Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: an acceptable headphone for a digital piano?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:32 am 

First, I don't know whether writing this topic here is acceptable... :roll: Perhaps does it belong to the "General" forum?
As written on my last topic I bought me a digital piano (CA 71 of KAWAI) and need a headphone for practicing at nights. I'm currently using a ultra cheap one (ca. 8 € on the internet shop) which I got free of charge as I ordered my Zoom recorder and the sound is miserable... (Sometimes I used this also for monitoring recording sessions out... Now I find that unbelievable :shock: )
So I'm searching a headphone for practicing on the digital. Actually I ordered one at 20€ and sent it back. Now I'm think of a price under 50€... On an advice from a music store a headphone over 100€ was recommended. But my notebook computer seems to end its life soon (it is over 5 years old), I cannot afford such an expensive one.
Does anybody have a nice experience with headphones in that price range? It would be very helpful to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:42 pm 

You live in Germany and ask about headphones?! Oh boy, perhaps the next oxymoron would be an Arab asking about horses?

Joking aside, you should seriously consider the advice from the music store and get a really good pair of headphones. Living in Germany, you could easily pick a bargain on a Beyerdynamic (DT series) or a Sennheiser (HD series). Personally, I have a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and a Sennheiser HD 650 and I think it'll be a long time before I need to look for headphones again.
The Austrian makers, AKG, also have a reputation for fine headphones but their sound comes down to personal taste (I find them to be a little harsh on everything).

The biggest advantage of headphones is that you can have inexpensive access to high-end sound. I am not familiar with digital pianos but I am sure you will appreciate the huge sonic difference of a good headphone set on your digital. And it will not cost so much.

Having said that, I would not be so optimistic about finding good headphones under 100 Euros. Differences between cheapos don't justify the time you spend picking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:29 pm 

wiser_guy wrote:
You live in Germany and ask about headphones?! Oh boy, perhaps the next oxymoron would be an Arab asking about horses?

You meant a pleonasm, didn't you? Anyway, you never can tell -the best pizza I've ever had was in France. :o

wiser_guy wrote:
Differences between cheapos don't justify the time you spend picking.

Hye-Jin, I think this is good advice. Go to some reliable electronic store and ask for their best value headphones for your 50 EUR or so.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:20 pm 
Site Admin

alf wrote:
Anyway, you never can tell -the best pizza I've ever had was in France. :o

You've never been to my kitchen - I make a pretty mean pizza too!

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:22 pm 

alf wrote:
You meant a pleonasm, didn't you? Anyway, you never can tell -the best pizza I've ever had was in France.

Ha, a Greek messing up the use of greek words! That would be oxymoron also.
Well, oxymoron in Greek apart from meaning the conjunction of two contradictory terms, it also means absurd or illogical or ridiculous. For example a salesman, to be considered extremely capable, should be able to overcome the oxymoron of selling ice to Eskimos.

And since you mentioned, you haven't tasted my pizza yet. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:34 pm 

Thanks for your precious advises, Pantelis and Alfonso!

w g wrote:
You live in Germany and ask about headphones?!

I've never thought that I'm living in a so sound-technically advanced country. Because all handy recorders and all digital pianos that I've been interested in and researched so far were Japanese... Well, I met the name "Senheiser" often and it sounds really like German in fact :wink:

w g wrote:
Living in Germany, you could easily pick a bargain on a Beyerdynamic (DT series) or a Sennheiser (HD series). Personally, I have a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and a Sennheiser HD 650 and I think it'll be a long time before I need to look for headphones again.

Yes, it was exactly the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro that was recommended to me :!: They sell this model at 149 € in Germany. Is it a cheaper price compared to buying that in Greece?

alf wrote:
Go to some reliable electronic store and ask for their best value headphones for your 50 EUR or so.

Yes, I will. Or wait until I save money for a high end...? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:42 pm 

Oh, I forgot something to ask again. Pantelis, you seem to know about headphones very well. What is an "open" headphone and "closed" headphone? And is there a special feature that I should consider at buying one mainly for an instrument? (I think those models you named are good for everything, though.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Admin

alf wrote:
You meant a pleonasm, didn't you? Anyway, you never can tell -the best pizza I've ever had was in France. :o

The worst I ever had was in Rome :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:49 pm 

pianolady wrote:
alf wrote:

Is yours Chicago Style???? And how about some Chicago Italian Beef???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

RSPIll wrote:
pianolady wrote:
alf wrote:

Is yours Chicago Style???? And how about some Chicago Italian Beef???

Oh, you're making me hungry and I just got back from the gym. Guess I can always go right back there after I've eaten some pizza and a beef sandwich. :lol:

(sorry for the OT, Hye-Jin. I'm going to go eat now...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:25 pm 

hyenal wrote:
I've never thought that I'm living in a so sound-technically advanced country. Because all handy recorders and all digital pianos that I've been interested in and researched so far were Japanese...

Yes, but when it comes to microphones and headphones...

Sennheiser are very German all right. The same stands for Beyer too. Prices in Greece are almost the same as in Germany. But I think in German e-shops you could really pick a bargain on these. There are "Compare prices" services available on the Internet. I bought mine from a German online shop this way at very low prices indeed.

A "closed" headphone is one that offers increased isolation from external sounds. It creates a space between your ears and its small speakers and it is designed so that external noises are cut out, sometimes very effectively. This way you can listen without interference in the subway, in a noisy environment etc. These could be used for example by a DJ in a club, or by a drummer in a live situation. Also in a studio, where the singer wants to hear the band in order to sing but the sound engineer needs only the singer's voice on the microphone, nothing else.

An "open" type is one that does not isolate your ears from the environment, so when it plays, it can be heard by others nearby and you can hear the others also. This type offers (in some cases) tremendous sound quality at a very affordable type.

A closed headphone is almost always inferior in terms of sound quality to an open type. If you don't play the piano in a very noisy environment, then go for an open type. The DT 770 Pro is a great set and you can also check the Sennheiser HD 515 or the very popular 555 at the same price tag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:37 am 

techneut wrote:
alf wrote:

The worst I ever had was in Rome :P

That simply proves that I'm way more discerning than you in choosing an eatery. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:46 am 

Monica & Pantelis, I believe you but remember that the authentic pizza is baked in a wood-fired oven!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:47 am 
Site Admin

alf wrote:
Monica & Pantelis, I believe you but remember that the authentic pizza is baked in a wood-fired oven!

oh yeah, I've got one of those... :lol: Seriously, Alfonso - I make The best pizza!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:36 am 

pianolady wrote:
alf wrote:

oh yeah, I've got one of those... :lol: Seriously, Alfonso - I make The best pizza!

OK, then when I enter the CAPC in 20XX, I'll drop by and try it. Get ready! :lol: