (unless I'm doing admin business and have to 'save file' the recording). Is it possible to change this so that another program opens? All my other stuff opens in Windows Media Player and I wish the PS recordings did as well.

The reason I'm asking this now is that when I click on PS recordings, Quicktime opens but all I get is a black skinny rectangle - there is no stop/play/pause button. Here is a screenshot of what I see: